Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Would replace Bridge with Cole. How can you put Cole ahead of Bridge when Bridge is a lot better than him? If you want A Cole you can put him on the same side as Bridge and move J Cole on the other, as has happened three times at Chelsea. Also, I'm not sure SWP will be playing on the wing for England these days.
    Well you're the one that watches Chelsea but Ashley Cole has done nothing wrong for England. If SWP wants to play in the centre for England, he has a big job on his hands.

ReputationRep:
    Robert Green doesn't get picked again? But Kirkland does!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    Robert Green doesn't get picked again? But Kirkland does!?
    Capello dropped the ball with that one. We can give him a few mistakes out of 30 as it's his first squad :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just for the record I think it was mainly down to Franco Tancredi, that Chris Kirkland got in the squad

ReputationRep:
    Heskey injured and therefore he will be one of the 7 players cut from the squad. He was going anyway, shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explosions In The Sky)
    My point is that when he's paying well not many full backs can stop him. You said Valente had him in his back pocket. Well he did in a sense but thats not down to Valente's outstanding play, Lennon just didn't show up that day. Your making it out that Lennon played crap due to Valentes play which simply isn't true. i don't know why your fixating on that one game. My statement was quite simple and just because Lennon didn't play well in one game doesn't disprove my statement.
    You dont need to stop him because you know that his cross will either clear the backpost or hit the man at the front post

ReputationRep:
    Shorey Davies Johnson King Carrick Downing Heskey dropped from the 30 man squad

ReputationRep:
    Carrick has been superb for us in the last month :s: At least he'll be fresh for the derby.

ReputationRep:
    who do you reckon will make cappello's first starting XI??

ReputationRep:
    more interested in the rugby XV

ReputationRep:
    Carson

Richards Ferdinand Woodgate A. Cole

Bentley Hargreaves Gerrard (captain) Young

Owen Crouch

Robert Green should be in there but he's not even in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    James Richards Brown Rio Cole Bentley Hargreaves Gerrard Cole Rooney Agbonlahor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhan)
    Owen Crouch
    So we play the two strikers who aren't playing well?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what Capello is trying to do. As it's his first game, i imagine he will try what he thinks to be his best team rather than an experimental one that includes the likes of Agbonlahor and Young. We'll probably see a few changes at HT, too.

ReputationRep:
    There'll be no permanent appointment to the captaincy until the World Cup qualifiers.

ReputationRep:
    I hope he saw Defoe playing today...

And in the future will keep a close eye on him.

James as well.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's so obvious that Gerrard has been England's best player for quite a long time now, but I'll post it anyway:

Stevie voted England's finest

Steven Gerrard will head off on international duty this week knowing England fans rate him the country's finest.

Supporters who visited TheFA.com voted Gerrard England's best player during 2007.

The Liverpool midfielder missed just one international fixture throughout the 12 months, taking his haul of caps to 63.

The year saw him wear the captain's armband on five occasions. He also scored two goals – both away in Andorra.

"It's a fantastic honour, coming from the fans makes it very special to me - I'm really proud," said Gerrard.

"The fans pay their money and come and watch us play around the world, so to get their support is great.

"There were a number of players who did really well last year. Gareth Barry came back into the team and had some great games, and Micah Richards was really consistent for someone so young, particularly with him playing in defence.

"I know the fans appreciate how well those guys have done, so to come out on top is a tremendous feeling."

Gerrard topped the poll with 22 per cent, with Man City defender Richards in second.

The Liverpool skipper began the year as captain of his country with Spain the opponents at Old Trafford and played in eleven games for the Three Lions. Gerrard would captain the side on five occasions during the year, playing in all but one of the matches in 2007 - five of them at the newly opened Wembley stadium.

"Being back at Wembley was fantastic, it's a terrific stadium and a great place to play football.

"I was lucky enough to have made my debut for England at Wembley, so it had been a long wait to play their again.

"The old ground had a lot of history and growing up it was always a place you wanted to play, now we have a modern stadium that a new generation can grow up with and in time there will be a whole new history."

TheFA.com

ReputationRep:
    There's been nothing fine about England over the last 12 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    You dont need to stop him because you know that his cross will either clear the backpost or hit the man at the front post
    Lennon has greatly improved his delivery from last season. Still has loads of room for improvement, but he's getting better month on month.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd take a look at the weekend of domestic action from an England perspective.

Only one of Fabio Capello's trio of goalkeepers managed a clean sheet. Chris Kirkland in Wigan's 1-0 win against West Ham. Robert Green, overlooked for Capello's squad, was the Hammers goalkeeper to concede. David James was the busiest, having to make five saves (compared to Kirkland's one, Green's two, and Scott Carson's three) in conceding one against Chelsea. Carson let in two in Fulham's from-behind victory. Paul Robinson did not feature in Spurs' draw to Manchester United.

Encouragement for Capello up front; three of his forwards scored this weekend. Peter Crouch heading home in Liverpool's second half 3-0 demolition of Sunderland, and Michael Owen also using his head to give Kevin Keegan the first goal and point of his Newcastle spell. Jermain Defoe, initally omitted, scored in an impressive debut for Portsmouth against Chelsea, and was duly brought in after injuries to Emile Heskey and Gabriel Agbonlahor. Only one of England's four forwards failed to register a goal this weekend; United's Wayne Rooney, though with six goals and seven assists in the league, he is both the top scorer and creator of Capello's four forwards.

In defence, Micah Richards continued to demonstrate his horrid man-marking ability at centre-back as his Manchester City team conceded three against leaders Arsenal. No matter; he'll probably start at right back on Wednesday. Only Everton's Joleon Lescott was clean this weekend, away to Blackburn. Wayne Bridge did not feature this weekend, as Ashley Cole returned to the Chelsea team in his place. He and the remainder of the defensive line-up each conceded one this weekend.

Joe Cole's assist with a delightful touch, and Steven Gerrard's penalty, are the most significant contributions by Capello's midfielders this weekend. Expect them both to start on Wednesday, though Cole will feature on the left despite supporting Nicholas Anelka up front on Saturday. David Bentley had an uneventful 90 minutes, Owen Hargreaves a 45 in which he was able to win but not keep possession. Jermaine Jenas was quietly impressive, Shaun Wright-Phillips on Chelsea's right flank a danger. The two conceded by Gareth Barry's Villa is the worst from the squad's midfield contingent, with only Gerrard and Bentley witnessing clean sheets. I say witnessing as they have other men doing the defending at their clubs. Ashley Young was suspended so did not feature on Sunday.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.