Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questioning123)
    Hi guys,
    I got 3A*s, 3,As 3 Bs and a C at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances-social services were involved etc so I'm sure I'll apply with extenuating circumstances next year)
    I'm currently taking maths, economics, english lit and geography and wanted to study economics at uni, but what are the chances with my GCSE grades?
    I know a lot of people on TSR stress over grades when they get 10+ A*s but I wanted genuine feedback please as mine aren't really incredible.
    Also are AS grades weighted more than GCSEs? Will a strong performance at AS increase my chances?

What are your stats and where do you guys currently hold offers from?

Thanks!
    Most good unis want grade A or above in maths gcse but some don't really have that requirement. If you go onto ucas search and have a look at entry requirements, that might help. Also, it depends on the uni I guess because some have a typical offer of BBB or even below that and the better unis want AAA

ReputationRep:
    Got UCL and LSE so far, expecting an oxford rejection in the coming days but who cares lol?!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questioning123)
    Hi guys,
    I got 3A*s, 3,As 3 Bs and a C at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances-social services were involved etc so I'm sure I'll apply with extenuating circumstances next year)
    I'm currently taking maths, economics, english lit and geography and wanted to study economics at uni, but what are the chances with my GCSE grades?
    I know a lot of people on TSR stress over grades when they get 10+ A*s but I wanted genuine feedback please as mine aren't really incredible.
    Also are AS grades weighted more than GCSEs? Will a strong performance at AS increase my chances?

What are your stats and where do you guys currently hold offers from?

Thanks!
    if you have genuine extenuating circumstances then gcses don't matter whatsoever

if no extenuating circumstances they only really matter for oxbridge lse in which case you'd need minimum of 5-8a*s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I guess they know how you did in AS FM though whereas mine is speculative? :/
    Maybe, but your situation shows initiative whereas mine shows the opposite. One thing I do know: PS>>grades/UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    Maybe, but your situation shows initiative whereas mine shows the opposite. One thing I do know: PS>>grades/UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure?I've spent a lot of time writing my PS.Whoever read it said it was quite compelling!

ReputationRep:
    Economics and Management Interview at Balliol College, Oxford Still anxiously waiting on UCL and LSE. I dont think UCL will get back to me until next year as I have applied for both their straight economics course and year abroad course! Expecting a rejection from LSE (but still a little hopeful) as I dont do FM and have no intention on doing this year if they dont ask me to

ReputationRep:
    Got Oxford Interview at brasenose for E&M!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well that's just not true is it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Well that's just not true is it
    Well it is true to an extent - majority of A's with reasonable UMS in maths is all you need grade wise. Then it's all the PS in pretty sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aditkulkarni)
    Got Oxford Interview at brasenose for E&M!!!
    (Original post by tomixox)
    Economics and Management Interview at Balliol College, Oxford Still anxiously waiting on UCL and LSE. I dont think UCL will get back to me until next year as I have applied for both their straight economics course and year abroad course! Expecting a rejection from LSE (but still a little hopeful) as I dont do FM and have no intention on doing this year if they dont ask me to
    Nice one lads,

any idea what we are meant to do in the evenings and stuff while we dont actually have interviews and how we are meant to kill time?! Like 2 days in a new city just seems a bit of a pain to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    Nice one lads,

any idea what we are meant to do in the evenings and stuff while we dont actually have interviews and how we are meant to kill time?! Like 2 days in a new city just seems a bit of a pain to me
    I think they said you could bring some school work to do but dunno about that hahaha! They've provided like a list of things to do in oxford but I'm hopefully planning on getting together with some people and seeing what the city is like, especially at night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doublecc123)
    Most good unis want grade A or above in maths gcse but some don't really have that requirement. If you go onto ucas search and have a look at entry requirements, that might help. Also, it depends on the uni I guess because some have a typical offer of BBB or even below that and the better unis want AAA
    What about IGCSE Maths?

ReputationRep:
    So annoyed that my economist hasn't arrived today ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    So annoyed that my economist hasn't arrived today ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine comes on Fridays :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Mine comes on Fridays :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mines always Saturday and it's not here ergh and I wanted to have a properly thorough read of it before my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what's everyone doing to prepare for interviews?

Help is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aditkulkarni)
    what's everyone doing to prepare for interviews?

Help is appreciated!
    I am going in detail over everything they could ask me in my personal statement. So, I am doing mandamus and writing notes on the topics that appear in my PS. Im also reading FT every day for about 30min/45mins and attempting to read as much of my Economist as possible I have had one mock interview and have another one tomorrow. I will probably have one more as well before the interview. I am also going to spent a few hours on some Math problem solving questions. also, I need to read two and a quarter books before the interview as I have not yet done that FML...

ReputationRep:
    I am going in detail over everything they could ask me in my personal statement. So, I am doing mandamus and writing notes on the topics that appear in my PS. Im also reading FT every day for about 30min/45mins and attempting to read as much of my Economist as possible I have had one mock interview and have another one tomorrow. I will probably have one more as well before the interview. I am also going to spent a few hours on some Math problem solving questions. also, I need to read two and a quarter books before the interview as I have not yet done that FML...
    lol I'm glad it's not just me who needs to read 2 books before the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamc1997)
    lol I'm glad it's not just me who needs to read 2 books before the interview!
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Mines always Saturday and it's not here ergh and I wanted to have a properly thorough read of it before my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which areas of maths should we need to know about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username13)
    Which areas of maths should we need to know about?
    From what I've been told, graphs & differentiation are quite popular maths questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.