University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Is there racists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there any society where there's no racist?

And what happened to your fridge and room? That's need more urgent attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    And what happened to your fridge and room? That's need more urgent attention.
    I was about to ask the same...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Apparently, two people once voted for BNP, in 2010.

http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/investigati...landslide.html

But I'd imagine they just did it for a laugh.
    Have you heard of him?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Griffin

Why do you think they did it for fun?
    There're thousands of students, it's no surprise a few of them are racists.
    Cambridge or any university towns are usually more racially diverse and internationalist community but they're not immune to racism, you know?

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of him?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Griffin
    Honestly, it had never occurred to me that he might have gone to Cambridge.

Why do you think they did it for fun?

There're thousands of students, it's no surprise a few of them are racists.
    Cambridge or any university towns are usually more racially diverse and internationalist community but they're not immune to racism, you know?
    Even if they were BNP supporters, doesn't it make more sense for them to vote UKIP than BNP for their protest vote during general elections, when we have the first past the post system?

The only way voting for any other than the top two/three parties influences things is by persuading those two/three parties to try gather the votes of the smaller parties - so BNP supporters should try to vote UKIP in order to persuade the Conservatives to move further right, because the Conservatives are not going to go after BNP votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Honestly, it had never occurred to me that he might have gone to Cambridge.

Even if they were BNP supporters, doesn't it make more sense for them to vote UKIP than BNP for their protest vote during general elections, when we have the first past the post system?

The only way voting for any other than the top two/three parties influences things is by persuading those two/three parties to try gather the votes of the smaller parties - so BNP supporters should try to vote UKIP in order to persuade the Conservatives to move further right, because the Conservatives are not going to go after BNP votes.
    As I said, there're thousands of students. So there're bound to be various views on various things .

Not all the people think like the way you think.
    Perhaps they were not trying to influence things.

ReputationRep:
    What are my options with regards to bringing things home during the holidays if my parents don't want to make the journey there and back every holiday? I can't imagine being able to carry everything home by train. Are there any cheap storage facilities/options because my college doesn't have one unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highestmountain)
    What are my options with regards to bringing things home during the holidays if my parents don't want to make the journey there and back every holiday? I can't imagine being able to carry everything home by train. Are there any cheap storage facilities/options because my college doesn't have one unfortunately.
    Not for the first years, but from the second year onwards if your college has college houses as accommodation, they sometimes let you leave your belongings in the house because they don't rent it out as accommodation on the main site, so that's one option. But you'll still have to vacate it for summer holiday.
    Or if your friend lives in a house, you can ask them to keep your stuff there, but that means you'll carry all the stuff by hands or hire a cab.

There's a few storage houses out of town, but you'll still have to organise something to carry the stuff there and bring back to the college for a new term.
    No idea about the cost.....

I don't personally know anyone who stored their stuff somewhere during holidays.......

ReputationRep:
    Not all the people think like the way you think.
    Perhaps they were not trying to influence things.
    People who don't think like me? What next, people who don't look like me?? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    lol does this stuff happen a lot?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Not for the first years, but from the second year onwards if your college has college houses as accommodation, they sometimes let you leave your belongings in the house because they don't rent it out as accommodation on the main site, so that's one option. But you'll still have to vacate it for summer holiday.
    Or if your friend lives in a house, you can ask them to keep your stuff there, but that means you'll carry all the stuff by hands or hire a cab.

There's a few storage houses out of town, but you'll still have to organise something to carry the stuff there and bring back to the college for a new term.
    No idea about the cost.....

I don't personally know anyone who stored their stuff somewhere during holidays.......
    prsom. I shall see what my college says about even opening up a little bit of international storage space to those who don't have someone to wheel them home and then if I really can't carry it all I'll convince my parents to take me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sedqr)
    The reply gives the only sensible response if you do get these kinds of approaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sedqr)
    I want to give Patrick Warren a rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highestmountain)
    prsom. I shall see what my college says about even opening up a little bit of international storage space to those who don't have someone to wheel them home and then if I really can't carry it all I'll convince my parents to take me.
    Good luck, but don't put your hope too high.
    Unless there's a legitimate and reasonable enough reason why your parents can't help you transport your belongings (rather than they just don't want to), they may not want make you an exception case, or all hell breaks lose.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sedqr)
    meanwhie a mathmo gets threats from fellows for too many notes free for everyone
    lmao making people not go to lectures haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    meanwhie a mathmo gets threats from fellows for too many notes free for everyone
    lmao making people not go to lectures haha.
    How is your pre-freshers maths course thing going?

Am I even going? I don't even feel like I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Same here! I still haven't started packing or anything, I'm so unprepared 😂

(Original post by RyanW97)
    Same here! I still haven't started packing or anything, I'm so unprepared 😂
    Haha I've packed a decent bit but honestly it's not gotten into my head yet that I'm genuinely going :lol:

Maybe its just always been something I've kept in my head and it's taking me time to realise it's actually becoming real
    I just hope it's not all a huge disappointment XD

ReputationRep:
    Haha I've packed a decent bit but honestly it's not gotten into my head yet that I'm genuinely going :lol:

Maybe its just always been something I've kept in my head and it's taking me time to realise it's actually becoming real
    I just hope it's not all a huge disappointment XD
    I don't think it's going to actually sink in until we arrive! And it's probably the same for everyone, a couple of people from my sixth form got in and they said exactly the same thing the other day

ReputationRep:
    As long as you remember you're going on the day you're supposed to go and you actually go, it'll be fine. Things will get going as it should be.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.