Official Bankside 2009 Thread Watch

Frontier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by whats_its_face)
Committee was awesome last year in the beginning, we got a lot of VIP passes and went to the main student nights. After a week or two, you will have groups and for the first term, people will mostly go out to the same places. 2nd term onwards people might be going to different places on the same night, and explore different venues.
Thank you You mean the nights like Tiger Tiger, Mahiki, Pacha etc?
Pedsdude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Frontier)
Thank you You mean the nights like Tiger Tiger, Mahiki, Pacha etc?
The main ones people go to are Tiger Tiger, Ministry of Sound and Crush (or at least that's from my experience 2 years ago).

I definitely recommend Pacha (especially if you don't fancy / get bored of Ministry), although it is a longer distance back than Ministry.

Never been to Mahiki, but doesn't it have a reputation for being quite an expensive club? Doubtful you'll get many groups of students going there (or at least as often as the more renowned student nights).
Frontier
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pedsdude)
The main ones people go to are Tiger Tiger, Ministry of Sound and Crush (or at least that's from my experience 2 years ago).

I definitely recommend Pacha (especially if you don't fancy / get bored of Ministry), although it is a longer distance back than Ministry.

Never been to Mahiki, but doesn't it have a reputation for being quite an expensive club? Doubtful you'll get many groups of students going there (or at least as often as the more renowned student nights).
Oh okay, thanks.

Yes Mahiki is quite expensive, but their cocktails are awesome
Maccountant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do the Bankside Shared Bathrooms have a 2 point socket?
whats_its_face
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maccountant)
From what I remember, aye.

Theyr a bit weird though, I found one after months - its on the side of the sink tubelight, I think haha
Frontier
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am so excited
thelastxwaltz
Report 9 years ago
haha me too! I was just wondering about the carpet situation.. How often does the carpet get completely cleaned? Is there some machine that we can use to clean up our own spills?
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by soria)
How does everybody know what type of room they've been assigned?
My confirmation e-mail simply said "We have received a deposit of £200.00 to secure your accommodation for the academic year 2009/10."
You should have had another email by now which details the type of room you have been allocated. If you have not received it, email accommodation to ask.

(Original post by Frontier)
Does the committee organise activities like going to clubs and things during the first couple of weeks?
Yes we will! There are several big student club nights which we'll be taking people to the first week or two (as well as the LSESU's main nights). After that people generally get into their groups of friends for clubbing - if you go to the Bankside bar beforehand you'll probably find plenty of people who are heading off to them.

Yes, but it's not obvious where - it's on the side of the light above the mirror. Also, it only works when the light above the mirror is on (not a big deal for a shaver, but a bit irritating if it's charging your electric toothbrush!).

(Original post by thelastxwaltz)
haha me too! I was just wondering about the carpet situation.. How often does the carpet get completely cleaned?
As often as you clean it. Bankside staff will not clean your carpet.

(Original post by thelastxwaltz)
Is there some machine that we can use to clean up our own spills?
There's a vacuum cleaner. If you can't be trusted not to spill things which are going to make a serious mess then I'd suggest you don't have those things in your room... :dontknow:
RageC
Report 9 years ago
i see we can have a fridge and kettle but not a toaster in our room.
along with a microwave, are there any other appliances in the common rooms? e.g. toaster
xReenax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How do you apply for a kitchen? Is it too late now?

Also do we have to pay extra for a fridge in the room, and if so, when do we actually pay it?
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xReenax)

Also do we have to pay extra for a fridge in the room, and if so, when do we actually pay it?
Pay £10 a term for electricity for the fridge. So £30 a year. I asssume you pay when you move in.
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
(Original post by RageC)
i see we can have a fridge and kettle but not a toaster in our room.
along with a microwave, are there any other appliances in the common rooms? e.g. toaster
Yes - there is a toaster.

(Original post by xReenax)

Yes, £10 a term. Pay it when you pay your accommodation fee or when you get the fridge if you decide later on to get one.

Also, re network cables: Bankside will now give you one of these when you move in so sorry to anyone who's bought one themselves. Flog it on ebay!
Lord Roem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BanksideCommittee)

Also, re network cables: Bankside will now give you one of these when you move in so sorry to anyone who's bought one themselves. Flog it on ebay!
Bugger,

Ah well, it only cost me two quid.

:o:
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BanksideCommittee)
Yes - there is a toaster.

Yes, £10 a term. Pay it when you pay your accommodation fee or when you get the fridge if you decide later on to get one.

Can you explain how the shaver plug thing works in the bathrooms. I have a shared bathroom. I also got an electric toothbrush.Should I buy a shaver adapter so I can use the toothbrush in a normal plug?

Do you know if our LSE student cards double up as an NUS card (not nus extra)?
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lord Roem)
Bugger,

Don't worry I made the same mistake lol.
subzer0
Report 9 years ago
With regards to laundry, do we have to buy our own soap powder/Fabric Softener?
BanksideCommittee
Rep:
?
(Original post by subzer0)
With regards to laundry, do we have to buy our own soap powder/Fabric Softener?
Yes you do! There's a machine that sells some sort of powder but I'd get it from the supermarket.

Can you explain how the shaver plug thing works in the bathrooms. I have a shared bathroom. I also got an electric toothbrush.Should I buy a shaver adapter so I can use the toothbrush in a normal plug?
There is a 2-pin socket in the bathroom. If your toothbrush has a 2-pin plug, plug it in there (and leave the light on overnight every so often so it charges), if it has a 3-pin plug, charge it in your room. You don't need any adaptors.

Do you know if our LSE student cards double up as an NUS card (not nus extra)?
LSE cards don't have any NUS branding. I've never had any NUS/NUS extra cards etc - they're only useful in rare circumstances (mainly online discounts where you need a card number).
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it worth bringing a printer? Do LSE provide printing cedit for us or do we have to pay?
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it just an ordinary washing machine. How much is it?
Frontier
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lord Roem)
Bugger,

I bought one too. Damn. Oh well, it was £1.77 - that's not worth the effort to sell it on Ebay :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed