21.35%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    it happens ...
    well you learned a bit and I have another nice question to add to my books
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    is |SP| + |TP| = 2a a loci property of an ellipse?

Was never taught that
    not only you ought to know it but it is examinable !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    is |SP| + |TP| = 2a a loci property of an ellipse?

Was never taught that

Though to be fair it is quite obvious..
    Yep, it's in the FP3 textbook, went over it a few days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    not only you ought to know it but it is examinable !!!
    Thank you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    well pleasing ... thanks to the people which nominated me and also voted for me
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3889039

6 nominations ... two firsts, two seconds and two thirds ....

Thank you again

Name:  c17.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  132.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    well pleasing ... thanks to the people which nominated me and also voted for me
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3889039

6 nominations ... two firsts, two seconds and two thirds ....

Thank you again

Name:  c17.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  132.8 KB
    Calm tf down, its only a forum site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Calm tf down, its only a forum site
    you are clearly very jealous ...
    Name:  a6.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  10.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Someone help? Found this question on Variable Acceleration in 2 dimensions and don't understand how they get values of maximum and minimum acceleration for part b. I managed to get a=12 using the given rearrangement, but don't know how to get the maximum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hassan55)
    Someone help? Found this question on Variable Acceleration in 2 dimensions and don't understand how they get values of maximum and minimum acceleration for part b. I managed to get a=12 using the given rearrangement, but don't know how to get the maximum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Zacken SeanFM16Characters....

do you mind please

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let the acceleration be a, then acceleration will achieve minimum and maximum values when \frac{da}{dt} = v =  0, so find the values of t for which this is so, investigate whether they are minimum or maximum values by considering the second derivative and then plug it back into the equation to find the min/max acceleration.

Edit: ignore this, as per SeanFM, recall that \cos^2 x varies between and 1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Zacken
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Aye
    thank you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look at the expression and think the smallest and largest value that it can take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Let the acceleration be a, then acceleration will achieve minimum and maximum values when \frac{da}{dt} = v =  0, so find the values of t for which this is so, investigate whether they are minimum or maximum values by considering the second derivative and then plug it back into the equation to find the min/max acceleration.

Edit: ignore this, as per SeanFM, recall that \cos^2 x varies between and 1...
    Why do you put v=0,can't you put a=0 and instead of using the suggested expression, can't you use dv/da=a=0 and solve for t in both i and j. Is there any other approach,ie with the expression they give, to solve this?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you put v=0,can't you put a=0 and instead of using the suggested expression, can't you use dv/da=a=0 and solve for t in both i and j. Is there any other approach,ie with the expression they give, to solve this?
    I don't know what I was thinking, but da/dt is not v... , themethod you propose would find the maximum/minimum velocity, not acceleration. You could differentitate the position vector they've given you *four* times and set thag equal to 0, but it's a lot of work when you can just look at how cos x varies from the dervived expression!

ReputationRep:
    My proposed method seemed to have worked surprisingly, where I set the i and j components of a to 0 and worked out values for t to get 12 and 14. I used the method similar to this mark scheme.. you're right saying a=0 will give max/min velocity, but how come they do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Also I differentiate 4 times (only had to do it twice more because of part a) and got tan(2t)=-4/3... And by getting t I didn't get 12 or 14 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also I differentiate 4 times (only had to do it twice more because of part a) and got tan(2t)=-4/3... And by getting t I didn't get 12 or 14 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oops, did I say 4 times? My mistake, it was really late at night and I was in bed. Differentitate once to get velocity, second time to get acceleration, third time to get jerk and then that =0. So differentiate thrice, not four times.

ReputationRep:
    Do you differentiate a naturally as you keep differentiating from r or do you differentiate the expression the give you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 32sin(2t)i-24cos(2t)j=0 after differentiating 3 times. Would I then 32sin(2t)=0 and -24cos(2t)j=0 to get values of t in range 0<t<2Pi and sub in to given expression of a to obtain max/min?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.