Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    Aha, I don't quite know what to make of that..
    But I'll note it anyway
    I'm helping out at the open day at Worcester on the 18th of September! (I'm a second year) We'll be having tours and talks etc. so it's a great time to come and see the college

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=colourtheory;58857047]I'm helping out at the open day at Worcester on the 18th of September! (I'm a second year) We'll be having tours and talks etc. so it's a great time to come and see the college [/QUOTE]

Yay! that's when I'm coming
    See you around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Right, cheers. Would you say that Worcester is conveniently located as I keep getting mixed views as to how central/easy access to shops/clubs/bars/cafes it is, and looking at a map it looks a bit out of the centre- is this particularly noticeable when you are there, and do most people at Worcester have a bike? The main problem i see with Worcester at the moment is how far away it is from the Iffley Road sports complex, but all the colleges I'm shortlisting aren't as close as I'd like it to be anyway. thoughts?
    Worcester is the closest college to the bars and clubs! Remember, it's Oxford and not the Gobi Desert; everything is within a ten minute walk. Compared to colleges such as St Catherine's we're extremely central (look at a map; we're just down Beaumont Street).

Also, we have accommodation for all three years. Most other colleges require you to move out to Cowley / Summertown in your second year which is miles away from the city centre.

We have all our sports facilities on site and we're the only college to do so.

Iffley is a decent cycle away (10 mins or so), but it doesn't seem to bother the Blues swimmers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    Yay! that's when I'm coming
    See you around
    Just a quick tip: prepare your questions for the tour guide before hand, I remember kicking myself when I got home because I forgot to ask what I wanted to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I'm helping out at the open day at Worcester on the 18th of September! (I'm a second year) We'll be having tours and talks etc. so it's a great time to come and see the college
    I'm hoping that I may be able to travel by that point to make it for the open day (otherwise I'll just have to settle for the Outreach day in London). Are those who attend shown around every college and buildings of importance, or is just focussed on certain things? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Cheers, PRSOM.

Where in Oxford is considered the centre? I.e where is the main hub of shops, clubs, coffee shops/cafes or just the most popular place for students in Oxford?
    Hmm.. It kind of depends really on your viewpoint...

I would say the centre is Broad Street - from the Bodleian to Cornmarket with all the shops there etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I have to agree with colourtheory, the "Oxford looks lots at GCSE results" is a myth. There are a few cases where GCSEs are important, for very popular courses (particularly for Medicine). But Oriental Studies interviews 86% of candidates, in other words they interview practically everyone who makes a serious application. (I suspect many of the 14% they don't interview are people who have done badly on the aptitude test, for the courses that have an aptitude test, which Japanese currently doesn't.)

The key thing for you is to work out which universities have the courses best suited to you. The college thing is a bit sad, but it's not the end of the world - remember that 25% of Oxbridge students are at a college they didn't initially apply to (and near enough all love their college).
    Old comment, but does that mean that for a course like History (Ancient and Modern) that interviews 64% of people, my chances are better where my GCSEs were lower than the average Oxford candidate?

ReputationRep:
    Worcester is the closest college to the bars and clubs! Remember, it's Oxford and not the Gobi Desert; everything is within a ten minute walk. Compared to colleges such as St Catherine's we're extremely central (look at a map; we're just down Beaumont Street).

Also, we have accommodation for all three years. Most other colleges require you to move out to Cowley / Summertown in your second year which is miles away from the city centre.

We have all our sports facilities on site and we're the only college to do so.

Iffley is a decent cycle away (10 mins or so), but it doesn't seem to bother the Blues swimmers.
    Do you know if the onsite sports facility have a hockey astro pitch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    I'm hoping that I may be able to travel by that point to make it for the open day (otherwise I'll just have to settle for the Outreach day in London). Are those who attend shown around every college and buildings of importance, or is just focussed on certain things? x
    No, that'd take like a week! No, you go to the individual colleges you're interested in and they show you around and answer your questions etc. The subject departments are also open so you can ask specific questions about the course you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Do you know if the onsite sports facility have a hockey astro pitch?
    We don't have an astro-pitch, but we do use the sports pitches for hockey in Michaelmas and Hilary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historandpliny)
    I think I'd like to apply to study English Lang and Lit at Oxford, having liked it a lot at the open day and after getting 4 A's in my AS. I thought that I had totally screwed them up, and as such have done little to no research into how to make a competitive oxford english application, or indeed, whether I will be able to.
    So I go to a kinda good state school
    AS levels in English, History, Latin (and Fine Art which I'm dropping)
    I'm gonna start an EPQ this year hopefully. Other than that I have very very little extracurricular to talk about. I've started to try and read widely.. Is that enough?
    8A* 5A's at GCSE If that matters.

a) Should i give it a go? At which point do I lower my expectations?

b) if so, what should I start doing now, I've got very little if my personal statement written, I dunno if I should be prepping for anything else? Grateful for any advice!
    In your position I would apply I would prep for the ELAT if you do make an application, maybe by doing a couple of past papers. You also have to submit written work Then for the interview - well, prep for that when it comes around but know your personal statement and written work well and perhaps know the books you said you read in detail

ReputationRep:
    No, that'd take like a week! No, you go to the individual colleges you're interested in and they show you around and answer your questions etc. The subject departments are also open so you can ask specific questions about the course you want to study.
    Hahaha, I thought as much! Still sounds like a great chance to check out the place, would be a shame to miss it!

ReputationRep:
    We don't have an astro-pitch, but we do use the sports pitches for hockey in Michaelmas and Hilary.
    What for grass hockey?

& I know its only a little thing, but whats this commemoration ball thing? Do colleges hold other formal evenings/balls throughout the year or what?

ReputationRep:
    Wondering what the interview for chemistry is like and if there is anything I can do to prepare for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    What for grass hockey?

& I know its only a little thing, but whats this commemoration ball thing? Do colleges hold other formal evenings/balls throughout the year or what?
    Tbh I'm not the sporty type so I'm not sure. We do have a couple of very successful hockey teams though and as far as I'm aware they play on site. Maybe The_Lonely_Goatherd knows?

Not all of Oxford's colleges are host to a ball, but there are many which are. The exact offering depends on the year as they are hosted on rotation. This year for example, I went to balls at Exeter, Keble, Magdalen, and Pembroke, but next year there'll be balls at other colleges. Having said that, some colleges hold annual balls.

Worcester is one of the few commemoration balls that the university offers. These events are much more special than traditional Oxford balls. Commemoration balls are white tie which puts them on par with royal events and the food, drink, and entertainment is usually amazing. Oxford's traditional balls are black tie so less special, but still excellent.

Edit: there are also various formal events held throughout the year like Law Dinners etc. You spend a lot of time at Oxford in formal wear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    In your position I would apply I would prep for the ELAT if you do make an application, maybe by doing a couple of past papers. You also have to submit written work Then for the interview - well, prep for that when it comes around but know your personal statement and written work well and perhaps know the books you said you read in detail
    Thanks for your Advice! In a way it was reassuring, in a way terrifying... What would written work typically be, anyone? A bit of coursework you are especially pleased with? Should it be very recent?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd like to apply to study English Lang and Lit at Oxford, having liked it a lot at the open day and after getting 4 A's in my AS. I thought that I had totally screwed them up, and as such have done little to no research into how to make a competitive oxford english application, or indeed, whether I will be able to.
    So I go to a kinda good state school
    AS levels in English, History, Latin (and Fine Art which I'm dropping)
    I'm gonna start an EPQ this year hopefully. Other than that I have very very little extracurricular to talk about. I've started to try and read widely.. Is that enough?
    8A* 5A's at GCSE If that matters.

a) Should i give it a go? At which point do I lower my expectations?

b) if so, what should I start doing now, I've got very little if my personal statement written, I dunno if I should be prepping for anything else? Grateful for any advice!
    Please do go for it! Keep reading widely and make notes of intelligent/pertinent observations you have on each book, so that it's easier to bring things to mind when writing your PS. Look at any past ELAT papers if there are ones available. Good luck

(Original post by Eux)
    Right, cheers. Would you say that Worcester is conveniently located as I keep getting mixed views as to how central/easy access to shops/clubs/bars/cafes it is, and looking at a map it looks a bit out of the centre- is this particularly noticeable when you are there, and do most people at Worcester have a bike? The main problem i see with Worcester at the moment is how far away it is from the Iffley Road sports complex, but all the colleges I'm shortlisting aren't as close as I'd like it to be anyway. thoughts?
    What colourtheory said :awesome: We are closest to the bus and train stations as well (in terms of undergrad colleges)

As for hockey stuff - Sporty Spice wasn't my favourite Spice Girl, put it that way

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your Advice! In a way it was reassuring, in a way terrifying... What would written work typically be, anyone? A bit of coursework you are especially pleased with? Should it be very recent?
    I just submitted an essay I wrote in class (I'm not sure English allow that though) some friends did an essay in their own time and had it marked. Others submitted a homework essay. Oxford wants A2 standard I think, so GCSE coursework wouldn't be the best idea it also has to be marked. I think as long as you can talk about it fairly well and it's within the word count (I think up to 2,000 words) most things should be ok.
    Here's what the requirements are (from the English department website)

'Candidates are required to submit one recent example of writing, by 10 November 2015. This should be a marked essay produced in the normal course of your school or college work and should not have been rewritten after marking. Preferably it should be an analytical discussion of a topic or topics in the field of English literature, though an English language topic is permissible. It should not be a short timed essay, a critical commentary on particular passages of text (practical criticism exercises), or a piece of creative writing.'

I know everything can seem terrifying but try to think of it as... exciting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    As for hockey stuff - Sporty Spice wasn't my favourite Spice Girl, put it that way
    Oh my goodness, yasss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Woosta is awesome - if you have any questions, do just drop me a PM TA is awesome. The stuff of legends. He's such a sweetie. I'm honoured to be his college wife :love:

Hahahaha, I always warn Woosta musos because suddenly a minute into your piece he's basically facepalming and you're like OMG AM I ****/HAVE I MORTALLY OFFENDED YOU, whereas it's just his way of enjoying the piece.

Also, worth mentioning the chaplain at Woosta is the best thing since sliced bread. He's basically my second father JA is lovely, but also has slightly unfortunate facial expressions, so don't pay attention to his facial expression too much if they seem a bit negative
    TLG is the unofficial cheerleader for Worcester, but she is right about the chaplain & the choir people- they are the best (well, except for Emma at Trinity of course...)(even if she did go to The Other Place in her wayward youth).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.