Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy123456)
    How many marks would you get out of 7 if you got the integrating factor but couldn't integrate etc? (Question 4 b)
    Minimum 3 I believe. I think you may get a further one after that just for attempting to integrate the RHS but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I see you have managed....

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else still have an e^u they were unable to get rid of in their equation after they'd substituted in Q7a? If the x^2 in front of the first term of equation 1 was instead an x I'd have got the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Model answers anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got pictures of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Hope this helps soothe the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHJBUcwNfU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManOfJustTin)
    There goes my only chance at Warwick
    SAME :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_sheikh98)
    Hope this helps soothe the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHJBUcwNfU
    True if even hitler couldn't do it what chance did we have?

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts: dreadful. I'm usually confident after exams, but this was just so unlike an FP2 paper.

1. Inequalities: standard
    2. Series: really difficult to spot the method to sum the terms that didn't cancel. I didn't reach the required answer.
    3. Complex roots: standard
    4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b). Ended up with an integrating factor of 1/(cosec theta + cot theta)^2
    5. Taylor series: standard. Worded a bit weirdly, but otherwise nothing away from the norm.
    6. Second-order: tricky to do the transformation. Has came up many times recently and I got confused with my chain rule. But otherwise standard once you get the ball rolling.
    7. de Moivres: standard
    8. Polar coordinates: was a little confused by the decimal limit. If you've done past papers you would've spotted that you needed the area of the sector, then integrate curve C1.

I knew Edexcel would've doubled-down on FP2 given the past few papers have been relatively easy (64-67 for an A).

I think the grade boundaries will be:
    A*: 59
    A: 55
    B: 49

ReputationRep:
    What numerical answer did people get for the last part of Q8? I got 63.4 or something but now I think I messed up the numbers somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to total up my expected marks, can someone remind me what this question was "Tan(x) (5M) + (5M)"? Apparently its Question 6 but i really cant remember it...I'm worried

EDIT: oh, it was the taylors expansion of (x-Pi/3)? or something like that, maybe pi/4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    My thoughts: dreadful. I'm usually confident after exams, but this was just so unlike an FP2 paper.

2. Series: really difficult to spot the method to sum the terms that didn't cancel. I didn't reach the required answer.
    4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b).
    5. Taylor series: standard. Worded a bit weirdly, but otherwise nothing away from the norm.
    6. Second-order: tricky to do the transformation. Has came up many times recently and I got confused with my chain rule. But otherwise standard once you get the ball rolling.
    8. Polar coordinates: was a little confused by the decimal limit. If you've done past papers you would've spotted that you needed the area of the sector, then integrate curve C1.

I knew Edexcel would've doubled-down on FP2 given the past few papers have been relatively easy (64-67 for an A).

What do you think the 100 boundary will be? I reckon 72

I think they'll be harsher than what you've said imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baldwinator)
    Did anyone else still have an e^u they were unable to get rid of in their equation after they'd substituted in Q7a? If the x^2 in front of the first term of equation 1 was instead an x I'd have got the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)

4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b).

Oh god I hope you're right about those grade boundaries. But I will keep my expectations high and assume it will be around 66 for A*. 60 for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoAwayTSR)
    I had that
    Yeah I was so confused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)

Whoever made this needs a medal xD
    This is gold

(thank you whoever made this, it's really cheered me up after that exam :') )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)

It was on the hard side but by no means impossible. The only one I'd consider 'very hard' was the integrating of e^2x(sinx) dx. Series was also tricky but everything else has come up many a time in previous papers. I reckon :

65 - 68 for 90 ums
    58 - 61 for 80 ums

I'd kill to see the paper again as I had very little to time to check my solutions!

ReputationRep:
    Terrible. Anybody got any Idea when a model mark scheme may be available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inges)
    Terrible. Anybody got any Idea when a model mark scheme may be available?
    MS building in process
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4150403

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the first order differentials questions with p, q and r?? The first part of the question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.