MANU90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Erebus)
what was your answer for that?

i got something stupid like y = (e^x^3)/e
that is completly right. It simplifies to y=e^((x^3)-1)
Erebus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MANU90)
Mate don't worry about it, your obviously still well on course for on A. I' got a refractive index of 1/1.34, so obviously wrong because I did some primary school dividing error. Boundries will be similar to last year, since weaker candidates will have picked up marks on the comprehension.
yeah i know it's annoying though cause i would have liked the UMS, so i can put a poor module from further maths on the maths if i need to haha. I'm just thinking worst case scenario, is dropped about 20 marks, which is still a B so not too bad .
Erebus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
that is completly right. It simplifies to y=e^((x^3)-1)
yeah i thought it did, i rushed through section A though... i reckon that's a mark for simplyfying actually but it might not be.
rye225
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh sorry then , i didnt know there were two integration questions

for the second one then i did get e^(x^3) -e

will i be marked down for not working any further?
Ben_Broadhurst
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
right guys. i am disappointed with my performance. Well above 90% in all pure modules and cocked this one up totally.

Q8. I couldn't get the acute angle, so that's 4 marks lost (i got 45 degrees and knew it was wrong but left it cause i hadn't got a better answer)? Therefore, my refractive index was wrong so that's 2 more. Then on the last question regarding the length, i miscalculated mu as 1/3, so the length was 1cm. That is like 5 marks dropped.

11 so far.

Q8 i think i did ok, but i got the last question wrong which was 2 i think. so i reckon max droped about 4-5.

Then on the comprehension, i misread -1.999 as -1.99 so therefore got 600 - i only just realised why!!!! Then i probably dropped a few more marks.

so say 5.

can't ******* believe it.

sorry if i piss anyone off.
should still be an A overall if you got 90% in all the other modules. and same, just reading this thread i've realized how many slips i've made.
rye225
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i reckon its going to be 60/90 for the A

the paper was hard
x.beth.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm surprised people thought this paper was easy. I actually thought it was quite hard. The content was generally predictable (apart from the last question) but there were little things to trip you up in loads of the questions. I know I lost about 8-10 marks and I dread to think how many others I might have messed up.

I'd be very happy with a B I think.
Erebus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ben_Broadhurst)
should still be an A overall if you got 90% in all the other modules. and same, just reading this thread i've realized how many slips i've made.
it's so annoying lol. cause it's like stupid mistakes that i never thought i'd make. the vectors question made me sick. i had about 45 mins left at the end and spent the whole time on it and still couldnt ge tthe acute angle.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x.beth.x)
I'd be very happy with a B I think.
Yeah me too. I need a C in both C4 and S1 to get my A overall, hopefully I've just scraped a B. This thread is starting to make me doubt that happening though, I keep realising little things that will lose me marks...
Ben_Broadhurst
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's so annoying lol. cause it's like stupid mistakes that i never thought i'd make. the vectors question made me sick. i had about 45 mins left at the end and spent the whole time on it and still couldnt ge tthe acute angle.
pretty much the same thing happened to me, finished section A in half an hour and had to rush to finish the last two questions and didn't get the acute angle either. i made some dumb mistakes too, i had e^(x^3 + e) instead of - e for some reason.

do you have any more modules left? i'm gonna try doing as well as possible in mechanics to make up for this, should be ok overall.
Erebus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
pretty much the same thing happened to me, finished section A in half an hour and had to rush to finish the last two questions and didn't get the acute angle either. i made some dumb mistakes too, i had e^(x^3 + e) instead of - e for some reason.

do you have any more modules left? i'm gonna try doing as well as possible in mechanics to make up for this, should be ok overall.
- e? i got y = (e^x^3)/e because when you raise everything to base e, then you multiply the constant? **** i might have got another wrong.

yeah i have mechanics but i literally know none of it! so gotta get learning. plus i have FP2 for further maths which is solid lmao.
MANU90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rye225)
i reckon its going to be 60/90 for the A

the paper was hard
What so 75 would get you full marks. Very optimistic I think. Were looking at 70-72 for an A on this kids. Best case scenario.
Erebus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What so 75 would get you full marks. Very optimistic I think. Were looking at 70-72 for an A on this kids. Best case scenario.
yeah me too that is the best case scenario but more likely to be around 75.
Ben_Broadhurst
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
- e? i got y = (e^x^3)/e because when you raise everything to base e, then you multiply the constant? **** i might have got another wrong.

yeah i have mechanics but i literally know none of it! so gotta get learning. plus i have FP2 for further maths which is solid lmao.
it's correct but you can simplify it, you know subtracting indices when dividing. mechanics (both 1 and 2) are really easier papers you can definitely bump your grade up without doing much work for them.

edit: last year it was 62/72 and 15/18 for an A, it's gonna be about the same give or take a couple of marks max.
Erebus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's correct but you can simplify it, you know subtracting indices when dividing. mechanics (both 1 and 2) are really easier papers you can definitely bump your grade up without doing much work for them.

edit: last year it was 62/72 and 15/18 for an A, it's gonna be about the same give or take a couple of marks max.
ah ok, what did you get for the volume of revolution?
Hasan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got 8pi for the volume of revolution. You had to make it x=...

As for the acute angle, I subtracted my calculated angle from 180.
BillV3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how would you include the coefficients? i got 1/2 ln|2x+1| for the second but couldn't simplify any more
No I meant that what I put there was simply just the ln value without the 1/2 or anything else just to make it easier to type in latex.
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought the actual paper was absalutely fine, but I messed up the comprehension badly, ah wellll.
Ben_Broadhurst
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ah ok, what did you get for the volume of revolution?
8 pi i think i can't remember much of the first few questions i whizzed through them
x.beth.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Yeah me too. I need a C in both C4 and S1 to get my A overall, hopefully I've just scraped a B. This thread is starting to make me doubt that happening though, I keep realising little things that will lose me marks...
I'm sure you'll be fine I think all the mistakes tend to stick out in your head and make something that went well seem a lot worse. Well that's what I always think like anyway! I need a D grade average in C3 and C4 for an A which tbh is all that matters at the moment. I think if I'd felt this way about a paper last year I'd have been gutted but I'm just focusing on the end result atm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads