The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jsadapa1
I am doing 4 A2s n 1 AS, but for my offer, i only need 3 A2 results.. so i have lost all motivation to do well in the extra AS im doing, (im still trying to do well in the other extra A2). I have 7 exams next week, 1 each on Monday to Thrusday and 3 on friday! and that friday, i have Chem 5 (which is my 4th alevel), M5 (part of my extra AS), n FP3 (part of my extra AS).

so whenever i try to open the book of the "extra" alevel papers im doing that are not needed for my offer, i feel like i should instead study more on those that are required for my offer instead.

Its not like i will struggle to do well in the ones i need an offer in, but i just dont feel like putting effort in the extra papers (and to do well in them, they require A LOT OF EFFORT). I know if i put my heart to it, i will definately get good marks, but i dont have any motivation to.

So i decided i should forget those papers, still sit them but its ok even if i get a C or a D in them.

So i was wondering if i get lower in those extra papers, n i still get into Cambridge, will they ever be against me? Like when im applying to a job or internship or anything, will the lower results affect me?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you (engineering) as well. I don't think you need mention the other results in the future and your degree from Cambridge will count for much more.

I am doing Design Technology and Cambridge don't care what I get in it (I need A* in FM. A in Maths and Physics) but it is so much more work than the other A2s. The project took loads of time and knowing it didn't matter what I got in it made me struggle to put all my effort in it. I was predicted A* in it but I don't think I will get it now - just hoping that I get an A for reasons of pride. It's quite depressing really and I like DT.
Also I know everything hinges on my getting A* in FM. The fact I got A* in Maths in January (100 average in C3 and C4) doesn't count for anything. I was actually depressed whwn I got my results. FP3 didn't go great on Monday and I have to make sure I don't make any more stupid mistakes next week. I think raw marks needed for A* are the highest in FM :frown:

Hope I'll be there in October (Pembroke)
Original post by Got the tshirt
just hoping that I get an A for reasons of pride. It's quite depressing really

Imagine having to do five exams, all of which don't matter, purely for pride. Revision was hard and at times nonexistent... ah well tis over now. I'll see you guys in October at least
Reply 1822
Original post by BrassPioneer
The problem for me is not the A*, I've all but got that. It's the two blasted A's. Do you think I will get in on 2A*s and a B?

it differs between colleges. when i asked the newnham admissions staff at an open day, they said they accepted a fair few with AAA but wouldn't even consider an applicant with a B for their 3rd subject...

all you can do if you miss it is make a list of irrefutable reasons why they should let you in, ring up, then beg! good luck anyway :smile:
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Hello, can one of you lovely people tell me when we actually move in? My course starts 1st Oct, is there freshers before that? It's St John's if that makes a difference :dontknow:

I know this is a late reply, but just to let you know: John's freshers will be arriving on the 30th September (unless they're internationals) :smile: I'm in the middle of planning a fun-filled freshers' week of fun. Most lectures start on Thursday 6th, I don't know if vets start earlier though...
Not sure if I'm going to make my offer... :cry:
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Positivity :console: :hugs:
Reply 1826
My parents bought me a bicycle for my birthday...no pressure then =/

Edit: Not quite sure why this got negged. Was being sarcastic- sorry if it was somehow misinterpreted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1827

Ofcourse you will!
I think we all feel like this at some stage during exam time... people panic a lot, it's normal. As cpdavis said - POSITIVITY!

And stay calm :smile:

Original post by cpdavis
Positivity :console: :hugs:

This is effectively what my brain goes through every day, in an ever repeating cycle. Eek.
Chin up though Doughnuts, I'm sure you'll be great. And in the end, they gave you the offer because they want you! :hugs:
Original post by miraclemile
This is effectively what my brain goes through every day, in an ever repeating cycle. Eek.
Chin up though Doughnuts, I'm sure you'll be great. And in the end, they gave you the offer because they want you! :hugs:

And I thought they didn't want me when I saw the offer they gave me!!:frown:

I'm sure everyone(except me) will be fine. Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Got the tshirt
And I thought they didn't want me when I saw the offer they gave me!!:frown:

I'm sure everyone(except me) will be fine. Good luck everyone :smile:

Aww no, is it horribly hard? :frown: I'm sure you've got much more chance than you think though - and you can always join me in begging down the phone on results day if all else fails! I'm hoping it's not going to come to that but...

And yes, good luck everyone!!
Original post by SoapyDish
I know this is a late reply, but just to let you know: John's freshers will be arriving on the 30th September (unless they're internationals) :smile: I'm in the middle of planning a fun-filled freshers' week of fun. Most lectures start on Thursday 6th, I don't know if vets start earlier though...

WOO :smile: Ahh cool thanks, my parents booked a hotel for them to stay in on the 30th, so that's cool :biggrin: It's quite a long travel you see so we're planning now. Hopefully I get the grades though now... :teehee:
Reply 1832

You'll be fine mate :smile: I've got my fingers crossed for you anyway!

Positive mental attitude!
Reply 1833

has anyone with an offer from selwyn heard anything from them since offers came out??
also, anyone with a choral award to clare college?
GOOD LUCK to everyone with A levels etc. we can do this!!
Two more exams to go....not feeling confident at all :s
I take comfort in the fact that other people are also worried about missing that bloody A*...I though I was the only one...

Dont say that!!! Im sure you will, if you cant then who can( if you know what I mean !) :smile: To be honest, not quite feeling how my exams went, I just worked so hard this year, I hope it all turns out okay!!
Original post by kiki-b
has anyone with an offer from selwyn heard anything from them since offers came out??
also, anyone with a choral award to clare college?
GOOD LUCK to everyone with A levels etc. we can do this!!

Hey, Im from Selwyn :smile:
Ummm just a letter saying if I missed my offer by a few marks they will still consider me thats it really

Good luck to you too!! Two more to go ahhhh then freedom
Any idea when reading lists will come out, and how they'll be sent out?
Original post by timsquirrell
Any idea when reading lists will come out, and how they'll be sent out?

you can find ones for last year online if you use google. It might be a bit depressing to read all the books now and not get in though :P
Original post by anoushka1
Hey, Im from Selwyn :smile:
Ummm just a letter saying if I missed my offer by a few marks they will still consider me thats it really

Good luck to you too!! Two more to go ahhhh then freedom

Same! From a different college though, but its probably the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending