Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I'm surprised people put so much emphasis on the title but his ascension to the throne would ultimately solve this issue.
    It most certainly wouldn't. The damage is already done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    It most certainly wouldn't. The damage is already done.
    Care to explain? I clearly lack the necessary historical background to understand the issue.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Diana knew what she was getting into and then bad-mouthed the Royals and fought the press whenever she could so she's brought it upon herself in a way… It's a shame what happened but I never considered her a saint like her supporters. Still, thinking that she died on his orders is incredibly paranoid and delusional.

I'm surprised people put so much emphasis on the title but his ascension to the throne would ultimately solve this issue. I wish the Royals had more power because they aren't affected by public opinion as much as the Commons, who are primarily watching out for themselves so that they're re-elected. It's one of the advantages of monarchies and hereditary titles in general.

For some reason, I don't think she's entirely sincere but if she's good enough for Charles, she's good enough for me. It's just that I can see sympathise more.
    She did draw alot of attention and it a shame that she couldn't even enjoy a meal out with the media following her ......
    There are even theories the SAS killed her
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It certainly wasn't.

Between the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and the Laws in Wales Acts in 1536 the Prince of Wales, as the son of the Monarch, was a reigning prince in the Principality of Wales (roughly modern-day Gwynedd, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire). The remainder of Wales was ruled by English Marcher Lords, predominantly from Chester, Shrewsbury, Hereford and Pembroke. During this time Wales was, I believe, run by a council of the Marcher Lords and the Prince, which I think usually met at Ludlow. Obviously before he was killed at Cilmeri in 1282, the Prince of Wales was Llywelyn II (Ein Llyw Olaf), when Wales was independent (although England was in a near-permanent state of attempted conquest).

When Henry VIII annexed Wales in 1536 Prince of Wales was no longer a position of power, and became a courtesy title for the Monarch's eldest son. This is the point at which Wales stopped being a principality. It is still resented by many though, hence MAC's (unsuccessful) attempt to blow up the investiture of Prince Charles in Caernarfon.
    Oh, I was always told that the title was used to make the Welsh feel listened to. Very interesting read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    She did draw alot of attention and it a shame that she couldn't even enjoy a meal out with the media following her ......
    There are even theories the SAS killed her
    Yeah, but that was ultimately her fault. The more one fights tabloid media, the more they're interested because a scandal is always imminent.

I know and they're funny.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Care to explain? I clearly lack the necessary historical background to understand the issue.
    He is already hated as Prince of Wales, which is why people, plenty of whom are quite happy with the Queen, are dreading Charles becoming King. Part of the problem is that the title of Prince of Wales ceased to be the title of a reigning monarchy to become the title for the heir in another monarchy.

Add to that the fact that republicanism is probably more socially acceptable in Wales than anywhere else in the UK with the exception of Northern Ireland. There also seems to be a lot less "monarchism by default". Don't forget the singing of God Save The Queen by English sports teams that further paints the picture that it is an English monarchy imposed upon Wales.

The Queen avoids a certain amount of this criticism by being a nice old lady. William might also avoid it to some extent because of his personality and his wife, but Charles will likely not.

To demonstrate this republicanism, here is Plaid leader Leanne Wood being thrown out of the Assembly chamber in 2004:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/...00/8199372.stm
    You don't see Sturgeon or Salmond making that sort of remark.

ReputationRep:
    While Charles does lack charisma and will probably be more vocal i think that despite myself not having any emotional attachment to the monarchy (i support their preservation because they are profitable and i don't want another bureaucrat) that any republicans who honestly expect success simply because he becomes king and is a bit less popular to be deluded. The Royal wedding had a confirmed live (or close enough) audience above 300 million,, you can't buy that kind of popularity.

If the UK becomes a Republic, it won't be this side of 2050.

ReputationRep:
    Diana knew what she was getting into and then bad-mouthed the Royals and fought the press whenever she could so she's brought it upon herself in a way… It's a shame what happened but I never considered her a saint like her supporters. Still, thinking that she died on his orders is incredibly paranoid and delusional.

I'm surprised people put so much emphasis on the title but his ascension to the throne would ultimately solve this issue. I wish the Royals had more power because they aren't affected by public opinion as much as the Commons, who are primarily watching out for themselves so that they're re-elected. It's one of the advantages of monarchies and hereditary titles in general.

For some reason, I don't think she's entirely sincere but if she's good enough for Charles, she's good enough for me. It's just that I can see sympathise more.
    It scares me that you want people who are absolutely and completely unaccountable to be given any sort of real power whatsoever. It's bad enough with politicians in safe seats in the House of Commons, but at least they can in theory be removed.

ReputationRep:
    He is already hated as Prince of Wales, which is why people, plenty of whom are quite happy with the Queen, are dreading Charles becoming King. Part of the problem is that the title of Prince of Wales ceased to be the title of a reigning monarchy to become the title for the heir in another monarchy.

Add to that the fact that republicanism is probably more socially acceptable in Wales than anywhere else in the UK with the exception of Northern Ireland. There also seems to be a lot less "monarchism by default". Don't forget the singing of God Save The Queen by English sports teams that further paints the picture that it is an English monarchy imposed upon Wales.

The Queen avoids a certain amount of this criticism by being a nice old lady. William might also avoid it to some extent because of his personality and his wife, but Charles will likely not.

To demonstrate this republicanism, here is Plaid leader Leanne Wood being thrown out of the Assembly chamber in 2004:
    Thanks for the explanation.

I might feel differently if I were Welsh but I think they're making too much of a fuss out of historical issues which date back to as far as 1536 according to what you said. I think it's more important to judge him upon his actions and policies than the title and by the time he becomes the King, he will probably be a nice old gentleman.

ReputationRep:

As much as republicanism may be higher in Wales i'm not so sure that most people care given how politically synced you are with England. I dare say there's more chance of you becoming a unitary region of England than becoming some independent republic.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I always thought that the monarchy was left wing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    As much as republicanism may be higher in Wales i'm not so sure that most people care given how politically synced you are with England. I dare say there's more chance of you becoming a unitary region of England than becoming some independent republic.
    There are plenty of people who have some support (or sympathy at least) for independence but oppose it on pragmatic (mostly economic) grounds.

It will be interesting to see how William's investiture goes down, and whether they use Caernarfon Castle for it again.

(Original post by Aph)
    Charles does seem to lean that way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I think the Queen is actually Centre - Right because there have been reports of the Queen saying " The EU is heading in the wrong direction"
    Apparently she has said that she wanted a group of Islamic hate preachers deported and that she is concerned over Turkey Possibility joining the EU ..... Theses are just reports but no-one is sure of the Queens Political beliefs however I don't think she liked Tony Blair much .... Watch the film " The Queen " and you will understand"

ReputationRep:
    I think the Queen is actually Centre - Right because there have been reports of the Queen saying " The EU is heading in the wrong direction"
    Apparently she has said that she wanted a group of Islamic hate preachers deported and that she is concerned over Turkey Possibility joining the EU ..... Theses are just reports but no-one is sure of the Queens Political beliefs however I don't think she liked Tony Blair much .... Watch the film " The Queen " and you will understand"
    None of those are right-wing positions. The Queen has done the job of masking her political positions admirably.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    There are plenty of people who have some support (or sympathy at least) for independence but oppose it on pragmatic (mostly economic) grounds.

It will be interesting to see how William's investiture goes down, and whether they use Caernarfon Castle for it again.

Charles does seem to lean that way.
    Indeed
    You don't have to be right wing to dislike the EU. indeed generally you have to be far left/right.

I would argue that being the head of a religious organisation and beliving that you have to serve the public are left wing ideas.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    None of those are right-wing positions. The Queen has done the job of masking her political positions admirably.
    I argee no one knows what her views are .... However the Queens Mother was reported to have been very right wing
    ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...George-VI.html )

ReputationRep:
    I argee no one knows what her views are .... However the Queens Mother was reported to have been very right wing
    ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...George-VI.html )
    yeah but that ***** is dead

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you need to be centre-centre right to dislike Tony Blair

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why people may dislike Camilla but I can't imaging why someone wouldn't like Charles. Is it those loonies who think that Diana was murdered? I think he'll be a brilliant King.
    I completely agree. Long live the impending King Charles III

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Queen is probably about Lime-man levels of Tory.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.