Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    No, but it's hard to justify Arsenal still being a top-team when they haven't won anything for almost a decade. Yes, they can consistenly qualify for the Champions League, but they barely ever make it past the Quarters-what is it one final and one-semi-final? in the last 15/16 years.
    Why does your mind goes straight to Arsenal then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why does your mind goes straight to Arsenal then?
    Because every Arsenal fan I know prides themself on being able to qualify for the CL every year. Didn't Wenger say that finishing 4th was like winning a trophy?

ReputationRep:
    Because every Arsenal fan I know prides themself on being able to qualify for the CL every year. Didn't Wenger say that finishing 4th was like winning a trophy?
    No he said it was a higher priority than the fa cup or capital one cup and I think most fans would rather be in the champions league than win a cup

ReputationRep:
    There's going to be a point when that's not the case anymore. Why would you prefer the dissapointment of losing in the CL every season than win the FA Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    He was pretty average last season as well. The current Vermaelen is considerably worse than the one we signed from Ajax. Again I'm probably being too harsh but I feel his injuries have really affected his game (similar to Sagna who as you probably saw against Man Utd has been pretty poor this season as well).
    Well as an outside, I thought he had been okay last season when he was fully fit and had a run of games. I always thought the Verm hype when he first signed was over the top tbh, people saying he was as good as Vidic and such. Perhaps he has suffered I just think its too early to say.

Interesting. I just went and checked how many goals we conceded when Mertesacker started last season and he conceded 20 goals from 20 games. I don't know where you got 35 goals from. Was you referring to the start of the season? That includes the horrific game at Old Trafford so that probably skews the stats (we didn't sign Mertesacker until afterwards).
    That stat I gave was after he got injured, to see how bad the Verm_Kos partnership was as bad as made out toward the end of the season. As I said, it was roughly a goal a game, so not much different.

Even then, the majority of us were saying that Mertesacker had a pretty average season and Koscielny was clearly our best defender last season. Now Mertesacker has had a season to acclimatise and learn the game here in England and has been significantly better.

The Koscielny - Mertesacker partnership has only conceded 1 goal in 9 games from open play I think. That's pretty good imo.
    Again I'm not saying Mert is a bad player, I'm not saying its a poor partnership, this started by me responding to the claim Verm_Kos cannot play together. I've at no point stated Mert is poor or they aren't doing well. I simply said, that can and have performed well, on form I believe Verm-Kos are your best partnership. I don't think they are the best at present but I try to take a view based on long term form. Valencia at United has had a terrible season, I still think he's a brilliant winger, he just had a rough patch.

I don't really remember Mertesacker being criticised that much. Are you sure it was from the bigger accounts on our thread? I will admit he was going through some poor form during December.
    I can't remember exact posts I just remember tones and trends based on my own views at the time. I'm just pointing out opinion changes, probably as it does through all thread but as a non Arsenal fan I don't react in the same way to bad or good performances, my view of him as a player hasn't really changed. I thought he was decent coming and and he's improved quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    People love talking about Arsenal too much,someone could lose a game of cricket and it could become about Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Well as an outside, I thought he had been okay last season when he was fully fit and had a run of games. I always thought the Verm hype when he first signed was over the top tbh, people saying he was as good as Vidic and such. Perhaps he has suffered I just think its too early to say.
    I think he has suffered a lot from his injuries. Lacks pace at times, doesn't make those crunching tackles he used to, seems to be out of position a lot, make quite a few individual errors.

That stat I gave was after he got injured, to see how bad the Verm_Kos partnership was as bad as made out toward the end of the season. As I said, it was roughly a goal a game, so not much different.
    Like I was saying, the difference was that Mertesacker was pretty average at the beginning of the season and was adjusting but still managed to concede only a goal a game. I was just showing how good that partnership was earlier on even though individually, Mertesacker wasn't playing very well.

Again I'm not saying Mert is a bad player, I'm not saying its a poor partnership, this started by me responding to the claim Verm_Kos cannot play together. I've at no point stated Mert is poor or they aren't doing well. I simply said, that can and have performed well, on form I believe Verm-Kos are your best partnership. I don't think they are the best at present but I try to take a view based on long term form. Valencia at United has had a terrible season, I still think he's a brilliant winger, he just had a rough patch.
    Fair enough. I disagree with it. From what I've watched, I feel a lot more comfortable with the Mertesacker-Koscielny partnership over the last two years over the Koscielny-Vermaelen partnership or the Mertesacker- Vermaelen partnership.

Maybe this is down to bad form on Vermaelen's behalf. But if he was to get back on form, I still feel that he just isn't very compatible with Koscielny and they seem out of sync.

I can't remember exact posts I just remember tones and trends based on my own views at the time. I'm just pointing out opinion changes, probably as it does through all thread but as a non Arsenal fan I don't react in the same way to bad or good performances, my view of him as a player hasn't really changed. I thought he was decent coming and and he's improved quite a bit.
    Yeah I guess you can give a more unbiased view. Just a question, how do you think Arsenal's defence is holding up? Is it title-contending worthy or do you see problems?

ReputationRep:
    Just a question, how do you think Arsenal's defence is holding up? Is it title-contending worthy or do you see problems?
    I think its more or less fine, as I said I doubted Verm would leave, based on the faith Wenger has shown in the likes of Diaby and such it would be pretty ruthless to sell someone after one bad season, especially the captain. With those three I think you are fine at CB, I suggested buying a younger player while you can afford him to learn considering their ages. Covered in goal and LB, I guess RB is the only concern, but even then its not a definite flaw. At the back I think you are fine for a title run.

ReputationRep:
    we're gonna have to kick wigan off their high horse lads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I think its more or less fine, as I said I doubted Verm would leave, based on the faith Wenger has shown in the likes of Diaby and such it would be pretty ruthless to sell someone after one bad season, especially the captain. With those three I think you are fine at CB, I suggested buying a younger player while you can afford him to learn considering their ages. Covered in goal and LB, I guess RB is the only concern, but even then its not a definite flaw. At the back I think you are fine for a title run.
    Interesting. I feel like we definitely need a new keeper for a title run. Szczesny still has a lot of mistakes in his game. He'd probably benefit from some solid competition (which has happened recently with Fabianski's short stint). We probably will sign someone like Adler though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Regarding which, I thought this blog piece by Barney Ronay in the Guardian was a pretty fun read. :cute:

:rofl: Do we have anyone with the Photoshop skills to conjure this up? :adore:
    Nice read, this comment from that article made me sad:

You don't even have to look to next season to depress yourself! Here are some stats for the 92 clubs in the Football League at the moment and their current managers, including Ferguson at United and Moyes at Everton:

- The median time a manager has been in charge of their current club is 309 days.

- By the end of the season, only 46 of the 92 clubs (50%) will have had their manager in place for at least one full season so far.

- Only 26 clubs (28%) will have had the same manager in charge for two full seasons.

- The Premier League is a comparatively safe place in that regard, with 15 managers having completed at least one full season with their current club and 9 having completed two seasons.

- 22% of managers have been in place for less than 100 days.

Shocking stuff, really.
    Can't say I'm going to enjoy this culture, I think Wenger might be the last of an era (at least in English football) where the managers are allowed longevity. Not sure what to blame, maybe the media for constantly sensationalising stories or encouraging sackings, or maybe clubs now feel that the root of their problems lie off-pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I feel like we definitely need a new keeper for a title run. Szczesny still has a lot of mistakes in his game. He'd probably benefit from some solid competition (which has happened recently with Fabianski's short stint). We probably will sign someone like Adler though.
    Interesting too. I though Szczesny was okay, I mean I didn't think he was as good as he thinks he is, but I though he was adequate for a young keeper and going to get better. Again an outside observation, last year when we were talking about him vs De Gea, there was quite a bit of controversy over who was better. I said, I thought he made one big error a game, and for the most part seemed to get away with it, unlike De Gea who the critics were waiting to do anything approaching wrong. My view on De Gea hasn't changed, I don't want competition for him I want him playing every game he can, tbh, I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper on the planet. I still think he'll be the best keeper in the world by the time he's 30. Perhaps overconfidence and underconfidence. One needs faith the other needs doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised at why Arsenal are the most popular football club on TSR. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    But we win things. So I don't care. You've finished up above us in the league twice in the last decade. Not even the best team in London.
    Chelsea are plastic. Arsenal are the eternal club of the Highbury marble halls.

Roman Abromavovich took over a club with no history, soul or present that he could 100% dictate and he succeeded. He could have done the same with Barnet(although they do have some dignity) and eventually won the lot. Must be nice being back in the Europa League though, gives Chelski a sense of their inherent position.

Still advertising general sale tickets in the standard for league games btw? I guess its hard for the ''biggest team in London'' to fill such a huge 38k stadium with your huge fan base, especially when the far right racists are not such a bug fixture any more as they were for Chelsea back in your second division days :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wonder what the wigan win means for us? hopefully they'll be too tired from the game and partying? to really have a go at us.

Also i really like courtois i think he'd be up there in the future any chance we could nick him off of chelsea??

About the 4th choice cb what happened to miguel ?? Last i heard he was doing quite well for us and is still young right?

As someone else said now moyes is gone whats the chance we can get barkley ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Wonder what the wigan win means for us? hopefully they'll be too tired from the game and partying? to really have a go at us.

Also i really like courtois i think he'd be up there in the future any chance we could nick him off of chelsea??

About the 4th choice cb what happened to miguel ?? Last i heard he was doing quite well for us and is still young right?

No chance in hell Chelsea sell him to Arsenal. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)

I wonder what's going to happen with that left-back Jermaine Meade too, I heard he slotted into our team naturally in a couple of League Cup matches this season when Gibbs was out for being injured and Santos was out for being Santos.

ReputationRep:

Come on Arsene, dont be stupid. Sign him up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Come on Arsene, dont be stupid. Sign him up!
    Would love him here. You know, with most of interest seeming to be around lewandowski, I wonder if we can nick reus :moon:

Although I don't see either of them coming here :sigh:
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Sorry boys

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.