Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my 3rd year of my undergrad degree so will be a graduate when I apply. I was thinking about applying for maybe 3 GEM courses and one A100 undergrad course. I was wondering if anyone knows if regular undergrad courses take your A levels into account when applying? I don't have the minimum requirements but I will hopefully have my 2:1 in neuroscience by that point so hopefully that would fulfil them instead? I know of at least two students at my uni currently who are doing this but I haven't read anything about it online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmlg)
    I'm currently in my 3rd year of my undergrad degree so will be a graduate when I apply. I was thinking about applying for maybe 3 GEM courses and one A100 undergrad course. I was wondering if anyone knows if regular undergrad courses take your A levels into account when applying? I don't have the minimum requirements but I will hopefully have my 2:1 in neuroscience by that point so hopefully that would fulfil them instead? I know of at least two students at my uni currently who are doing this but I haven't read anything about it online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on the university. Some take your degree instead of A-levels but some still include A-levels for graduates. You have to look at the individual medical schools you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does Nottingham prefer /like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstieW)
    It depends on the university. Some take your degree instead of A-levels but some still include A-levels for graduates. You have to look at the individual medical schools you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thank you - at least there's some hope! I'm planning to sit chemistry if I don't get in with my first application to expand my options but ideally I never want to go near A levels again haha.

ReputationRep:
    Too late to apply now? I can sort 2/3 weeks shadowing no problem but I see that working as an assistant in a medical setting is a necessity as well, which might be tough since you need a substantial amount and there's not much time left until the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypnotized)
    Too late to apply now? I can sort 2/3 weeks shadowing no problem but I see that working as an assistant in a medical setting is a necessity as well, which might be tough since you need a substantial amount and there's not much time left until the deadline.
    Go for it. 60 squids for ucas and 80 for ukcat. May change your life if you get in. If not, then that's some good rejection experience (in a serious way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmlg)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    some will but honestly its more cost effective and better to put the money towards the GAMSAT and not do an A level in chemistry. the A level in chemistry only opens up a few places that still depend on UKCAT. When you could invest into the GAMSAT and it opens up many more universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by windnamer27)
    Go for it. 60 squids for ucas and 80 for ukcat. May change your life if you get in. If not, then that's some good rejection experience (in a serious way).
    60 squids?

(Original post by NellyMelly)
    What does Nottingham prefer /like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    some will but honestly its more cost effective and better to put the money towards the GAMSAT and not do an A level in chemistry. the A level in chemistry only opens up a few places that still depend on UKCAT. When you could invest into the GAMSAT and it opens up many more universities
    Hmm yeah, I was focusing on the UKCAT purely because it's less time consuming and I'll be applying when I'm going into my final year of university but I'd likely have the time over the summer for GAMSAT if I put my mind to it. I used to be good at essay writing so hopefully I can drag that bit of my brain back up! And like you say it would open up more universities like Swansea which I like the look of in particular.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    60 squids?

Squids == quid == pounds == GBP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by windnamer27)
    Pretty sure UCAS is only £23!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    Pretty sure UCAS is only £23!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sweeet bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Squids == quid == pounds == GBP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UCAS isn't £60

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    UCAS isn't £60
    I didn't say it was...!?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice with my application. I'm currently a Microbiology student with a predicted 1st looking to apply for GEM Medicine. Here are my stats:

A level: AAB (Biology, History & Chemistry), A in AS Psychology and A* in Extended Project (which means FA haha)
    GCSE: 6A*'s 4A's
    UKCAT: 690 average with 740 in Verbal and 760 in Quantitative.
    Work Experience: 1 week shadowing a pre-surgical unit and a 2 week General Medicine placement I did 2 years ago. I've also been a volunteer for a confidential helpline for 1 & a half years.

I know my UKCAT is low so am I right in thinking I should just apply to Southampton & Warwick for GEM? As average cut off for Kings/Newcastle is like 750+

Any help would be much appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xHJCx)
    Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice with my application. I'm currently a Microbiology student with a predicted 1st looking to apply for GEM Medicine. Here are my stats:

A level: AAB (Biology, History & Chemistry), A in AS Psychology and A* in Extended Project (which means FA haha)
    GCSE: 6A*'s 4A's
    UKCAT: 690 average with 740 in Verbal and 760 in Quantitative.
    Work Experience: 1 week shadowing a pre-surgical unit and a 2 week General Medicine placement I did 2 years ago. I've also been a volunteer for a confidential helpline for 1 & a half years.

I know my UKCAT is low so am I right in thinking I should just apply to Southampton & Warwick for GEM? As average cut off for Kings/Newcastle is like 750+

Any help would be much appreciated x
    Yeah you might be alright for Southampton/Warwick but Kings/Newcastle are usually a bit higher. Have you looked at non-UKCAT unis such as bristol or cambridge? Are you sitting the GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Yeah you might be alright for Southampton/Warwick but Kings/Newcastle are usually a bit higher. Have you looked at non-UKCAT unis such as bristol or cambridge? Are you sitting the GAMSAT?
    At the moment I'm not considering taking the GAMSAT as I want to focus on getting a 1st. That said I have looked at Bristol but they require an A in A-level Chemistry and Cambridge want Physics or Maths as an AS-level......

So not looking good haha.....

ReputationRep:
    Hello, could someone help me please

I am applying for graduate entry medicine and sat my UKCAT today;

I got a terrible score of
    Verbal reasoining: 470
    Quantative: 660
    Abstract: 840
    Decision Analysis: 630
    Situational Judgement: Band 2
    my average is therefore 650

Are there any universities that I can apply to with a score like this?

I was aiming for Kings and Queen Mary's

I am also very confused with the UKCAT, in the practise I was struggling with quantative but it became my second highest and verbal reasoning I was scoring better at. Even when doing the exam, though I ran out of time, I thought I did relatively well, well enough to be scoring 600 at least, so you can imagine my surprise that I achieved only a 470. So is anyone aware of how things can turn so badly in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhartigupta420)
    Hello, could someone help me please

I am applying for graduate entry medicine and sat my UKCAT today;

I got a terrible score of
    Verbal reasoining: 470
    Quantative: 660
    Abstract: 840
    Decision Analysis: 630
    Situational Judgement: Band 2
    my average is therefore 650

Are there any universities that I can apply to with a score like this?

I was aiming for Kings and Queen Mary's

I am also very confused with the UKCAT, in the practise I was struggling with quantative but it became my second highest and verbal reasoning I was scoring better at. Even when doing the exam, though I ran out of time, I thought I did relatively well, well enough to be scoring 600 at least, so you can imagine my surprise that I achieved only a 470. So is anyone aware of how things can turn so badly in the exam?
    Hi there. I'm sorry about your UKCAT score, it probably won't be high enough for Kings. I believe Barts have a new ranking system this year, so if you have postgraduate qualifications (PhD, Masters etc) it could maybe make up for your UKCAT.

I'm not sure what to suggest really, Warwick usually has the lowest UKCAT cutoff score for GEM, however they ranked by VR last year, and with your VR score I doubt applying there would be a good idea. Have you looked at any 5 year courses? They tend to have lower cutoff scores, though you can't get a student finance loan for them so you'd have to find the tuition fees yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Can you sit the gamsat and don't apply for that years' cycle instead apply for the next cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.