Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight. Just okay. Neck and pecs feeling really tight.

Squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad given that rack was at quite an angle to the mirror which usually puts me off.

Press:

66 x 5/4/1

Meh.

Deadlifts:

145 x 5

Okay.

Some lacrosse ball work and hamstring stretching then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tonight was egregious. Not feeling great all weak, pressed 66 for a double and had nothing else. So did some lacrosse ball work, stretching then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight. Back not feeling great; maybe it's because I haven't really done anything in almost two weeks (lets ignore last session).

Pause squats:

120 x 5/5

Quite difficult.

CGBP:

80 x 5/4/3

First time doing these in ages. Had more in me on the first set but fatigue quickly.

Deadlifts:

150 x 5

Meh. Still struggling to take a deep breath and hold tight.

Some lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight. Upper back and neck in a bit of pain. Well, feel tight.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Felt difficult but told didn't look that difficult.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Not difficult, but wanted to ensure form is correct by engaging traps better by shrugging at the top.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/3

Not done these in a while. My fault.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not terrible, but not brilliant this afternoon. Still feeling tight in the same places.

Squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Okay. Didn't feel fully recovered from last time.

CGBP:

82.5 x 4

****ed up here. Meant to do 80 3x5 but was a nincompoop and loaded on an extra 1.25 each side. My fault.

Deadlifts:

155 x 5

Not that great. Really struggle to maintain hard extension and take a deep breath. Struggling with diaphragm breathing, I think. Hips were probably too low on some of these reps too. The deadlift certainly isn't the easiest lift for, technically.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session, everything else still the same.

Pause squats:

122.5 x 5/5

Okay.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad. Again really focusing on shrugging up at the top for a more stable lockout.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

Not too bad... should never have stopped doing these. Really need to get better at them again and maybe even progress to doing them weighted.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay tonight. Better than I thought as I was feeling a bit rough today. But didn't do much.

Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5/3/4/1

Last three sets were close grip.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session this afternoon. Wasn't in long.

Press:

65 x 5/5/5

Quite hard. I honestly think that doing some form of squats to begin with really helps warm me up, and maybe even helps with subsequent lifts, providing I do not go all out on the squats.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Technique still not clicking. I think my shoulders are too far forward in front of the bar, and maybe this is due to my shoes putting me forward slightly. Or maybe I'm not putting my hips back far enough. This obviously makes thoracic extension more difficult, which also makes taking a deep breath and staying tight more difficult, which makes the lift more difficult. Also feeling maybe a bit too much loading on the knees, which is also a sign that I'm not tight enough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight. Low back feeling a bit awkward after Saturday - not sure if it was the pressing or deadlifting. Or maybe something else.

Squats:

147.5 x 5/5/5

Felt heavy, but told wasn't too bad.

CGBP:

80 x 5/5/5

Managed to load up the bar correctly this time, and got them all. First 3 to 4 reps of each set not difficult, but triceps fatigue quickly.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/6

Improving. And hopefully keeps improving.

ReputationRep:
    Strong squatting !
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a bad session tonight. Feeling a little fatigued from Wednesday (not used to training this frequently at the moment, sadly), and pecs, traps and neck feeling tight.

Squats:

150 x 5/5/5

Quite difficult.

Press:

66 x 5/5/5

Quite difficult. I think I may be hyperextending my low back on these, which may have caused the little low back niggle last time. I'll see how things feel tomorrow, and I'm also going to learn the press 2.0, as apparently it's a little more low back friendly.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Hard, but did them in socks which overall felt a little better and was told there was nothing wrong with my back.

Some lacrosse ball work throughout the session then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Decent enough session tonight. Was meant to be a quicker one. Left trap and pec feeling quite tight, I think.

Squats:

152.5 x 5/5/5

Quite hard again.

Chins:

bodyweight x 7/6/6

Slight improvement from last time.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a terrible session tonight. Sleep been poor, and still same tightness in the same places.

Squats:

120 x 5/5

Light squats.

Press (2.0)

50 x 5
    55 x 5/4

Trying to learn it. Need to try harder.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Meh. Still struggling with upper back tightness and still struggling to set my back tight. But I think I may have been setting up with the bar too far back towards my heels as opposed to over the mid-foot.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Average session this afternoon.

Squats:

155 x 5/5/5

Very difficult. Lost form a bit on the last rep of the last two sets and maybe felt it a bit in the low back. Maybe.

Bench press:

85 x 4

Meh. Been a while since I benched with a normal grip, was still fatigued from squats, had no spot, and various other excuses. Although there's a bit of truth to them all, reality is I'm not strong on pressing exercises unless I do them heavy and often and maybe didn't push myself enough.

Chins:

bodyweight x 7/5/5

Some stretching then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a great session tonight. Low back feeling awkward and sore. Hope it's nothing serious. I guess time will tell.

Squats:

120 x 5/5

Light squats again, low back not really liking these much. Felt a compression sensation when at the bottom of the squat.

Press 2.0:

55 x 5/5/5

Not difficult, despite issues with low back. Not sure what happened last time.

Deadlifts:

55 x 10/10/10

Just some rehab work to try and get some blood into the area.

Then home.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What's wrong with your back? I forget

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    What's wrong with your back? I forget

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had a long standing issue with my mid-back where for many years I could not use the low bar position on the squat without a compression feeling somewhere on my mid back. However, I haven't had issues with the low bar position for almost a year now (touch wood). My back still clicks a lot but I suspect a lot of that, and the issue as a whole, is due to tight pecs and other musculature giving me a rounded shoulder appearance and the associated strain in the various back musculature. I try and do some self massage type work with a lacrosse ball, but I'm not particularly good at it. I've never seen a professional about it except for a physio a few months after it first started who noted my posture was poor.

What I'm complaining about tonight though is an almost brand new low back issue. I don't know what it is. There is no particular position that hurts more than any other; just a sort of dull ache on my low back area.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session this afternoon, although not much food before hand. Low back feeling maybe a little better, didn't bother me as much today really. Apparently it was just a little bit of inflammation and my glutes were tight as ****. Did a bit of lacrosse ball work on them throughout the session and will do it at home too.

Squats:

120 x 5
    130 x 5
    140 x 5

Not too bad. Just wanted to see what I could do. Did these beltless too.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Not bad when I was doing it right. Lost a lot of strength in my pecs though. Need to remember to focus on the roof and not the bar and keep tight with big breath.

Chins:

bodyweight x 7/6/5

Then some stretching and home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a bad session tonight. Everything still the same otherwise.

Squats:

120 x 5
    135 x 5
    150 x 5

Equalled a beltless PR. Quite hard.

Press:

57.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad. Still trying to learn this style of press.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Think I've been setting up with the bar too far away from me, i.e. not over the mid-foot. I think I have been equating the mid-foot with the metatarsal strap on my shoes rather than the actual laces, which is what I should be doing.

A bit of lacrosse ball work and foam rolling throughout the session, mainly on the glutes, then home.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, do you use a thumb-less grip when pressing?

That's the way I learnt it when I started and what I have been doing ever since haha!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.