University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

(Original post by vincrows)
    As long as you remember you're going on the day you're supposed to go and you actually go, it'll be fine. Things will get going as it should be.
    Wait was it the Saturday or Sunday? :confused:

I think my family will remind me either way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Wait was it the Saturday or Sunday? :confused:

I think my family will remind me either way!
    lol Ask them not to forget load you in the car.
    Well, enjoy the last few days of marriage blue.

Edit: hope it's Sunday. Rain/shower forecast on Friday/Saturday in Cambridge.
    It's really not fun having to carry stuff in the rain to and fro-Ing many times between a car/accomm.
    Though, in our case, it only happened once when leaving the college for good on graduation day.

It's really not fun having to carry stuff in the rain to and fro-Ing many times between a car/accomm.
    Though, in our case, it only happened once when leaving the college for good on graduation day.
    Yeah I'll stuff myself in a huge bag ready to go XD

Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-28-09-04-07-1.png
Views: 40
Size:  34.0 KB
    It's almost as if Cambridge doesn't want me there :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll stuff myself in a huge bag ready to go XD

Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-28-09-04-07-1.png
Views: 40
Size:  34.0 KB
    It's almost as if Cambridge doesn't want me there :sad:
    Is it Saturday you have to go?
    If you arrive in the morning, it's dry!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653941

ReputationRep:

Cambridge is surprisingly dry to be fair, for someone who is used to Welsh levels of rain it seemed to only rain a handful of times last year.

ReputationRep:
    ok sorry for this, I've lost a bunch of cambridge letters and the medical yellow booklet thing. Anyone have a checklist of things they asked us to do or bring. Preferably medics? thankl
    I remember the medical forms and stuff, were there any other major things ?

ReputationRep:
    wth I questioned my mum this morning as to why I have 4 suitcases, as they are apparently full of essentials. I then opened one of the bags to find 2x2kg bags of tesco basmati rice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Cambridge is surprisingly dry to be fair, for someone who is used to Welsh levels of rain it seemed to only rain a handful of times last year.
    Anywhere is dry compared to wales.

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere is dry compared to wales.
    Other than Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    wth I questioned my mum this morning as to why I have 4 suitcases, as they are apparently full of essentials. I then opened one of the bags to find 2x2kg bags of tesco basmati rice...
    That is essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    That is essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah I just have to find which bag the rice cooker is in now

My mum laughs at me everytime I say I can cook rice

@EnglishMuon I'll buy cooked rice off you when I need it ok

ReputationRep:
    My mum laughs at me everytime I say I can cook rice

@EnglishMuon I'll buy cooked rice off you when I need it ok
    that can be part of the payment if u want :lol:
    I mean the good thing about cooking rice/pasta is its hard to burn the water atleast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    yeah I just have to find which bag the rice cooker is in now
    Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confiscate unregistered electric cooking appliances.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confisticate unregistered electric cooking appliances.
    Some colleges don't allow you to have heating appliances at all... so the best policy may be to not mention it and put it away when the kitchen/your room is being cleaned.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confisticate unregistered electric cooking appliances.
    They might need to confisticate the letters 'ti' as well :-P

This feels a bit like school... "don't use your rice cookers during university time or they will be confiscated and your parents will have to come and collecr them"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Some colleges don't allow you to have heating appliances at all... so the best policy may be to not mention it and put it away when the kitchen/your room is being cleaned.
    ummmm.....not too sure about that. The point of the system is to avoid a risk of fire by a faulty appliances/equipment which was not checked and approved by them.
    If something happens because of your unregistered appliances, you'll have to bear the responsibility.
    If EnglishMuon's college really doesn't permit use of appliances, I don't want to advice or suggest anything what to do (), but if they do, it'd be better to follow the official rule. It's much easier (saves you from hassle of hiding) and it does protect yourself in case an unfortunate event happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    They might need to confisticate the letters 'ti' as well :-P

This feels a bit like school... "don't use your rice cookers during university time or they will be confiscated and your parents will have to come and collecr them"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read my post above.
    It's for safety reason.
    Seriously, it's not complicated.
    Once it's registered and stickered, you can use it until you graduate. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    Read my post above.
    It's for safety reason.
    Seriously, it's not complicated.
    Once it's registered and stickered, you can use it until you graduate. That's all.
    Lol I'm only joking :-P

I would say chill but I haven't registered my minifridge yet :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confiscate unregistered electric cooking appliances.
    lol dw I wont be bringing a rice cooker, im way to impractical for stuff like that . Dont think we are even allowed toasted sandwich makers.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.