The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by Chembio123
Excuse how awful I am at PHYSICS, but I found rise over run and got 0.096 where am I going wrong? Like I dunno what to do from there? Paper is June 12 Q2a

As an example, use the y value at 700 and 460 to get 23.5-0/(700-460) = 0.0979
What AQA have done like the f**kers they are; they've made the line just under 24 so most people will mistake it for 24 when it's actually 23.5
Easy mistake to make, you'd have done it right otherwise, I did the same thing the first time I did that paper
Original post by Ohnis
What AQA have done like the f**kers they are; they've made the line just under 24 so most people will mistake it for 24 when it's actually 23.5
Easy mistake to make, you'd have done it right otherwise, I did the same thing the first time I did that paper

Ah thanks😎😎
What does this mean? The writing in the boxes?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466363205.403564.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ohnis

When I did this paper, I did it on A5. This makes the graph harder to read but when you did this paper (I assume on A4) was it easy to see it as 23.5 instead of 24? I made that mistake.

Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't explain it to you sorry, but in terms of knowing it for the exam you shouldn't worry about it!
Reply 1804
Original post by Suits101
When I did this paper, I did it on A5. This makes the graph harder to read but when you did this paper (I assume on A4) was it easy to see it as 23.5 instead of 24? I made that mistake.

It's barely noticeable, you can just about see that it doesn't touch the 24 so the best option is to presume that the line is halfway between 23 and 24; it's a horrid question
Original post by Ohnis
It's barely noticeable, you can just about see that it doesn't touch the 24 so the best option is to presume that the line is halfway between 23 and 24; it's a horrid question

I can barely make it out on A5 so I assume A4 would be a little bit better. I liked the question because it required a little thought, but hated this accuracy aspect! :tongue: Thanks!
Is the general consensus that CHEM5 will be an OK-ish paper or do you reckon AQA will pull a horrible one out of the bag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 26december
Is the general consensus that CHEM5 will be an OK-ish paper or do you reckon AQA will pull a horrible one out of the bag?

Posted from TSR Mobile

With maths, C3 was horrible but C4 was a standard paper but still difficult

I expect the same with CHEM5.
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too sure but them tables are disgusting
With maths, C3 was horrible but C4 was a standard paper but still difficult

I expect the same with CHEM5.

Ahhh - well CHEM5 is the more slightly easier as just need to remember stuff and not worry about applications as much however they may just destroy us once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 26december
Ahhh - well CHEM5 is the more slightly easier as just need to remember stuff and not worry about applications as much however they may just destroy us once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The hardest part of CHEM5 in my opinion is the last question about titrations. Sometimes they're standard and nice, other times they're the devil's work.
The hardest part of CHEM5 in my opinion is the last question about titrations. Sometimes they're standard and nice, other times they're the devil's work.

Weirdly I actually like those titration questions! I always get what they're asking! It's the rest of the paper (especially the transition metals) that I struggle with haha
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Weirdly I actually like those titration questions! I always get what they're asking! It's the rest of the paper (especially the transition metals) that I struggle with haha

Do you understand June 13 8b (or c, whichever is the last question)?

I got the ratio however I thought Cl- ligands were bigger than NH3 ions so I don't understand why Z = Cu(NH3)6Cl3?
Do you understand June 13 8b (or c, whichever is the last question)?

I got the ratio however I thought Cl- ligands were bigger than NH3 ions so I don't understand why Z = Cu(NH3)6Cl3?

cobalt was first substituted using the ammonia to amke co(nh3)6(2+) and then the oxidising agent makes it (3+) and from there the cl- ions cant really displace those nh3 ligands so it's like a salt and the - charges attract to the +3 charge on the complex.

Idk it's weird and I don't really know why it happens but the wording of the question kind of lead me to it
Original post by Rabadon
cobalt was first substituted using the ammonia to amke co(nh3)6(2+) and then the oxidising agent makes it (3+) and from there the cl- ions cant really displace those nh3 ligands so it's like a salt and the - charges attract to the +3 charge on the complex.

Idk it's weird and I don't really know why it happens but the wording of the question kind of lead me to it

That makes a lot more sense! I guess I was trying to rush through it and didn't look at it step by step! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1815
I found 8c alright apart the formula, then I looked at 8b and I have no idea what the hell the chelate effect is
In January 2013
Question 7a
How do you draw the diagram without the SHE?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ohnis
I found 8c alright apart the formula, then I looked at 8b and I have no idea what the hell the chelate effect is

Substitution of unidentate ligands with bidentate or multidentate ligands leads to a more stable complex, which is the chelate effect.

This is because:

Increase in number of particles
So disorder increases so entropy increases
Original post by Ohnis

Chelation is in the book

Posted from TSR Mobile
When drawing the conventional cell representation for electrochemical cells, when do you include Pt on the outside of the lines? Also is it most negative E value on the left and most positive E value on the right??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending