Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    As soon as I saw the collagen question for 6 marks I was like :facepalm:

But I wrote along the lines of:
    It is a quaternary structure
    Triple helix
    3 polypeptide chains
    Consists of many glycine
    Hydrogen bonds between polypeptide chains
    Covalent bonds between molecules
    forms fibrils

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by own)
    They specifically said selective breeding
    Selective breeding g is the process, the only way they can resistant to disease Long and short term is due natural selection

ReputationRep:
    I put white blood cells are small so can fit through the capillary walls and have a flexible shape so can fit through the gaps. I had no idea and I really don't think that should have come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    But microscope stuffs are in unit1.. evolution makes more sense to be in a unit2 exam isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think evolution is plausable in this case

ReputationRep:
    for 3 reasons for tb i put: poor ventilation in homes, overcrowding and less likely to spend time and money on treatment

and for the one about protecting red squirrels what did you guys put?

ReputationRep:
    This exam was so wonderful, I loved how many biological molecules questions there was. Drawing an Amino Acid; easy marks; the collagen and haemoglobin question was class too! And the DNA/RNA questions. The 7 marker on phagocytosis was amazing too, and selective breeding (I wrote about artificial selection too), I think it was an easy paper tbh! DEG And Ethanol was a good question, i think a few people got confused about the fact it was an Enzyme. The last question too, with the classification and phylenology, it was lovely.
    Btw, did you guys put C and B for the phagocytes? I think you'll need both.
    #Thirdtimelucky
    I think the grade boundaries will be really high tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackitsme)
    so do you think we got our anwsers right? :L
    I did this too!! It's like one of those questions where it appears really obvious that it makes you want to change the answer haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Selective breeding g is the process, the only way they can resistant to disease Long and short term is due natural selection
    i said selective breeding is done in 3 stages isolation,selection,breeding,
    i then gave a definition then i gave a example of saying a plant with high yeil bred with a plant resistant to desiase then i said the gene is pass on generations,then i explain precautions such as not to get rid of old potatos as it reduces gene pool,not to use chemicals as they make insects ect resistant and blah blah??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil4)
    for 3 reasons for tb i put: poor ventilation in homes, overcrowding and less likely to spend time and money on treatment

and for the one about protecting red squirrels what did you guys put?
    I put exactly the same as you for the TB one :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Yeah I suppose, I wrote a little bit at the bottom, about how you need a high variation, but I reckon the main bulk of the marks will come from explaining the process of selective breeding 4/5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_1995)
    I think you actually have to name the base, as you did on a similar question in a past paper I did
    I put the base, but I'm debating whether you had to as the past past you're referring to asked for the specific name, but this one didn't

ReputationRep:
    surely for the last question it must be to do with microscopes because otherwise how would they identify a species that's less than 0.3mm long?! there might be marks to do with it evolving as well i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucindaellaaa)
    This exam was so wonderful, I loved how many biological molecules questions there was. Drawing an Amino Acid; easy marks; the collagen and haemoglobin question was class too! And the DNA/RNA questions. The 7 marker on phagocytosis was amazing too, and selective breeding (I wrote about artificial selection too), I think it was an easy paper tbh! DEG And Ethanol was a good question, i think a few people got confused about the fact it was an Enzyme. The last question too, with the classification and phylenology, it was lovely.
    Btw, did you guys put C and B for the phagocytes? I think you'll need both.
    #Thirdtimelucky
    I think the grade boundaries will be really high tbh.
    The biology grade boundaries are never that high, i'm thinking between 70-75 depending on how well people wrong the answers hoping for lower obviously :P

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer for;
    Why are phagocytes in non-specific response? (or whatever it said)
    I said that phagocytes aren't specific to pathogens because they dont have surface receptors that are complementary to the shape of the pathogen's antigens. Am I right?
    And is my spelling of complementary correct? Or is it complimentary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Django)
    I put the base, but I'm debating whether you had to as the past past you're referring to asked for the specific name, but this one didn't
    Yes that's true, hopefully they will allow either then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryinglightning)
    surely for the last question it must be to do with microscopes because otherwise how would they identify a species that's less than 0.3mm long?! there might be marks to do with it evolving as well i suppose
    I think they were expecting you to put that the microscope hadn't been invented, hence why the species hadn't been discovered, I think it was just to make sure you knew what they wanted (The insert anyways).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyramsden)
    I don't think evolution is plausable in this case
    I agree, why else would they have given you a picture of the thing with a measuring scale and it saying electron microscope...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GirlWithADream)
    What was the answer for;
    Why are phagocytes in non-specific response? (or whatever it said)
    I said that phagocytes aren't specific to pathogens because they dont have surface receptors that are complementary to the shape of the pathogen's antigens. Am I right?
    And is my spelling of complementary correct? Or is it complimentary?
    complementary complimentary would involve antigens compliments the phagocytes receptors and saying how lovely they were :P I literally learnt two days ago it was complementary without an i :P whoops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Django)
    Didn't it point to a blank one? That would be terribly mean of them

ReputationRep:
    I made so many silly mistakes today. A lot of easy marks. I think it was because of sleep depravity lol

I forgot to put the R group in the amino acids. I also forgot to put insolubility in collagen. I also put Falciparum for Tb lol
    Those are the ones I made.
    I hope I do better in Chem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.