Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GelukkigChloe)
    As a class we think the 12 markers on Psya2 could be either cognitive model of abnormality or outline and evaluate research into workplace stress, what do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I too think it might be either of those two I'm also going for biological approach to abnormality and a obedience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.A.Z.A.M)
    no it can not be an essay since its not enough to cover 12 marks however it can come up as a 6 marker, does anyone know in social influence can you get asked an essay on resisting obedience and locus of control and independent behaviour or is this something small?
    yeah this has been asked previously as a 12 marker

check the june 2011 mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    For limitations i just bought in Dodson's law which contradicts Christianson and Hubinettes study sugesting that optimum conditions for accuracy of recall is only likely to occur at medium anxiety where it reaches it's peak and then starts to deteriate after this point, decreasing validity of his study. For Bowlby i just bought in Main and Goldwyn, Zimmerman and Hazan and Shaver and brought in population validity as an issue as well determinism

ReputationRep:
    Just going to cram for unit 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micxael)
    Yep
    Omg thank you that's such a relief! I had a break down because I thought I was gonna lose the whole six marks😭

ReputationRep:
    Hi, was just doing a past paper and the question: "Discuss one or more explanations of why people resist the pressures to conform." (8)

Please could someone help, the only point I could make fully was if people had high internal locus of control. I had absolutely no idea with the evaluations as I don't seem to have been taught any, same if this question came up for obedience, i wouldn't have a clue when evaluating it. So how would you answer this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.bryan4)
    Hi, was just doing a past paper and the question: "Discuss one or more explanations of why people resist the pressures to conform." (8)

Please could someone help, the only point I could make fully was if people had high internal locus of control. I had absolutely no idea with the evaluations as I don't seem to have been taught any, same if this question came up for obedience, i wouldn't have a clue when evaluating it. So how would you answer this question?

You can criticise locus of control by saying its depended on culture those from a collectivist culture would be less inclined to have a high internal locus of control than individualistic cultures. so resistance to conforming my vary depending on culture

Other points
    Desire to be an individual -study (synder and fromlin)
    A02 - based on students, cannot be generalised, lacks populations validity ect..

Prior commitment
    Exposure to dissent

Social support - Asch variation study- with an ally the conformity rating dropped, it made the individual more confident to reject views of the majority.

A02 - lab setting ..

ReputationRep:

You mention independent behaviour.. So why people resist the pressures to conform e.g. small group size, non-conforming role model, nature of task, giving answers in private etc.

Then you'd use points such as desire to retain a sense of individuality (e.g. study from Snyder and fromkin), desire to maintain control (study from burger), time to think and find social support..

mention locus of control suggesting people with high internal locus of control are likely to resist the pressures to conform..

(Basically very similar to independent behaviour essay)

ReputationRep:
    I really hope the 12 marker is on stress.. best unit!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me how I would write CBT in a 6 mark A01 format please? Im a bit confused - I know you have REBT by Ellis?

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone help me with how benzodiazepines work so I can write about them in a01 - it's really confusing the way I've been taught neurotransmitters, chloride ions, GABA and what not!! I need a simple explanation which will still get me full marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar135)
    Please can someone help me with how benzodiazepines work so I can write about them in a01 - it's really confusing the way I've been taught neurotransmitters, chloride ions, GABA and what not!! I need a simple explanation which will still get me full marks
    All you need to know about Bz (you don't even have to know the full name) is that they are used to treat anxiety and stress, they do this by working on the neurotransmitters by increasing the activity of GABA therefore reducing the activity of serotonin. To get further marks you'd say what they'd do to the body, hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Benzodiazepines work by increasing GABA in the brain. GABA (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid) is a neurotransmitter that is released to cause relaxation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xabsx)
    All you need to know about Bz (you don't even have to know the full name) is that they are used to treat anxiety and stress, they do this by working on the neurotransmitters by increasing the activity of GABA therefore reducing the activity of serotonin. To get further marks you'd say what they'd do to the body, hope this helps
    if you don't mind will you be able to tell me what they do to the body as I would like to get maximum marks.. thank you very much for your response!

ReputationRep:

They also resist if someone else resist with them.
    They resist conformity if they are in private rather than public
    They may resist if there are more than 6 people, or less than 3 (there is a study for this but I forgot haven't started revision yet)
    They also may resist if it troubles their morals. (This one may for obedience, you'll have to double check)
    They may also resist if the answer to something is too obvious.

For the evaluation I would say research into conformity has:

Explained why people commit mindless acts such as carrying knives in a gang or devastating disasters such as the My Lei Massacre, or Nazi Germany.
    Can be used to educate individuals to not blindly conform.

Limitations
    Most research was lab based therefore it lacks external validity ect.

I can't think of much more sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marli-Ruth)
    PSYA2 question
    when the question says:

outline and evaluate research into stress related illnesses how do you know whether to talk about cardiovascular and psychiatric disorders or other research such as the Glaser and Cohen?
    In this case you would speak about Kiecolt Glaser's research. Long term study on the 26 Alzheimer carers and the short term study on the students was it?. To be honest you can speak about a lot it is an open ended question, you could speak about Marmot - Work overload etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    Anyone else going to attempt to learn all unit 2 this weekend haha
    I am lmao. I have English tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    What will the 12 marker be on psya2 my friend said the bowlbys theory of attachment was most likely to be for psya1 and she was right! She somehow managed to spot a pattern.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know the daily hassles essay or will it always be combined with life changes?

ReputationRep:
    They bind to GABA receptors in the brain neurons causing more chloride to released. this reduces the effects of adrenaline/nor-adrenaline making the person feel clamer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.