Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Haha i seen some class lists out of all the years of mathmos at homerton(a period of 3 years) only like 1 guy got a first.
    aren't you gonna mind though???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    aren't you gonna mind though???
    We will see at the end of first year. I will let you know then. The reason they so many low results is cause hey pick all the 1,2 and 1,3s out of the pool.
    The DoS's there is person giving your second and third year lectures it is not a case of cause your at trinity your gna get a first cause your at homerton your gna get 2:2. Depends on the individual and trinity generally has the best intake and homerton generally has the worst.

ReputationRep:
    How did everybody prepare for STEP apart from doing past papers?

ReputationRep:
    So I get 3's in STEP I and II in my real exams (most likely, dw that's not me being pessimistic), but just got a 1 in STEP III 2009.

Ah I give up. 1's at home, 3's in the exams. Great!

ReputationRep:
    Accurate representation of me:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    So I get 3's in STEP I and II in my real exams (most likely, dw that's not me being pessimistic), but just got a 1 in STEP III 2009.

Ah I give up. 1's at home, 3's in the exams. Great!
    Me irl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Me irl
    Loool it's nice to know others feel the same pain I bet tons of people experience this tbh, I don't get nervous doing an exam at home xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    How many marks would I lose for this(be as harsh as possible please I really don't want false hope of getting in):
    Q2 Got the first part fine, second part I got the values but my factorisation or algebra must have been slightly incorrect as I got the wrong solutions.
    Q3 got to the last part but for the n is even/odd I just checked the case n=2 and then used that to guess that it has no solutions when n is even and 1 when n is odd.
    Q6 did it up to the last part but couldn't do any of the last part of the Q, did not even attempt it.
    Q8 I got all of the last part wrong, but got the first part fine. My sketch was a little dodgy, dock a mark for that.
    Q4 I got the first part, but not the deduce y^2 +1, then solved for y and showed the equality for y in the second part but did not find x or tan(theta).
    I'm borderline and I really don't know what mark to give this. Think I am likely a high 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Q6: drop 8.
    Q4: drop 12 (that's what I'm doing for myself, since I did exactly the same as you).
    Q3: drop 3.
    Q8: drop 8.
    Q2: Not sure what you mean by this? Did you do everything except for some slight arithmetic fail or...?

ReputationRep:
    Any guesses on what I'd get for this?

Q 1: Got close to showing the intersection was on 4y^2 = 3x-1 but couldn't quite get through the algebra. Got the right conclusion about the curves touching, but from the wrong cubic (I forgot to square y). Sketched the correct shape of the graphs, but no coordinates for the points where they touched.

Q 3: Should be full, apart from I didn't justify the number of solutions for even n. Lovely question!

Q 5: Wrote down the first expression they asked for and then the sum.

Q 6: Did everything up to the last part. Tried the last part by replacing 2 with m in previous working, but didn't get anywhere.

Q 7: Hopefully got everything right up to (iv). In that part, got to the integral of 1/(sin x + cos x + 1) but didn't make a substitution to get further. May have made an arithmetic error in one of the previous parts.

Q 12: Full.

ReputationRep:
    Q6: drop 8.
    Q4: drop 12 (that's what I'm doing for myself, since I did exactly the same as you).
    Q3: drop 3.
    Q8: drop 8.
    Q2: Not sure what you mean by this? Did you do everything except for some slight arithmetic fail or...?
    Yeah everything apart from some slight arithmetic slips, I'm guessing 16 marks for this myself, thanks will total that up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah everything apart from some slight arithmetic slips, I'm guessing 16 marks for this myself, thanks will total that up
    16 is too much. Go for 17/18.

Btw, did you do Q7?

ReputationRep:
    16 is too much. Go for 17/18.

Btw, did you do Q7?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like you got ~80, higher than me at least. I'm not sure what you're worried about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Any guesses on what I'd get for this?

Q 1: Got close to showing the intersection was on 4y^2 = 3x-1 but couldn't quite get through the algebra. Got the right conclusion about the curves touching, but from the wrong cubic (I forgot to square y). Sketched the correct shape of the graphs, but no coordinates for the points where they touched.

Q 3: Should be full, apart from I didn't justify the number of solutions for even n. Lovely question!

Q 5: Wrote down the first expression they asked for and then the sum.

Q 6: Did everything up to the last part. Tried the last part by replacing 2 with m in previous working, but didn't get anywhere.

Q 7: Hopefully got everything right up to (iv). In that part, got to the integral of 1/(sin x + cos x + 1) but didn't make a substitution to get further. May have made an arithmetic error in one of the previous parts.

Q 12: Full.
    15 + 18 + 10(?) + 12/13 + 17 + 20 = ~92+

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else done STEP III 2009 and found it really easy? I've never gotten a 1 in STEP III before, wondering if it was just an easier paper? I think I did so well because I could answer 4 fulls without doing any FM content

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else done STEP III 2009 and found it really easy? I've never gotten a 1 in STEP III before, wondering if it was just an easier paper? I think I did so well because I could answer 4 fulls without doing any FM content
    easiest paper of the recents yeah

ReputationRep:
    15 + 18 + 10(?) + 12/13 + 17 + 20 = ~92+
    Definitely need that question mark after 10, I think it'll be more like 3 at best (it took about 2 minutes). But even without that, I've pretty definitely got a 1 by your reckoning, so thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Defo easy, I got 11 marks higher than in any other III paper. Still impressive to get a 1 though, since the grade boundaries went up to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    But even without that, I've pretty definitely got a 1 by your reckoning, so thanks!
    Yep, congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    Defo easy, I got 11 marks higher than in any other III paper. Still impressive to get a 1 though, since the grade boundaries went up to compensate.
    Ahaha thanks No I always seem to do incredibly well in the easier papers (Like in STEP I mocks I always got a 1 or a 2, but in the higher grade boundary ones I got a couple S's) and incredibly badly in the harder papers. Maybe that's just down to not enough practice. Imagine my results are 3,3,1 looool.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.