Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    If you can gain interviews at this early stage [when you have less experience to draw upon in your PS and during the interview itself] then that is no bad thing. But, I'd definitely recommend that you think about the type of school you want - don't feel like you have to accept the first one.

A friend of mine did that. She had three interviews lined up but was offered a job at the first one, so didn't go to the others. Now she is having an awful time and there appears to be an awful lot of problems in the school, meaning they take on around 20 NQTs each year and less than 10% ever stay on after the NQT is done.
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely being picky in terms of where I apply and will be carefully considering at interview whether I want to work in that school. Which is why I'm applying early. If I don't have a job lined up by the time of the summer term, I'll start being less picky, but for now I'm going to be selective.

The only job I've applied for so far is in a reasonably good school (not amazing but one of the better schools in its area) and I know someone who has worked as a TA in the department who has been quite positive about the school and particularly the staff in that department. So it sounds promising - will just have to see if I get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    First job applied for. Smashing.

Also started second placement today, got a desk, today is the greatest day of my career to date.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to update date that with one of my oldest friends, who at a different Uni, is also on placement there and we just randomly bumped into each other not realising we were both there. This placement is the gift that keeps on giving

So how are y'all doing?

ReputationRep:
    Bricking it about my interview on Thursday :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    I've just found out that I've got an interview on Thursday too! But the message I got said they'd be sending me an email with further details and I haven't received that yet (and yes I have checked that I put the right address on the form!), so am going to be a bit short of time for planning an interview lesson and so on.

Luckily tomorrow afternoon's university session is an optional workshop so I've pulled out of that to give myself a bit of extra time.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your interviews! Don't forget to enjoy the experience whatever happens- I had five interviews in total and can honestly say each one was a good experience (even the slightly weird one!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    First job applied for. Smashing.

Also started second placement today, got a desk, today is the greatest day of my career to date.

(Original post by StarBabyCat)
    Good luck both of you in your interviews and applications!!

I think I have found a job that I am going to apply for! Scary times!

I had my tutor/senior mentor observation for my placement last week! Felt SO sick beforehand! But I git excellents on everything Am over the moon!!

Final 2 days with my class. Feeling rather sad about it

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be way ahead of me in their observations, doing so well and getting satisfactories and outstandings when im getting satisfactories and goods oh well, officially halfway through now!

ReputationRep:
    My first and only graded observation for my first placement today and I got a satisfactory. It was pretty harsh of them when so much of the lesson was good and there were only minor things they had to pick up on, but meh. Looks like my job hunt just got harder :-)

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting how different universities seem to do things - we don't have graded observations at all.

So for each observation the teacher writes their feedback and targets on an evidence record form and then I go through and link their comments to the different teacher standards (write T4, T7 etc. in the margins) to show I'm meeting them.

At the end of my placement, my mentor looked at all these forms and my record of meeting the standards to write a report, giving an overall judgement (but not in Ofsted terms - it's things like "High", "QTS level", "Potential" instead).

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it's really interesting to see how all the universities go about grading things.

Mine simply has a sheet, where the teachers just record their thoughts free hand, and then at the end, they have to write at least 1 positive thing, and at least 1 area for improvement.

we don't get ranked, until at the end of placement when they fill in the QTS standards that they think we met. ( or not)

Which is why I, and several others were so shocked at the end of Placement 1 to find out that we had done so badly, because none of our lesson obeservation feedback was linked to the the Standards. So even though I knew I had a problem with pace, I didn't realise just how many standards I would fail because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Interview for my first job application in a month! Woooo, baby.

Now to prepare. Good times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Everyone seems to be way ahead of me in their observations, doing so well and getting satisfactories and outstandings when im getting satisfactories and goods oh well, officially halfway through now!
    I wouldn't worry, I didn't know of many people who were "outstanding" at this stage. Maybe they're being over-graded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexxxx)
    I wouldn't worry, I didn't know of many people who were "outstanding" at this stage. Maybe they're being over-graded?
    I agree. My uni wouldn't even use the grade outstanding because they believed that as a trainee it was unrealistic. They instead used the grade very good to show you were better than good but not quite outstanding.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexxxx)
    This. I did my PGCE last year and the gradings were unsat. ; sat; good; very good. Even outstanding would mean you are an outstanding TRAINEE (rather than Ofted ratings)
    I think anyone that thinks they teach Ofsted-standard Outstanding lessons whilst training must be deluded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    This. I did my PGCE last year and the gradings were unsat. ; sat; good; very good. Even outstanding would mean you are an outstanding TRAINEE (rather than Ofted ratings)
    I think anyone that thinks they teach Ofsted-standard Outstanding lessons whilst training must be deluded
    Yeah.

My co-tutor at my first placement school said that when she did her PGCE they used ratings like 'Satisfactory', 'Good' and 'Outstanding' for lesson observations, and she got lots of 'Good's and 'Outstanding's. Then when she did her NQT year and was observed by her HoD she was gutted to only get 'Satisfactory', but they told her it was absolutely fine for an NQT and it would be unrealistic to expect an 'Outstanding' when she was still so inexperienced.

I'm quite pleased my university just asks for an overall judgement against each section of the teacher standards. Personally I got 'QTS' (so basically satisfactory) for teaching, which I'm quite happy with at this stage in the course - I've got plenty of time to improve, but even if I got the same next time I would pass the PGCE. The university said they'd be OK with people getting 'Potential' for some areas in the first placement so long as they were 'QTS' across the board by the end of the course.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to thank everyone who has posted on here. I'm due to start a PGCE in September, and although I'm looking forward to it, I want to go into it with my eyes open.

You've all really helped, and it doesn't feel like such a lonely process now

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I'm going to be doing my teacher training this year... so nervous, I feel like time is just flying by! How bad is it terms of workload? I've heard horror stories about the amount of work you get loaded with!

Why on earth did I just get negged!? :confused: I was asking a simple question.... jeez! Whoever negged me, at least tell me why?

ReputationRep:
    You dont know how easy you've got it, try doing a 10 hours shift in KFC and not being able to sit dowj because cameras are watching you/or your manager will be shouting down your neck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)
    I'd just like to thank everyone who has posted on here. I'm due to start a PGCE in September, and although I'm looking forward to it, I want to go into it with my eyes open.

You've all really helped, and it doesn't feel like such a lonely process now
    I'll second that....

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.