Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    not sure about you, but i emailed LSE and they said that i just have to send a certified copy of my sec 4 IP english results. i won't have to do IELTS or TOEFL.

(Original post by melsonchun)
    Not a hope at doing away with the IELTS altogether? Well, warwick refuses to remove that condition for me too.

ReputationRep:
    Not a hope at doing away with the IELTS altogether? Well, warwick refuses to remove that condition for me too.
    warwick refusing to budge?

oh man.. i guess you just have to take it then, if not the warwick offer is quite wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    warwick refusing to budge?

oh man.. i guess you just have to take it then, if not the warwick offer is quite wasted.
    the thing that has been holding me back has been the unnecessary 300 dollars.. sigh sigh, maybe ill sway towards king's if they decide to shove me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    the thing that has been holding me back has been the unnecessary 300 dollars.. sigh sigh, maybe ill sway towards king's if they decide to shove me an offer.
    i guess that means warwick is your first choice? hahah..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    still yes. and i was asking chun ming if he wans a meet up with you and me some time before you leave for london. it's better to see you at least once after talking so long behind the walls of computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    gi, did you apply to both UCL and KCL? Did you have to pick between the two? I am kind of baffled because I always preferred UCL, but not many of the people I speak to have heard of it (even lawyers and other professionals who hire on a regular basis).

Any thoughts on the difference between the two? I know there are a ton of threads on it, but from a Singaporean perspective? btw I'm talking about law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    gi, did you apply to both UCL and KCL? Did you have to pick between the two? I am kind of baffled because I always preferred UCL, but not many of the people I speak to have heard of it (even lawyers and other professionals who hire on a regular basis).

Any thoughts on the difference between the two? I know there are a ton of threads on it, but from a Singaporean perspective? btw I'm talking about law
    though i did not apply for law, i would rank them as UCL, then King's, followed by Warwick in that order in terms of which school would be better for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booyakasha)
    though i did not apply for law, i would rank them as UCL, then King's, followed by Warwick in that order in terms of which school would be better for law.
    i always think ucl and kcl seems more prestigious due to the london factor. a law degree from kcl, no doubt, is a prestige in itself. however, beyond the professional legal settings, the general consensus of the employers is that warwick ranks above kcl, on par with ucl.

ReputationRep:
    i always think ucl and kcl seems more prestigious due to the london factor. a law degree from kcl, no doubt, is a prestige in itself. however, beyond the professional legal settings, the general consensus of the employers is that warwick ranks above kcl, on par with ucl.
    Actually, I think in Singapore, if the employers are very aware of rankings, then UCL> KCL, but if they aren't too aware, then they see KCL=UCL. I thought Warwick was more with Bristol, Notts and Durham? Although I could be wrong-- probably am.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I think in Singapore, if the employers are very aware of rankings, then UCL> KCL, but if they aren't too aware, then they see KCL=UCL. I thought Warwick was more with Bristol, Notts and Durham? Although I could be wrong-- probably am.
    yeah i gotta agree with you. i really don't think warwick is up there with UCL and King's for law. maybe for economics or accounting and finance, its near the top, but not so much for law. its not a bad school, just not as good as king's and UCL in my opinion. i would say that LSE triumphs any of these 3 schools though, apart from oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    While we're well aware that UCL is generally better than KCL, I feel that in Singapore KCL seems to have a more established international reputation as compared to UCL. But definitely gonna agree that Bristol, Notts and Durham (possibly Manchester as well) seem to be in the same league

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i just got a conditional offer for law at university of nottingham AAB and i would like to know whether nottingham or warwick is a better choice for my course if i'm planning to return to singapore to work. =//

i think warwick has a better ranking overall but nottingham's higher ranked for their law course? O_o

thanks

ReputationRep:
    hmm, my contention has never been ucl is ranked with warwick, with kcl ranked below the both of them for law, but rather making a point on the general consensus of the employers who are not in the legal settings. for law, yes, warwick is ranked below ucl and kcl, since as a law school itself, ucl and kcl has over a hundred years of history whereas warwick law school itself was founded after the independence of singapore.

we're looking from different dimensions. im more interested in law as an academic degree, hence the general employment consensus still matters to me. worse come to worse, if what i have planned to achieve fails to materialise, as part of my safety plan, ill practice law in singapore.

with that, i end my post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    Hi, i just got a conditional offer for law at university of nottingham AAB and i would like to know whether nottingham or warwick is a better choice for my course if i'm planning to return to singapore to work. =//

i think warwick has a better ranking overall but nottingham's higher ranked for their law course? O_o

thanks
    let's be utterly pragmatic here. if you strictly want to practice law in singapore, then nottingham is the place to go, since it, arguably, has a stronger law school then warwick. if you look at the university as a whole, then warwick has the edge, and is better received by the employers in general in singapore. feel free to disagree with what ive written here.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

How's everyone taking the recent news about the 'grade inflation' issue associated with the UK Universities? Apparently, there has been a relatively huge jump in first-class degrees being conferred, and with that, more undergraduates being conferred 2nd uppers - a stark contrast to the situation at our local universities, where good honours are very stiffly controlled and regulated by the notorious Bell Curve.

Will this somehow affect the reception of good degrees, law or not, from the UK, considering the fact that the situation seems to imply a lack of quality control among the UK Universities?

Apparently, UK universities, I quote, "have an incentive to award more degrees in higher classes to improve their positions in league tables"

We all see the prospect of getting a "good" degree from the UK as a huge motivation to head overseas. Is there even a remote possibility that this "advantage", would soon become nonexistent, as prospective employers might view a "good" degree from the UK as abundant, expected, ordinary or even... with question and suspicion, as droves of UK-educated Singapore graduates come home with 2nd uppers and above, as the years pass.

Just a thought to share. KCL beckons, but perhaps this is worth talking about, a little? :o:

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer to do Economics (L100) from Loughborough. What do you guys think/know of this uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)

thanks
    Nottingham for Law, most definitely. Warwick law is still relatively new - and reflected in the fact that Singapore only very recently included it in the list of UK universities from which law degrees are recognised for the purposes of admission to the Singapore Bar. Warwick is one of the stronger 'new' universities but law isn't one of its strengths right now. On the other hand, you'll find quite a number of Nottingham law graduates right up to the big firms in Singapore.

Are you holding any other offers though?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say if you're looking at overall rankings, Warwick is seen as more prestigious than Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and Kings. But when it comes to Law, Warwick is probably behind all four of those. However, some employers may tend to ignore that fact and just look at the overall position of Warwick as a leading university. Either way, a degree from any one of those uni's is going to do you no harm at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamlaw)
    Hello

How's everyone taking the recent news about the 'grade inflation' issue associated with the UK Universities? Apparently, there has been a relatively huge jump in first-class degrees being conferred, and with that, more undergraduates being conferred 2nd uppers - a stark contrast to the situation at our local universities, where good honours are very stiffly controlled and regulated by the notorious Bell Curve.

Will this somehow affect the reception of good degrees, law or not, from the UK, considering the fact that the situation seems to imply a lack of quality control among the UK Universities?

Apparently, UK universities, I quote, "have an incentive to award more degrees in higher classes to improve their positions in league tables"

We all see the prospect of getting a "good" degree from the UK as a huge motivation to head overseas. Is there even a remote possibility that this "advantage", would soon become nonexistent, as prospective employers might view a "good" degree from the UK as abundant, expected, ordinary or even... with question and suspicion, as droves of UK-educated Singapore graduates come home with 2nd uppers and above, as the years pass.

Just a thought to share. KCL beckons, but perhaps this is worth talking about, a little? :o:
    Hmm, the assumption here is that we head over to the UK unis for higher-class degrees, which unfortunately, i guess, isn't the case for most of us here since i haven't seen anyone mention much about class of degree?

yep still worthy food for thought though,

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, the assumption here is that we head over to the UK unis for higher-class degrees, which unfortunately, i guess, isn't the case for most of us here since i haven't seen anyone mention much about class of degree?

yep still worthy food for thought though,
    Sorry haha. It is not my assumption that we head over to UK for the sole reason that we want better class degrees. It is my assumption though that it is one of the many motivations we consider when doing our balancing of pros and cons. Maybe its not yours? It is not a hidden fact that the bellcurve here restricts the amount of higher class degrees.

But the assumption that you think I made and you sought to justify isnt material. Really, the crux of my post is - huge numbers of good degree holders (i.e 2nd uppers and firsts) coming back glued together with the fact that people are seeing how grade inflation is a problem with the UK universities (media - newspapers, TV, etc) - not an issue at all?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.