Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanglewire)
    yes i do mean first year and second year entry. university of manchester aren't on the top on the list but it definitely has become my top choice after a brief interview session i had with their admission officer a few months back.

i've already sent an email but hasn't had any reply for a week. i really doubt things are so inefficient as it seems. should i let the waiting continue ?
    just wait out i guess, there's no harm. if you reject them, you still have to try for the next cycle of UCAS anyway.

so you sent the email a week ago? just before the admissions/UCAS closing period. i doubt they would have been very free to answer to your email as well. dont worry so much, just wait till the deadline UCAS gave for you to answer to your offers.

ReputationRep:
    yes i do mean first year and second year entry. university of manchester aren't on the top on the list but it definitely has become my top choice after a brief interview session i had with their admission officer a few months back.

i've already sent an email but hasn't had any reply for a week. i really doubt things are so inefficient as it seems. should i let the waiting continue ?
    warwick's admission office is closed from 24th dec to 3rd jan. think manchester also having a festive break?

ReputationRep:
    good day people. i've got my unconditional acceptance to uni of manchester but the level of entry is 1 instead of the 2 i applied. is there anyway to appeal this?

i'm applying for 2011 so would it be advisable to take the risk and reject this offer and wait for the next application and try again ?
    First off, congratulations on the unconditional offer!

Regarding your particular situation, which course are you applying for and do they allow direct entry to the second year? If they do, then it probably means they don't think your existing qualifications are sufficient for second year entry. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that you could perhaps write to them with your academic transcripts that show the modules you've taken (and with a letter from your tutor explaining briefly the modules and their content) and explain their relevance to the course you intend to read at the university?

If they don't budge on the year of entry after all that correspondence then it's likely that you'll be given the same year of entry should you reapply in the next application cycle - unless you've done more work in the meantime which they can consider.

So in sum I'd say contact them to have them explain their position and see if you can talk them round first. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    BEST WISHES FOR THE YEAR PEOPLE.

Does anyone know if UCAS does clearing for International students applying for Meds ?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    so where are you guys headed? i got rejected by cambridge so it looks like i'll be heading to LSE to do government and econs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go to Cambridge or anywhere in the UK, really, but there's the money issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meakame)
    I'd love to go to Cambridge or anywhere in the UK, really, but there's the money issue
    Are you holding offers already or applying this cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Are you holding offers already or applying this cycle?
    I'm holding offers, but Cambridge costs 27000 pounds a year at least... No way my parents can afford that.

ReputationRep:
    those are some impressive unconditional offers you hold... no chance at all with the financial issue? scholarships and all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    those are some impressive unconditional offers you hold... no chance at all with the financial issue? scholarships and all?
    Trying for scholarships but they're even harder to get than uni places... and I won't know til April or May! Guess I'm just impatient. Ah well. This is the first time I've wished to strike lottery so badly, not that I even buy it. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Trying for scholarships but they're even harder to get than uni places... and I won't know til April or May! Guess I'm just impatient. Ah well. This is the first time I've wished to strike lottery so badly, not that I even buy it. Haha.
    thats very true. scholarship places are notoriously hard to get. all the best with it then! if you can get unconditional from imperial and cambridge with mid year results, i reckon you would be competitive enough in the scholarship field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    thats very true. scholarship places are notoriously hard to get. all the best with it then! if you can get unconditional from imperial and cambridge with mid year results, i reckon you would be competitive enough in the scholarship field.
    Yeah but competitive enough =/= get a scholarship. I know I'm being very pessimistic, but the fact is that getting into a UK uni is really all about your acads, whereas getting a scholarship is all about everything else on top of your acads.

What about you? Congrats for Law!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but competitive enough =/= get a scholarship. I know I'm being very pessimistic, but the fact is that getting into a UK uni is really all about your acads, whereas getting a scholarship is all about everything else on top of your acads.

lucky enough to go on parents' finances. my dad told me not to apply for scholarships cause of the bond, as i dont intend to return to singapore. although, its not like i can get a scholarship either.. pffft.

ReputationRep:
    I'm holding offers, but Cambridge costs 27000 pounds a year at least... No way my parents can afford that.
    It is the extra college fee that causes the total cost to balloon.

ReputationRep:

I am really very curious about how you have not received your final results yet but are holding unconditional offers.

nonetheless, congratulations! Those are one heck of a awesome number of offers.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    well if the schools really like you, its normal for them to give unconditional offers even though you haven't received your results.

on the other hand, i have my A level results already but got conditional offers from LSE and warwick. but the condition was just to pass TOEFL or IELTS or to show them my O level english qualifications, so i guess that's more to do with my english proficiency only.

(Original post by chronicles)
    I am really very curious about how you have not received your final results yet but are holding unconditional offers.

nonetheless, congratulations! Those are one heck of a awesome number of offers.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on yr offers! R u interested in research? If u r, u can try the ASTAR scholarship. U stand a good chance, given that u've already gotten an offer fm cambridge In fact, I think u stand a good chance for alot of scholarships with a cambridge offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)

Thanks! Here's my theory: I'm from NUS High School. Our diploma uses the same cumulative average point (CAP) system as NUS (GPA on a 5.0 scale, basically). So when I submitted my results in September, they were my current CAPs over the past 3.5 years for each subject, plus the overall CAP. I think that's the reason for the UCs.

Though it's strange and unexpected because the previous batch got conditionals from Cambridge, specifying a bunch of overall and subject CAPs.

(Original post by booyakasha)
    well if the schools really like you, its normal for them to give unconditional offers even though you haven't received your results.

on the other hand, i have my A level results already but got conditional offers from LSE and warwick. but the condition was just to pass TOEFL or IELTS or to show them my O level english qualifications, so i guess that's more to do with my english proficiency only.
    I thought as long as you were from an English-medium school in a country where English is an official language, you're exempted..? Guess they're more stringent then...

(Original post by terence)
    Congrats on yr offers! R u interested in research? If u r, u can try the ASTAR scholarship. U stand a good chance, given that u've already gotten an offer fm cambridge In fact, I think u stand a good chance for alot of scholarships with a cambridge offer
    Thanks! I'm interested in research but not to the extent where I'd devote at least 13 years of my life to it. Plus, research as a career is... problematic, to say the least. Thanks for the support.

(Original post by gi.)
    lucky enough to go on parents' finances. my dad told me not to apply for scholarships cause of the bond, as i dont intend to return to singapore. although, its not like i can get a scholarship either.. pffft.
    *envious* I try to think of the bond as a good career start plus a guaranteed job. Of course there's the issue of 'what if you end up hating it even if you thought it would fit at first' - well, if that happens, just gotta live with it I guess. :mute:

ReputationRep:
    *envious* I try to think of the bond as a good career start plus a guaranteed job. Of course there's the issue of 'what if you end up hating it even if you thought it would fit at first' - well, if that happens, just gotta live with it I guess. :mute:
    yeah agreed on that point, it has the security of not having to be unemployed after graduation... well all the best in securing the finances for your uk education. hope you at least get a source from somewhere..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booyakasha)

Not a hope at doing away with the IELTS altogether? Well, warwick refuses to remove that condition for me too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.