Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not all that worried, for Warwick at least.

For me, I see that roughly around 10 people graduate with first class for MMORSE (the degree I'm taking), and I know the yearly intake is about 140~150ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamlaw)
    Sorry haha. It is not my assumption that we head over to UK for the sole reason that we want better class degrees. It is my assumption though that it is one of the many motivations we consider when doing our balancing of pros and cons. Maybe its not yours? It is not a hidden fact that the bellcurve here restricts the amount of higher class degrees.

But the assumption that you think I made and you sought to justify isnt material. Really, the crux of my post is - huge numbers of good degree holders (i.e 2nd uppers and firsts) coming back glued together with the fact that people are seeing how grade inflation is a problem with the UK universities (media - newspapers, TV, etc) - not an issue at all?

Your first point is well-received. thanks.

As for grade inflation, admittedly, it seems to be a world-wide phenomenon, including the likes of harvard, albeit a slower extent than the uk. I won't say that grade-inflation is not pervasive in Singapore, as witnessed by the increasing hordes of A Level leavers attaining top scores.

ReputationRep:
    :top:
    (Original post by anwar1808)
    I got an offer to do Economics (L100) from Loughborough. What do you guys think/know of this uni?
    :congrats:
    :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerrycsl)
    Nottingham for Law, most definitely. Warwick law is still relatively new - and reflected in the fact that Singapore only very recently included it in the list of UK universities from which law degrees are recognised for the purposes of admission to the Singapore Bar. Warwick is one of the stronger 'new' universities but law isn't one of its strengths right now. On the other hand, you'll find quite a number of Nottingham law graduates right up to the big firms in Singapore.

Are you holding any other offers though?
    nopes im still waiting for birmingham medicine. i wasted two of my options because i didnt take the bmat in time.
    i was thinking of rejecting the offer and applying to ucl via ucas extra which is very risky. =// how is nottingham regarded by employers in singapore? is it much lower than ucl kcl or warwick?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    nopes im still waiting for birmingham medicine. i wasted two of my options because i didnt take the bmat in time.
    i was thinking of rejecting the offer and applying to ucl via ucas extra which is very risky. =// how is nottingham regarded by employers in singapore? is it much lower than ucl kcl or warwick?

thanks
    Well applying to UCL for Law in Extra is definitely risky - I'm not sure UCL even has places in Extra, much less for Law which is such an oversubscribed and competitive course. But perhaps you could drop the Law admissions department an e-mail and enquire? No harm in asking anyway, and they'd probably be able to advise you accordingly as well.

Hmm as for Nottingham I would say it's regarded as a more established law school as opposed to Warwick, but in general one might have the edge with a degree from a London university - all things such as class of honours being equal. UCL and KCL are very solid universities for Law (not just in the UK, but in terms of international reputation) that alongside with LSE are the next best after Oxbridge, so I'm thinking you should go for one of the London ones given the opportunity. But if not a good first/second upper class honours degree from the likes of Notts/Bristol etc should stand you in good stead too.

All the best with your application!

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone! I'm here to answer any questions about singapore unis =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    Hi, i just got a conditional offer for law at university of nottingham AAB and i would like to know whether nottingham or warwick is a better choice for my course if i'm planning to return to singapore to work. =//

i think warwick has a better ranking overall but nottingham's higher ranked for their law course? O_o

thanks
    honestly speaking, nt much of any difference. employers are not going to employ/reject you just becuz you are/are not from either of the 2 schools. what matters most is your legal grasp, your interview performance, your grades [very impt!] and your pupillage performance. although i must emphasize that nottingham does have a significant presence in the singapore legal scene. there are many lawyers from notts. including one district judge and one senior counsel from shook lin and bok...and a number of senior partners. so if u wanna talk about presence, nottingham might be slightly better, as it wasnt until quite recently when warwick LLB was recognized by the BLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonanz)
    honestly speaking, nt much of any difference. employers are not going to employ/reject you just becuz you are/are not from either of the 2 schools. what matters most is your legal grasp, your interview performance, your grades [very impt!] and your pupillage performance. although i must emphasize that nottingham does have a significant presence in the singapore legal scene. there are many lawyers from notts. including one district judge and one senior counsel from shook lin and bok...and a number of senior partners. so if u wanna talk about presence, nottingham might be slightly better, as it wasnt until quite recently when warwick LLB was recognized by the BLE.
    Yes Nottingham is higher ranked¡ join at facebook the nottingham university offer holders 2010¡

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)

thanks
    i'm a little confused; so are you applying to medicine or law?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i took my A Levels last year and got 4 H2 As.

However i kinda screwed up LNATS (17). do you reckon i'd be in for a good shot at KCL law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londondream)

However i kinda screwed up LNATS (17). do you reckon i'd be in for a good shot at KCL law?
    never better. apply and im sure youll get what you covet. why not include ucl and lse in your choices?

ReputationRep:

probably. since there is someone on the KCL forum side who got a 15 and received an offer from KCL law.

although there isnt a rumoured LNAT cut off for KCL Law, nor is LNAT everything in an application.

ReputationRep:
    hey melson,

actually i did apply for the other 2, but i read from this forum that ppl who got below 21 got rej by ucl, so no pt stating. :P

and by the look of it, i think i'd have a better shot at LSE than KCL, since LSE doesnt look at LNAT, and i got AAAA, which is what they want.

thanks gi. for the encouragement!

ReputationRep:
    hey melson,

actually i did apply for the other 2, but i read from this forum that ppl who got below 21 got rej by ucl, so no pt stating. :P

and by the look of it, i think i'd have a better shot at LSE than KCL, since LSE doesnt look at LNAT, and i got AAAA, which is what they want.

LSE is very particular about a lot of things, including the style your PS is written. I have heard of feedback that the PS was the reason people were rejected.

And wow, 21? I am not entirely sure that's true... someone said in the Law section that they got rejected because of LNAT by UCL when their score was 18 this year. But 21 is a little high a cut off?

ReputationRep:
    what kinda style is lse looking out for?

the people they accepted largely have scores above 21, that is not to say that everyone scoring below that wld be rejected, nor above that accepted. but i would say that this rule holds true for 90% of the applicants that visit TSR.

ReputationRep:
    hey melson,

i dont think LSE is all that much easier or less strict than KCL in terms of admittance. i think its the other way round. cause apparently BECAUSE of the fact that LSE do not consider LNAT, they are very particular about things like your GCSEs (O-levels), personal statements and all that other extra factors that might just give you the edge.

all in all, good luck in getting your offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    LSE is very particular about a lot of things, including the style your PS is written. I have heard of feedback that the PS was the reason people were rejected.

And wow, 21? I am not entirely sure that's true... someone said in the Law section that they got rejected because of LNAT by UCL when their score was 18 this year. But 21 is a little high a cut off?
    haha yeah, 21 is a bit too high.

i have heard the cut off is a little below 20, like 18-19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    never better. apply and im sure youll get what you covet. why not include ucl and lse in your choices?
    ohyeah, and melson, congrats on your LNAT score. hahah, saw it on your msn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    ohyeah, and melson, congrats on your LNAT score. hahah, saw it on your msn.
    haha thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Btw hello I'm from Singapore also. Anyway, w.r.t the university issue, I've interned at a Big Four firm and the consensus seems to be that Bristol is Very Good. IDK why, the rankings don't really tell you so but yeah. Warwick is comparatively newer and I guess less recognised? Also, they are in the legal profession so they're very knowledged on that. Still, you can't go wrong a LLB from Warwick, it's a very good school.

Also, Notts, Durham, Exeter, Sheffield of Manchester etc. isn't very much known in Singapore. Ultimately, if you want to become a very famous lawyer in Singapore, you would have better luck staying there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.