Turn on thread page Beta

I'm Sick To Death Of.................... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    this thread is sooo old! what prompted you to post on it?
    it was there

Another thing that annoys me is the fact that some of my threads get completely overlooked anf no-one even bothers looking at them, let alone posting one them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, it really doesn't. It just means that your parents can pay for you to be educated at a good school. There are plenty of good non-fee-paying schools around, and the people there aren't any worse than the people at public school. In fact, I'm sure a lot of them are better, because they have a more normal outlook on life.
    Totally with you on that. i go to the number one school in the country, and hey guess what, i DON'T HAVE TO PAY. the top 6 schools are grammars, which you don't pay for either. the highest public school comes in at number 8. think about it. it kinda suggests brazil whatever that you're too stupid to realise not all good things can be bought. try thinking outside the box and realising you're not special for being born into a family who has money - getting on and making some for yourself is the best way to say your worth anything. get a grip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mauri)
    Totally with you on that. i go to the number one school in the country, and hey guess what, i DON'T HAVE TO PAY. the top 6 schools are grammars, which you don't pay for either. the highest public school comes in at number 8. think about it. it kinda suggests brazil whatever that you're too stupid to realise not all good things can be bought. try thinking outside the box and realising you're not special for being born into a family who has money - getting on and making some for yourself is the best way to say your worth anything. get a grip!
    I beleive grammar schools should be scrapped because all the students beleive they are somehow superior to all students who don't get in.

ReputationRep:
    I beleive grammar schools should be scrapped because all the students beleive they are somehow superior to all students who don't get in.[/QUOTE]
    not true. although re-reading what i said it sounds like that. grammar's just intensify the learning of those who are a little ahead. its like a gamble to see how far you can go, and how much you CAN achieve. that doesn't mean you do. the point i was making was that it is not necessary to pay to get a good education. education is what you make it - at the end of the day who cares where you came from? surely its about where you're going to, and what you can be. i take it you're not from a grammar then (that's not prejudice, that's a question based on evidence given!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mauri)
    not true. although re-reading what i said it sounds like that. grammar's just intensify the learning of those who are a little ahead. its like a gamble to see how far you can go, and how much you CAN achieve. that doesn't mean you do. the point i was making was that it is not necessary to pay to get a good education. education is what you make it - at the end of the day who cares where you came from? surely its about where you're going to, and what you can be. i take it you're not from a grammar then (that's not prejudice, that's a question based on evidence given!)
    their is a boy in my class that is getting straight As in his A2s and their not easy ones either. he is doing maths, physics, electronics and IT, and is acing them. Now, he is in a comprihensive, and yet he has done this how, not because he has be bunged in a single sex environment and taught latin, but because he has worked hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIGTIG)
    all i hear is cambridge this cambridge that will you all SHUTUP about cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge and more cambridge
    WHAT THINGS DO YOU FIND ABSOLUTETLY IRRATATING?
    lol.... just spotted this thread. I'm like a million years behind, but, erm...

That's why there's a separate sub-forum, so that if you don't want to read about it, YOU DONT HAVE TO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    their is a boy in my class that is getting straight As in his A2s and their not easy ones either. he is doing maths, physics, electronics and IT, and is acing them. Now, he is in a comprihensive, and yet he has done this how, not because he has be bunged in a single sex environment and taught latin, but because he has worked hard.
    Ok, from what I can see, there seems to be a lot of predjudice and a lot of misconceptions about the 'unknown' in this forum. I was educated at a private boarding school, (never took Latin..!), and worked my arse off to get the grades I did and to get into Uni. I went to private school, not because my parents could afford it, but because they willingly sacrificed holidays, cars etc in order to fund my schooling. I'm not saying that they were right to do this, but from their own experience of state education, they did not want me to experience the same. Of course, the state system has changed dramatically since their time, and I know of many people who have really enjoyed their time there, but that was their experience.

So this was my background, but I would never be derogatory in any way about someone with a different education to me. As you say, there are many state schools that produce higher results than private schools.

I feel that the main difference between the two is not to do with money or class, but to do with environment and teaching. Different people thrive in different environments. At the end of the day, if you've got the will to succeed (in anyway that it is possible to define "succeed") then you will, wherever you are, and as long as you are happy where ever you go to school, surely that's all that matters. What's best for one person, isn't always the best for someone else.
    You may say that some people don't have this option due to financial situations, but many (if not all) private schools offer scholarships to those who they can see have the enthusiasm and the will to achieve good academic results (they don't necessarily have to be the brightest in the year).

Well, these are my thoughts anyway, feel free to pick them to bits!!...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expredders)
    Speaking of Cambridge, what is their entry requirement for Law?
    Hi if you're still interested, typical Cambridge offers are usually triple A as you all know. My friend - she got in for Law with an offer of AAB though. Depends if they like it dunnit? (Mind you, my friend deserves to get in - Cambridge is privileged to have her. Everyone knew she would get in Cam. I bet she'd be such a gd barrister by the end of it. She works for it - she deserves it.)

all i hear is cambridge this cambridge that will you all SHUTUP about cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge cambridge and more cambridge
    Um, i find you irritating, though i bet somebody has already said that.

ReputationRep:
    OH LET ME SEE LET ME DRAW YOU UP A LIST:
    WELL LIVED IN PLYMOUTH DAD WAS IN THE NAVY OH HOW MIDDLE CLASSED BUT VERY RESPECTABLE IS YOUR BUISNESSES AS RESPECTABLE NO I THINK NOT.
    I WENT: GLEN PARK SCHOOL
    CHADDLEWICH SCHOOL
    MARY DEANS CATHOLIC SCHOOL
    WIDEWELL SCHOOL
    SIR JOHN HUNT COMMUNITY COLLEGE
    CONEY GREEN HIGH SCHOOL
    STANFORD HIGH SCHOOL
    DERBY SCIENCE AND ART COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL
    HA WANT MORE?I CANT REMEMBER
    YAYYYY!!!!!! I used to live in Plymouth - it's great! Btw, Tigtig, quit using capitals it's seriously hard to read. And btw why in the world are you bothering with brasil85? He (or she) is clearly not worth your time and energy. Brasil85 should be banned from the board. Money isn't everything and if he can't see this then well, I pity him, cus he can't be very clever due to lack of common sense. (Sorry hope I wans't too nasty? But seriously brasil85, why seperate friends into 'poor' and 'rich' - isn't it their person that matters? You don't makes friends with their money, after all.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I beleive grammar schools should be scrapped because all the students beleive they are somehow superior to all students who don't get in.

Since the thread's been bumped, I may as well say that that's a completely unfair comment. We work hard too, and I can't think of anyone in my school who thinks that she's better than people from one of the local comprehensives. Grammar schools aren't full of ***** with a superiority complex, just people who managed to tick the right boxes on a multiple choice exam. (Maybe a little exaggerated, but y'know.)
    The results for the grammar schools near me aren't good because it happens to be called a grammar school, they're good because the pupils and the teachers work hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Um, i find you irritating, though i bet somebody has already said that.
    How many times is this idiot going to keep doing this?! Argh!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    I got 8A and three b at gcse level, i also did A level Re I got a B for that. I also did A Level Classical Civilisation and got very good mark. Oh yes my father left the army when I was one. You see I am clever. Did you do History GCSE one year before the rest of you class well?
    Hi. No offense but that's supposed to be good? I come from state school and granted I got one C in German, but I got six A* three As and two Bs and came either fifth or sixth in my year. Honestly, brasil85 - and from a private?

Sorry just had to say this cus you think you're so high and up-there.

ReputationRep:

Who was rejected by Cambridge?!

(Original post by Ellie4)
    How many times is this idiot going to keep doing this?! Argh!!!!
    You mean them *****ing or me spamming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    You mean them *****ing or me spamming?
    Looking at some of the other boards I'm going to assume she means irisng digging up ancient threads.

(Original post by AndyT)
    Looking at some of the other boards I'm going to assume she means irisng digging up ancient threads.
    lol ok, phew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Cambridge is the best University in the world. How dare you just beacuse you are stupid and can't get into cambridge. I should be going to cambridge soon so up yours. You must be working class.
    LOL cambridge as a place is a shithole and yes i have lived there and ****ed most of my life up there

ReputationRep:
    Personally in my opinion, I wonder why people are actually interested in Cambridge? Ok, it is like a top University with great education facilities, teachers and very good future job opportunities, BUT it's so compellingly challenging, and you know you're always surrounded by 'smart' people. It's like another world of it's own, surrounded by superior intellectual competitive students.

I find you are not within a population of people that are "different". Take a standard University for example, like Manchester, it's filled with so many different people each who have their own distinct characteristics and specialities that could be directly unrelated to excellence in academia. Yes, you can argue Cambridge students also have these people, but their academic achievement is always far too important for them that skews them away from the 'norm'. I just don't see myself coping with these Cambridge people.

Fact is, I did hit all the requirements to apply for Cambridge (or Oxford), but I find academia is just not that important to me and I hate taking on unnecessary stress and pressure. You may think, if I hit the requirements, then I pretty much get high grades, which is sort of true, but I don't revise exceedingly long hours like some of my fellow possible Cambridgers, and I don't sob or sulk if I don't hit an A grade, as long as I know I've put the most effort I could into the exam. Whoever have an offer at Cambridge/Oxford, don't pretend you don't sob or sulk when you don't hit your target A or 85%+ mark - YOU ALL DO (this is a fact in my school, in my relatives' and friends' schools that live in a different city to me - so there's no denying)

Social life, good fun, making 'real' friends, and good enough teaching and facilities is what I aim for at University. Real friends? Yes as in those that can be really sophisticated or those with simple warm-hearted minds - you won't get simple minds in Cambridge.

Ok, I know I have been really grim to people who are going to or are at Cambridge University, but my opinion is bias and I apologise. I have been to a Cambridge open day, and the poshness and arrogance of some of the students already studying there put me off considerably. There's also my uncles friend who dropped out of Cambridge during his first year due to the lack of normal social life (the ones he was use to in normal school) and also general pressure. He's now a happy and rich engineer after he went to one of the London Universities (can't remember which one).

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

Unless you've been to one I don't see how you can pass comment- and looking at local comps I think they should celebrate Grammar schools and Private schools!

Oxford is good too! Not everyone that does oxbridge is the bad sort- loads of them are really nice... And as people have said before if you don't want to hear about cambridge don't read the threads- and why not be proud of what you doing and where your studying>?!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.