Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    I'm so jealous! What were his GCSEs/AS?
    Think he got about 7/8 A*s at GCSE and all As or very close to that at AS Level. His UMS was about 90% and he's applying to Oxford as well. He's clever, but he just acts like a complete idiot during school (messes about in lessons, really immature etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Yeah I'd say the same. UCL 2nd tier?
    Yup. I don't really know anything about its course - I think you can do a year in continental Europe. But a degree from UCL is a degree from UCL, definitely T2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monstercable)
    Congrats on your offer!! Just curious when you had sent your personal statement off because I've applied to Bath too
    They received it on the 25th of October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Could I know your AS and predicted grades? My GCSE's are worse I've only got 1 A* although my AS are all A's. My father had medical issues during my gcse's although I don't think it directly affected my grades. Do you think it's worth putting it into my reference? I still haven't sent mine off yet.
    Yep.

AS: AAAB - Economics, English Literature, Mathematics, Politics

Predicted: A*A*A (+a) - Economics, English Literature, Mathematics, AS Further Mathematics

+ I am predicted an A in an EPQ, Bath said they are big on EPQs. (Roughly equivalent to an AS level.)

Probably worth asking to put your GCSE problem in your reference. Also, as I was saying before, make your PS amazing and you should be fine.

I spoke to one of the lecturers on the open day about entry requirements and they asked me whether I had 3 As at AS including an A in maths, I said "yeah" and he said they'd "99% give me an offer." As he was not an admissions tutor so I took his words with a pinch of salt, but it definitely got me to apply. If that was completely true then I imagine you should be good for an offer.

I think the best thing for your reference to say is that although you don't have these sparkly 7A*s at GCSE or whatever, getting 4 As at AS is a real step up and that you are headed in the right direction.

Also, they said a "mixture of As and A*s at GCSE" would be advantageous. So a good number of As alongside will still make your GCSEs look good.

I had 3A*s and 9As, so as long as you have a good number of As alongside I imagine they will just brush over the results and get looking at the personal statement/reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jupperrs)
    Okay so take out Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE and UCL

Rank these in order:

Nottingham, York, Southampton, Exeter, Edinburgh, Leicester, Manchester, Birmingham
    I'd say from that list you gave me: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Exeter, York, Southampton, Manchester, Leicester.

Birmingham and Exeter could be either way but I'd put B'ham in front since it's a Bsc.

If I was applying for 5 Uni's from that list I'd choose in this order: Nottingham, Birmingham, York, Edinburgh, Southampton.

But that's filtering out the BA degrees and even though I rank Edinburgh highly, it's in Scotland and I think it's a 4 year degree which isn't what I'm looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say from that list you gave me: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Exeter, York, Southampton, Manchester, Leicester.

Birmingham and Exeter could be either way but I'd put B'ham in front since it's a Bsc.

If I was applying for 5 Uni's from that list I'd choose in this order: Nottingham, Birmingham, York, Edinburgh, Southampton.

But that's filtering out the BA degrees and even though I rank Edinburgh highly, it's in Scotland and I think it's a 4 year degree which isn't what I'm looking for.
    Out of interest, why do you rank B'ham higher than York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathrg26)
    Out of interest, why do you rank B'ham higher than York?

Grades wise they are similar but I find the B'ham course much more mathematical and interesting compared to York's.

ReputationRep:
    Grades wise they are similar but I find the B'ham course much more mathematical and interesting compared to York's.
    Also, Birmingham is AAA whereas York is AAB, and has a slightly better reputation among employers since it's Russel Group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robin1125)
    Also, Birmingham is AAA whereas York is AAB, and has a slightly better reputation among employers since it's Russel Group
    Both are Russell Group as far as I'm aware but I'd agree that it has a better reputation.

ReputationRep:
    3rd offer...Bristol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAF01)
    3rd offer...Bristol!
    Congrats! So jealous...my top choice. What were your grades and when did you send it may i ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcd1711)
    Congrats! So jealous...my top choice. What were your grades and when did you send it may i ask?
    Sure, had A*A*A* (already achieved) and sent off on 10th Oct,received a few mins bak! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Sure, had A*A*A* (already achieved) and sent off on 10th Oct,received a few mins bak! :woo:
    Ah well congrats, im still waiting impatiently for a reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcd1711)
    Ah well congrats, im still waiting impatiently for a reply
    Dont worry, you'll get one, plenty of time left. I was in your shoes a few mins bak

ReputationRep:
    Got my first offer! Reading for ABB. My fifth choice, but nice to have at least one offer regardless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D_Biddles)
    Got my first offer! Reading for ABB. My fifth choice, but nice to have at least one offer regardless
    Sweet dude. Where else you applying to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3rd offer...Bristol!
    Congrats! What were your other 2 offers if I may ask?

And when did you send your application off? I've sent mine on 15/10 but still waiting. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! What were your other 2 offers if I may ask?

And when did you send your application off? I've sent mine on 15/10 but still waiting. :rolleyes:
    Thank you! Well first two were from Manchester and Cardiff Sent mine off on 10/10!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Sweet dude. Where else you applying to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Two courses at Birmingham, Leeds and UEA

ReputationRep:
    1st offer: Economics (L100) Unconditional from Durham!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.