Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That FB thread also says:
    "UCAS Hi Tom. We would recommend that all qualifications are declared. If the applicant doesn't end up taking the qualification then they just need to e-mail [email protected] and let them know to remove it from the application form.

Sean"
    The point is, STEP is not a qualification, it is an entrance exam. That is precisely why you dont need to declare it and why in the followup question...specifically mentioning STEP, UCAS confirmed you dont need to.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by newblood)
    The point is, STEP is not a qualification, it is an entrance exam. That is precisely why you dont need to declare it and why in the followup question...specifically mentioning STEP, UCAS confirmed you dont need to.
    So admissions tutors at Christ's and Churchill are wrong... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So admissions tutors at Christ's and Churchill are wrong... :rolleyes:
    In this case yes I believe they are incorrect. STEP is very unique and not everyone knows an awful lot about it so it is not surprising that the rules are clear to everyone.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Define Qualification: as far as Cambridge and UCAS is concerned, STEP is a qualification.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und...checklist.html
    Contains this: A list of qualifications processed by UCAS
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...g-exam-results
    OCR

• iMedia Certificate and Diploma
    • iPRO Certificate and Diploma
    • Mathematics STEP Papers I, II and III
    • National Certificates, Diplomas and Extended Diplomas (all at National Qualifications Framework Level 3 only)
    • Principal Learning
    • Certificate in Quantitiative Methods
    • Certificate in Mathematics for Engineers
    • Certificate for Young Enterprise

Also "UK qualifications 2015 (pdf) - UCAS"
    https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...ifications.pdf
    Page 171
    Sixth Term Examination Papers
    QUALIFICATION ABBREVIATION: STEP

BACKGROUND:
    STEP was formerly administered by the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board on behalf of Cambridge Colleges. When it was first examined in the mid-1980s, there were 22 STEP papers available. Over the years, the number of papers has been gradually reduced. Most of them, with the exception of mathematics, were examined for the last time in 2002 when Advanced Extension Awards were introduced...

ReputationRep:
    Mate, unfortunately as you can see there is much misinformation about declaring STEP results. I assure you you do not need to, i have shown some examples of successful cambridge applicants in the past who have not done so...just email the Cambridge Maths department and it will all be cleared up for you
    I have been preparing for STEP1,2 about 1year and I think I can take grade 1. Wouldn't this be a great advantage for me against other applicants?Whether I need to declare my grade or not it doesn't matter that much, because I don't think I will get an awful mark (U,3) but (2,1 orS).Even if I take 2 this wouldn't be a disadvantage, because few students in my age sit this exam and they don't expect really high marks.
    Also I want some help for my STEP registration form, since I am an international student so I have to do it on my own and even Greek British Council doesn't know what I should do. I am not an offerholder (since I didn't apply yet) and I don't have UCAS ID...and they are both required (should I leave them blank?).It is really urgent as the deadline for my country is on Monday so I should send it tommorow.For anyone who can offer help the registration form is here http://www.admissionstestingservice....orm-euros-.pdf . I will be grateful for any help offered as quickly as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I'll add my bit. When I visited Cambridge for the open day, last summer, following the talk (by Siklos) I went to go and ask him so vague and pointless question about STEP. However, the kid in front of me said to Siklos:
    'I've done STEP I this year but don't think I've done that well, do I have to put it on my UCAS?'
    'No.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    I have been preparing for STEP1,2 about 1year and I think I can take grade 1. Wouldn't this be a great advantage for me against other applicants?Whether I need to declare my grade or not it doesn't matter that much, because I don't think I will get an awful mark (U,3) but (2,1 orS).Even if I take 2 this wouldn't be a disadvantage, because few students in my age sit this exam and they don't expect really high marks.
    Also I want some help for my STEP registration form, since I am an international student so I have to do it on my own and even Greek British Council doesn't know what I should do. I am not an offerholder (since I didn't apply yet) and I don't have UCAS ID...and they are both required (should I leave them blank?).It is really urgent as the deadline for my country is on Monday so I should send it tommorow.For anyone who can offer help the registration form is here http://www.admissionstestingservice....orm-euros-.pdf . I will be grateful for any help offered as quickly as possible.
    Great advantage? No probably not. You'd still have to perform well at interview. But an advantage nevertheless.
    If you got an S however, I'm sure this would be a noticeable advantage...I mean, if you get pooled, are the colleges that give out 1,2 offers really going to leave you there, with your S, one year early...?

Final note: if you have all the knowledge to sit STEP I then do it. You'll be a better matematician. The difference between how I approach problems now and before I started STEP is huge.
    (I did a fair bit of STEP I for my interview, so I'm convinced if you smash it for the exam, 10+ papers, you'll do better in interviews due to being used to sing outside of your comfort zone, which A-Levels never force you to leave.)

ReputationRep:
    Define Qualification: as far as Cambridge and UCAS is concerned, STEP is a qualification.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und...checklist.html
    Contains this: A list of qualifications processed by UCAS
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...g-exam-results
    OCR

• iMedia Certificate and Diploma
    • iPRO Certificate and Diploma
    • Mathematics STEP Papers I, II and III
    • National Certificates, Diplomas and Extended Diplomas (all at National Qualifications Framework Level 3 only)
    • Principal Learning
    • Certificate in Quantitiative Methods
    • Certificate in Mathematics for Engineers
    • Certificate for Young Enterprise

Also "UK qualifications 2015 (pdf) - UCAS"
    https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...ifications.pdf
    Page 171
    Sixth Term Examination Papers
    QUALIFICATION ABBREVIATION: STEP

BACKGROUND:
    STEP was formerly administered by the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board on behalf of Cambridge Colleges. When it was first examined in the mid-1980s, there were 22 STEP papers available. Over the years, the number of papers has been gradually reduced. Most of them, with the exception of mathematics, were examined for the last time in 2002 when Advanced Extension Awards were introduced...
    We can both provide evidence on the matter that goes both way, clearly there is a lot of misinformation out there from UCAS, Cambridge and other sources it appears.

If you look at this thread for example, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2128149&page=2

Poster #25 says the reply he received from the Cambridge Mathematics Admissions Department was:

You don't have to declare on your application form
    that you took STEP (though you do have to declare
    any A-level modules you took).

It is exceedingly unlikely that any Admissions Tutor
    would find your STEP result, expecially if you don't mention
    that you took it. (We normally only see the STEP results of
    candidates holding a Cambridge officer and would have no reason
    to look at other results.)
    Let us wait for an official answer and hopefully it will be cleared up

ReputationRep:
    We can both provide evidence on the matter that goes both way, clearly there is a lot of misinformation out there from UCAS, Cambridge and other sources it appears.

If you look at this thread for example, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2128149&page=2

Poster #25 says the reply he received from the Cambridge Mathematics Admissions Department was:

I am hoping for an S in step I would cambridge see that even though its not in my offer. Just incase i get a 2 in II or III

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It is exceedingly unlikely that any Admissions Tutor
    would find your STEP result, expecially if you don't mention
    that you took it.
    To me this reads as bad advice: it's basically saying you will probably get away with it if you don't tell the whole truth. Not a good plan.

But yes, let's see what the AT replies to your post on the other thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I am hoping for an S in step I would cambridge see that even though its not in my offer. Just incase i get a 2 in II or III

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah because youve firmed their offer, they will see all results for exams you have taken. They would even get your STEP I script if they wanted to look at it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So, I see the AT is double-checking: I'd say that's a win for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    From the Faculty of Mathematics Open Day Brochure ''....but some students take (say) STEP 1 in the year before applying, just for practice. You do not have to declare that you have done so on your UCAS application form(though if you did well in the exam, you would probably want to mention it!)''

I hope this could help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    From the Faculty of Mathematics Open Day Brochure ''....but some students take (say) STEP 1 in the year before applying, just for practice. You do not have to declare that you have done so on your UCAS application form(though if you did well in the exam, you would probably want to mention it!)''

I hope this could help
    I guess that answers it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess that answers it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

I hope this could help
    I guess that answers it!
    Nope.

Christ's Admissions Tutor has just written:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post55044971

"I have spoken with the central Cambridge Admissions Office (CAO) who deal most closely with UCAS and I understand that they agreed with the Maths department last summer that the advice that STEP need not be declared was incorrect and that in future our advice should be that, in accordance with other qualifications at UCAS, that any STEP results that a candidate has at the time of application need to be declared to UCAS otherwise the application can be considered fraudulent. I hope this clears up the confusion."

ReputationRep:
    Its not true. The AT literally just said that you have to declare it. They asked the maths people aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its not true. The AT literally just said that you have to declare it. They asked the maths people aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :confused:
    see my comment 2 posts above...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I have just had a look on the other thread.

Why so many conflicting information!!!!!! Our 6th Form told us to be careful....Now I know what's meant by it..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.