Turn on thread page Beta

Gay couple vs Grandparents!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Why is it unfair on the child? I would've thought you'd support gay adoption since you so passionately advocate freedom.
    If Society were 100% tolerant and people 100% understanding, it would be ok. Unfortunately, we aren't. Sorry, but I don't think people who advocate this have considered exactly what their life would be like should they have been adopted by a gay couple. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gay marriage, but gay adoption is where gay marriage stops affecting simply two people and starts affecting a third, without their consent or choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    If Society were 100% tolerant and people 100% understanding, it would be ok. Unfortunately, we aren't. Sorry, but I don't think people who advocate this have considered exactly what their life would be like should they have been adopted by a gay couple. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gay marriage, but gay adoption is where gay marriage stops affecting simply two people and starts affecting a third, without their consent or choice.
    TBH I'd rather live with a gay couple who loved me than an orphanage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    TBH I'd rather live with a gay couple who loved me than an orphanage.
    Well tbh, this is the problem, because you are assuming on behalf of the child. Of course, so am I, which makes it even more problematic, but you're assuming that everyone will agree with your assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Well tbh, this is the problem, because you are assuming on behalf of the child. Of course, so am I, which makes it even more problematic, but you're assuming that everyone will agree with your assumption.
    Well, when we allow anyone to adopt a child, especially really young ones who don't get any say, we're making an assumption on the child's behalf anyway. And there are, actually, a lot of checks and balances in the adoption system (which is the reason adopting a child is quite so difficult). I don't assume everyone will agree with my position (I mean, I have read a coupla pages of this thread), but really, just because a child might be bullied for something, should we not allow it to be adopted? Heck, I remember when I was like 7 that "you were adopted!" was a general all-purpose insult. Should we not let children be adopted at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    You what?
    It's not a fact that your parents' sexuality doesn't influence your own.
    My parents' relationship and their behaviour towards each other has determined my sexuality and my behaviour towards my partners to a great extent. Stop treating everything like it's a sign of bigotism, we were discussing what would be best for the kids, not the would-be adopters. which is the only reasonable thing to do if we're discussing an adoption, and which discussion, no couple that genuinely wants a child would object to, gay or straight.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.