Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phate18)
    Where's this information coming from? I would actually quite like to look at that profile, the masochist that I am.
    http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/news/050-t...holarship-2016

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I wish my Faculty were this keen on publishing news (of any kind, actually). The History Faculty has very detailed information about all forms of graduate funding which has been quite helpful even for a non-historian.

And I agree, that guy is quite intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Anyone heard from their preferred colleges yet?

Been a few days since the offer but I'm still waiting on Trinity :afraid:
    I'm waiting on trinity as well. Hopefully they don't take too long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by k.anne)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, hopefully

I'm expect them to reject me but I don't really mind since I just want everything to be sorted out ASAP

ReputationRep:
    Yep, hopefully

I'm expect them to reject me but I don't really mind since I just want everything to be sorted out ASAP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Leave them some time to prepare sending about 600 rejection emails.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Leave them some time to prepare sending about 600 rejection emails.
    Haha, but there's always hope :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, hopefully

Same here, but you never know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Same here, but you never know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, although I might just faint if I get into Trinity :lol:

ReputationRep:
    "A condition of your admission is that one of the Cambridge Colleges offers you membership." What are the chances that you might end up with no offers, despite having received an offer by the institution? Surely there must have been cases where this has happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexejKir)
    Anyone applied to the MPhil in Innovation, Strategy & Organisation? Applications closed on Monday, status still on Department consideration stage.
    Hey, yes I applied to this in late November and received a conditional offer only 3 days ago. This means that they are likely still processing applications. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander I)
    "A condition of your admission is that one of the Cambridge Colleges offers you membership." What are the chances that you might end up with no offers, despite having received an offer by the institution? Surely there must have been cases where this has happened.
    A College has to accept you. I believe the University can force one to take you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balwanta)
    Hey, yes I applied to this in late November and received a conditional offer only 3 days ago. This means that they are likely still processing applications. Best of luck!
    Congrats! Great news.

Would you mind sharing your profile please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander I)
    I remember reading that if your first two choices don't accept you, and the following three algorithmic choices also reject you, then the university can force one of your preferences to take you.

However, what the algorithm seems to be doing is selecting slightly more unpopular colleges to consider you after your first and second choice. The reason I say this is because three women, including myself, on this thread have been accepted at Murray Edwards after missing out on their preferred colleges. Now there are 31 colleges.. what are the chances that we were all considered by Murray Edwards next? It could have gone to Trinity Hall or Robinson or even Kings if it were completely random!

What I feel happens is that it goes to colleges that don't receive as many applications, and as they are bound to accept your application, you won't be in a situation whereby the university has to force your first choice to accept you. I mean come on, have you ever heard anyone that was rejected from Murray Edwards?

This is just a theory, but it seems to be holding out thus far.

ReputationRep:
    Received my conditional offer a few days ago now onto the BoGS Stage!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Have you heard back from colleges yet? I guess that's the next step, although I'm just glad to have gotten an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just got rejected from Emma today. I'm kind of disappointed since I've just lost another source of funding (they do offer full MPhil scholarships). My application is going to Newnham now, so fingers crossed! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from their preferred colleges yet?

Been a few days since the offer but I'm still waiting on Trinity :afraid:
    Rejected by my first choice - Emmanuel. Now closing all the tabs with information regarding Emma. Such a sad Friday afternoon. *drama, drama*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohwello)
    Just got rejected from Emma today. I'm kind of disappointed since I've just lost another source of funding (they do offer full MPhil scholarships). My application is going to Newnham now, so fingers crossed! What about you?
    Newnham should accept you! My partner and a friend have received offers from Newnham after being rejected from their first two choices. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Rejected by my first choice - Emmanuel. Now closing all the tabs with information regarding Emma. Such a sad Friday afternoon. *drama, drama*
    I know that it must have been disappointing to hear from Emma, but do not worry! I found out that I was rejected by one of the scholarship schemes this week as well, I know how you're feeling...
    Newnham has a really good scholarship system too, so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pe94)
    I know that it must have been disappointing to hear from Emma, but do not worry! I found out that I was rejected by one of the scholarship schemes this week as well, I know how you're feeling...
    Newnham has a really good scholarship system too, so fingers crossed!
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    Newnham should accept you! My partner and a friend have received offers from Newnham after being rejected from their first two choices. Good luck!
    Thank you guys for the kind words! I was also thinking of applying for some of the Newnham scholarships but they do state they have to be your first choice (and they were my second) so I guess I'm doomed when it comes to college funding.

Pe94, my worst fear is not being able to afford going to Cambridge after all I went through. Did you apply for any other scholarships? I did apply for Gates/Trust funding, so I'm left hoping for the most competitive ones!

ReputationRep:
    Pe94, my worst fear is not being able to afford going to Cambridge after all I went through. Did you apply for any other scholarships? I did apply for Gates/Trust funding, so I'm left hoping for the most competitive ones!
    Thank you guys for the kind words! I was also thinking of applying for some of the Newnham scholarships but they do state they have to be your first choice (and they were my second) so I guess I'm doomed when it comes to college funding.Pe94, my worst fear is not being able to afford going to Cambridge after all I went through. Did you apply for any other scholarships? I did apply for Gates/Trust funding, so I'm left hoping for the most competitive ones!
    I'm an undergraduate student at Newnham atm, and the tutorial office tends to accommodate individual circumstanced pretty well - I would message them explaining your situation as soon as you get an offer and you should be able to apply for scholarships. It is not certain, but chances are pretty high from my experience Yes, I applied for all of them, Gates/Trust/Santander, and already know that I was not shortlisted for Gates (I learnt through the internal channel because I will not be in the UK when preliminary interviews are scheduled). It was a big disappointment because I worked a lot on my application with my Director of Studies and referees, but well, it is like 1-2% chance? I am still counting on the Trust and Newnham (although Newnham seems to be providing funding for living expenses only, and up to 10,000 GBP so I would still be left 24,000 GBP short for my ridiculously expensive MPhil). We will see!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.