AQA FP1 (1st June) Watch

Adam92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mitch92uK)
Why are you taking 2 calculators?
Graphics one for plotting graphs, which unfortunately doesn't give answer in surd or pi form, so the natural display one is more convenient for normal calculations.
Katermerang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robbie10538)
It can integrate numerically (both of them can) but not symbollically (which is the banned type)

lol pretty much bored at the moment. I dont see what else I can do as I've looked over everything.

Revise chemistry:p: , but yeah i'm pretty bored of that too.
nick3000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For General solutions of Equations involving sin and cos do you have to give more than one general solution?
One past paper required two solutions but the others seemed to require one.
shining_star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nick3000)
For General solutions of Equations involving sin and cos do you have to give more than one general solution?
cos and tan only need one equation. sin needs two
Katermerang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nick3000)
It depends on the question, if its cos you can write +-, as they are the same when solving cos. But for sin your two critical values are completly distincit, which would normally lead you to two general solutions.
ljc1
Report 9 years ago
Arghhh we have'nt been taught anything about finding 2 critical values for sin, just one could someone please show me an example of how to do this. Thanks!

... *edit* heres an example of what I'd done (June 07 Q6.)
sin(2x-pi/2)=root3/2
x=piN + (-1^n)a
2x - pi/2=piN + (-1^n)pi/3 + pi/2
x=pi/2 N + (-1^n)pi/6 + pi/4
the mark scheme doesn't really make sense to me at all
Robbie10538
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Katermerang)
It depends on the question, if its cos you can write +-, as they are the same when solving cos. But for sin your two critical values are completly distincit, which would normally lead you to two general solutions.
in your book does it introduce

... + (-1)^{n} ...
as a way of finding the distinct values?
edit: (in the general solution of sine graphs)
Adam92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ljc1)
Arghhh we have'nt been taught anything about finding 2 critical values for sin, just one could someone please show me an example of how to do this. Thanks!
One would be x = 360n + a, the other would be x = 360n + (180 - a) in degrees. Where a is the value you find from using inverse sine on the RHS.
Katermerang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ljc1)
Ok this is the method to solve any trig equation:

Find two critical values so for cos use cos-1(value) and find the negative value, as they are the same, ie two values between -180 and 180 or -pi and pi.

For sin use sin-1(value) and then do [180 (or pi) - sin-1(value)], to find your second critical value.

ADD 2(Pi)n to Both your critical values in two separate equations for cos you can use one just write +-(critical value) and have one equation

Now equate these to whats inside the bracket of sin or cos, solve to get x on its own.

For tan you only need one critical value as it repeats every 180, and add (pi)n as your general solution rather than 2(pi)n.

I hope thats good enough, thats is about as best i can do, from a keyboard rather than face to face.
Adam92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck all, I'm sure the exam won't be that bad!
Katermerang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
in your book does it introduce

... + (-1)^{n} ...
as a way of finding the distinct values?
I dont think so but i have never found it hard to find distinct values, all I need is two critical values (just negative cos) or (180-sin) and its easy to find any other one you want from there on.
Robbie10538
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dont think so but i have never found it hard to find distinct values, all I need is two critical values (just negative cos) or (180-sin) and its easy to find any other one you want from there on.
The oxford FP1 book encourages us to have it in the form

\pi n + (-1)^{n} \alpha = \phi

To avoid confusion, both methods are acceptable- look at the jan 06 report for a sine graph general solution
A good number of candidates quoted the solution for sin θ = sin 50º correctly as
θ = 180nº + (−1)^n(50º), but even then they were not always successful in deducing the general solution for x.
Katermerang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

To avoid confusion, both methods are acceptable- look at the jan 06 report for a sine graph general solution
Thats the thing about f-maths there are always so many ways of doing things, especaily in D2 basicaly we only follow about 2 or 3 of the algorithms in the book the rest are just my teachers own personal way of doing things, which sometimes is not on the markschme!?!

But they assure me the examiner will know what i am doing.
rachxl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm going to use an fx-7400G PLUS

I am jealous of people who get can it into pi form and whatnot, I can only just about manage to plot a graph with mine (although that has more to do with my "skills" than the calculator itself, I suspect :ninja:)

Good luck for tomorrow everyone :thumbsup:
Katermerang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Ha i just realised, looking at your sig, we do exatly the same subjects and exam boards and modules expet i dont do geography, and wont be doing f-maths next year.
Robbie10538
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ha i just realised, looking at your sig, we do exatly the same subjects and exam boards and modules expet i dont do geography, and wont be doing f-maths next year.
Yeah we have great subjects!

(Original post by rachxl)
Good luck for tomorrow everyone
Good luck too and everyone else!

I'll probably be on tomorrow to see what I got wrong although I should revise chemistry!
abcxyz6666
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

this is the only formula I know for sin graph. Whats the one in the other text book
Katermerang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right time for a shower and bed.

Hope you all do well!!!!
pcfailure
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right time for a shower and bed.

Hope you all do well!!!!
Just had my shower =P!!

But yeah, good luck everyone xD.

(See you all tomorrow to discuss the answers! =P)
El Guerrouj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Having a shower and going to bed, good luck everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise