Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    Also, is anyone doing Eng Lit B on AQA board, if so, how are you going about preparation? I'm literally unable to revise it
    Quote learning and practice essays. Lots and lots and lots of them
    Are you gothic or pastoral?

(pretty philosophical question there actually)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londoner92)

I don't know what I am personally but we're studying gothic, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londoner92)

oh and also, how many texts are you confident enough to write about for the first question, because I've put all my eggs in the Doctor Faustus basket, i know its stupid of me, but it would make me feel better if someone else was doing the same and only going with one text no matter what :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    Can't believe John's offered me A*A*A ,the pain of this revision and pressure has nearly won out over the initial excitement of the offer, I hate this college and I'm not even there yet Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Don't hate it, I'll be there :teehee:

That's a tricky offer!! Did you get the letter about sending your UMS off you miss it? If they really want you, which I'm sure they do, then they'll still let you go.

I suppose I don't feel too pressured because I'd be very very happy to go to my second choice, but I know the feeling, it's very hard work and I'd still be upset to miss my Cam offer. Also I don't think I could bear telling everyone I missed my offer

Good luck, hopefully see you next year, relax you can do it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Don't hate it, I'll be there :teehee:

That's a tricky offer!! Did you get the letter about sending your UMS off you miss it? If they really want you, which I'm sure they do, then they'll still let you go.

I suppose I don't feel too pressured because I'd be very very happy to go to my second choice, but I know the feeling, it's very hard work and I'd still be upset to miss my Cam offer. Also I don't think I could bear telling everyone I missed my offer

Good luck, hopefully see you next year, relax you can do it!!!
    thanks for your words of encouragement Yes I did get that letter, but only glanced at it in the hope that I wouldn't need to read it :P And yes I keep telling myself that but I really don't think they will haha!

Just have to work as hard as possible (which I have pretty much already done), all the stats and modular results are strongly in my favour, so just have to stay positive now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    Can't believe John's offered me A*A*A ,the pain of this revision and pressure has nearly won out over the initial excitement of the offer, I hate this college and I'm not even there yet Is anyone else in the same boat?
    I'm sure you'll do it I've also got a really hard offer which is stressing me out - A*AA but the A* in further maths and A in maths (so really an A*A*A offer). Had my first further maths paper today and it was much harder than any past paper I'd done and I didn't have time to check it. Also I've had a temperature for the past 3 days so not feeling so great

Looking on the bright side working hard now will mean that we are more in that mind set (necessary for Cambridge) than those like my sister last year who needed A*AA but already had the A* in maths and after achieving really high UMS in her AS exams only needed about 30% in bio and chem to get in. She has found her first year medicine exams the hardest ever and wishes she hadn't slummed around doing her A2s so was more prepared for the constant work rate required at Cambridge.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)

Looking on the bright side working hard now will mean that we are more in that mind set (necessary for Cambridge) than those like my sister last year who needed A*AA but already had the A* in maths and after achieving really high UMS in her AS exams only needed about 30% in bio and chem to get in. She has found her first year medicine exams the hardest ever and wishes she hadn't slummed around doing her A2s so was more prepared for the constant work rate required at Cambridge.

Good luck!!
    Oooo that's a great way of thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    See, I worked out that I need 54/120 and 130/200 to get A's in History and Politics, the latter of which is giving me real revision headaches due to the ridiculous amount of information which needs to be memorised for my course, but I need 85% in English Lit to get that A*, despite achieving 100% UMS at AS and A2 coursework. Bah, the A* is flawed I say, flawed!

Eeee same for English Lit (minus to 100% at AS :L)
    I'm the same for Philosophy and Ethics - i've dropped 4 ums over 3 modules and I'm really scared that this last module I'll get 82 or something or not even an A D: (i need 83 to get an A*) yet I needed a U to get an A overall :/
    Damn A*'s -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlobberDobber)
    Eeee same for English Lit (minus to 100% at AS :L)
    I'm the same for Philosophy and Ethics - i've dropped 4 ums over 3 modules and I'm really scared that this last module I'll get 82 or something or not even an A D: (i need 83 to get an A*) yet I needed a U to get an A overall :/
    Damn A*'s -.-
    This is my problem.. I can get 2 Cs in philosophy this year and get an A overall so I've done no work for it - just started looking at the implications paper and its tomorrow.

I'm just telling myself that as long as I work for my A* (which has to be in French) everything else will be alright.
    I hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottesometimes)
    you're going to be a choral scholar? THIS IS AWESOME. I'm a choral scholar :P It's fun. Are you a sop or an alto?
    (Original post by Jessie9224)
    Wooo! English Choral Scholars (If i get the grades...) I'm a Sop. How about you? I read Maggi Dawn's book the other day without realising she was the chaplain, I told everyone she was when I finished, but they weren't really very interested. :eek:

ahhh! choral scholars! hello! I'm a sop off to Fitz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    oh and also, how many texts are you confident enough to write about for the first question, because I've put all my eggs in the Doctor Faustus basket, i know its stupid of me, but it would make me feel better if someone else was doing the same and only going with one text no matter what :P
    I'm doing pastoral, dammit. Most dull, uninspired, predictable genre ever.

And yes for Section A I've only really prepared one text, the poetry anthology, because I'm better at poetry and there's about a million poem snippets in it and tons to write about.
    So I'm hoping that I'd be prepared enough to do it even if it's an evil question, as I really haven't prepared my other two texts for section A at all. Eggs are in the basket.
    The questions are usually fairly predictable stuff anyway?
    hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie9224)
    Wooo! English Choral Scholars (If i get the grades...) I'm a Sop. How about you? I read Maggi Dawn's book the other day without realising she was the chaplain, I told everyone she was when I finished, but they weren't really very interested. :eek:
    (Original post by charlottesometimes)
    I'm a sop too I think the new organ scholar is an Engling as well. The choir's awesome, everyone's really friendly, which is nice and Maggi's great - although I know we are getting a new chaplain sometime soon, but hopefully you'll get to meet her! This is cool - you might well end up being my college niece then, given that we're both musical Englings.
    (Original post by rosietheology)
    ahhh! choral scholars! hello! I'm a sop off to Fitz
    I'll just put my oar in as the lone alto I'm off to Magdalene doing Classics though, with any luck!

ReputationRep:
    The problem for me is not the A*, I've all but got that. It's the two blasted A's. Do you think I will get in on 2A*s and a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrassPioneer)
    The problem for me is not the A*, I've all but got that. It's the two blasted A's. Do you think I will get in on 2A*s and a B?
    Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Yes, on the basis that I think most colleges will accept one grade below their offer within reason, and having an extra A* would probably give you some clout.

ReputationRep:
    thanks Tim. I'm hoping...

Good luck to everyone with their exams and let's hope to see some of you next year!

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me that last year someone was only 1UMS point off A* for FM (he needed A* in FM) and Downing made him get a remark (engineering). He started at Bath got his A* on the remark and started at Downing a few weeks late.
    Not sure how true this is but it gives me nightmares!!

(My sister said that an engineering student started late after a remark but doesn't know the exact circumstances)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)
    Someone told me that last year someone was only 1UMS point off A* for FM (he needed A* in FM) and Downing made him get a remark (engineering). He started at Bath got his A* on the remark and started at Downing a few weeks late.
    Not sure how true this is but it gives me nightmares!!

(My sister said that an engineering student started late after a remark but doesn't know the exact circumstances)
    Doesn't sound right, a remark would be back well before term starts for Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone else just have ocr unit 5 chemistry? howd you find it? the general thought here is that it was bloody difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanie55)
    did anyone else just have ocr unit 5 chemistry? howd you find it? the general thought here is that it was bloody difficult.
    I did, and I honestly thought it was easy, but onlt if you had seen past questions of the type like the tang one, but otherwise really tough if you hadn't. I thought it was all do-able.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing 4 A2s n 1 AS, but for my offer, i only need 3 A2 results.. so i have lost all motivation to do well in the extra AS im doing, (im still trying to do well in the other extra A2). I have 7 exams next week, 1 each on Monday to Thrusday and 3 on friday! and that friday, i have Chem 5 (which is my 4th alevel), M5 (part of my extra AS), n FP3 (part of my extra AS).

so whenever i try to open the book of the "extra" alevel papers im doing that are not needed for my offer, i feel like i should instead study more on those that are required for my offer instead.

Its not like i will struggle to do well in the ones i need an offer in, but i just dont feel like putting effort in the extra papers (and to do well in them, they require A LOT OF EFFORT). I know if i put my heart to it, i will definately get good marks, but i dont have any motivation to.

So i decided i should forget those papers, still sit them but its ok even if i get a C or a D in them.

So i was wondering if i get lower in those extra papers, n i still get into Cambridge, will they ever be against me? Like when im applying to a job or internship or anything, will the lower results affect me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.