Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Buttler is incredibly placid, in truth. Something must have been said to rile both he and Woakes, the latter of which wouldn't say boo to a goose usually.

While we're here, probably worth touching upon what an intriguing game of cricket India vs NZ is. The latter surpassed 500 and declared five wickets down, with Kohli hitting 211 and Rahane 188 as the hosts reached 557 with that duo delivering an impressive 365 run stand.

But, while those figures may suggest NZ's bowlers struggled, it actually wasn't the case. In fact, the tourists bowled incredibly well - without much assistance from the pitch, which is a cracked but quite benign surface. India picked off the runs well, though, with Kohli scoring at around 30% of his runs with boundaries. He took 115 singles and hit only 20 fours in his 211 NZ targeted Rahane extremely well, delivering short ball after short ball and roughing him up.

New Zealand's quicks were asked to bowl 67 overs between them, plus the 18 from James Neesham. They managed only two wickets, dismissing Kohli through Patel and Rahane through Boult, but they will go home happy with their efforts which made things difficult for India. The pair faced a whopping 672 balls, and had to display concentration, grit and determination - all of which they did in style. Kohli became the first Indian captain to score more than one double-century in Tests, and seems to have consigned that poor run of late to history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    First thing's first: I rate Buttler for that reaction. It's all too easy to say he should have remained calm, but captaincy obviously means the world to him, and in stifling humidity having kept all day before being given that send-off, it was human nature to react and I fully appreciate that. I don't have any issue with that at all.

I'm also really pleased we are getting a series decider. I can't wait for Chittagong now. These poor days happen every once in a while for England, but Bangladesh were fully deserving of that win today. Buttler played a lone hand, in truth, as England were bundled out for 204. Bangladesh's total was competitive, but hardly match-win[u]ning. It looked decent from minute one, but they had to follow it up with some decent bowling after England's seamers got joy out of deploying the short ball regularly.

Bangladesh stuck to their gameplan very, very well. The pitch had grip on it, but spun quite a bit, with Shakib causing problems in and around the gate with his brand of spin. He may have only got one wicket, but he definitely troubled the batsmen, before Taskin claimed three by dismissing three of England's most crucial batsmen: Bairstow, Buttler and Woakes.

I felt Woakes was the pick of the tourists; bowlers, dismissing both openers well, and Ball shone again with his use of short-of-length deliveries which caught Bangladesh's more impatient batsmen out. But Mahmudullah and Mashrafe spearheaded the hosts' innings after they were reduced to 160+ for seven, with the latter partnering well with Nasir Hossain before England started slowly and were duly punished after posting just 31 for four in the powerplay.

Mortaza did much of the damage as the upper England wilted, and you can look to Bangladesh's punchy and quick partnerships towards the latter end of the innings as to the decisive contributions. England managed a couple of decent partnerships - for the ninth and tenth wicket stand respectively - but that just delayed the inevitable, and it was no surprise to see only Buttler, Bairstow and Rashid make any decent scores.
    Depends why the reaction. As a captain he probably needs to keep his emotions more in check.

Not sure you can call it an off-day when the bowling was generally decent and then the first ODI win was more Bangladesh throwing it away.

(Original post by Aky786UK)
    The focus on the clashes between the players will overshadow what was a good game of cricket. Impressed by Bangladesh's opening bowling, which seemed to catch the opponents off guard and Mashrafe led the side well.

Must have been something stern said to Buttler to get him to react but circumstances say the home side knew what a big wicket it was and the batsman knew the game was at its end hence the reaction. The handshake incident was far more unsavoury and not helped by Stokes who, as vice captain, should have tried to calm things down and he's in a position where he could be punished under the ICC's new disciplinary rules if I'm not wrong. Bairstow can handle himself to be fair, if you give it large in the field then you will get some heat back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mortaza is a good captain it seems. At 33 and having lost his youthful pace to injuries, I've often questioned his merit in being in the side but he's shown that all his experience means he can bowl well in home conditions, can bat powerfully at times and marshals the rest of the side well too. Don't forget that Rahim and Shakib have been Bangladesh captain for long periods of time too.

Shakib opening the bowling was interesting.. Usually you would see Mortaza and Taskin to open the bowling.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...y/1061080.html

According to this Butler just didn't like the Bangladeshi reaction to his wicket falling. Not sure why Stokes made the situation worse at the end of the game.

Probably just ego bruising to lose to Bangladesh..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    NZ continue to frustrate India, with half-centuries from Martin Guptill and Tom Latham today giving them a strong start at lunch in response to India's gargantuan first-innings total.

Ashwin claimed a wicket, dismissing Latham just before lunch to end the 118-run stand, with NZ at 125-1 and trailing by 432 after the end of session one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maybe scratch that last post about NZ taking the game to India, then.

The tourists were dismissed for 299 eventually, with the home side declining to enforce the follow-on at the end of the third day of the Test as Ashwin picked up remarkable figures of 6-81. The hosts went back into bat for their second innings, reaching 18-0.

That six-wicket haul for Ashwin is his 20th five-for in Test cricket, but it made sense for India to not enforce the follow-on, instead giving their bowlers and field a well-earned rest.

Ashwin took his first four wickets either side of lunch, dismantling NZ's top order after Martin Guptill and Tom Latham added 118 for the first wicket. The wicket of Latham began a collapse during which the visiting side lost five wickets for 30 runs.

There were a couple of stands - Watling and Neesham added 53 for the sixth wicket, before the latter partnered Santner to add 52 for the seventh. But Jadeja struck to end both partnerships, as India's spinners played with NZ and deployed some good deception in the air to really trouble the tourists' batsmen.

Ashwin has five five-wicket hauls against NZ now, and he has got the scalp of Williamson three times this series.

ReputationRep:
    Ben Stokes was justified in his reaction after the game if some of the Bangladesh players refused to shake hands. Considering the England players are putting their safety at risk to go on this tour, Bangladesh should show a little courtesy. (However I am a fast-bowler with a temperament a lot like Ben Stokes)

Just booked tickets to England vs South Africa next year though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slightly gutted at the India score, knowing England have to play them soon, but at the same time that's great for them as I definitely think they are or at least should be the world number 1 test team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie419)
    Ben Stokes was justified in his reaction after the game if some of the Bangladesh players refused to shake hands. Considering the England players are putting their safety at risk to go on this tour, Bangladesh should show a little courtesy. (However I am a fast-bowler with a temperament a lot like Ben Stokes)
    Jos Buttler did seem rattled by the behaviour of the Bangladeshi team and it didn't seem like he was in the wrong, the celebrations after his wicket was excessive and a bit OTT imo and I guess something was said to bring out that response.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Jos Buttler did seem rattled by the behaviour of the Bangladeshi team and it didn't seem like he was in the wrong, the celebrations after his wicket was excessive and a bit OTT imo and I guess something was said to bring out that response.
    It depends. Jos Buttler is very talkative in the field. But is generally quiet the rest of the time. But he doesn't react like that ever, so something must have been said. Honestly it reminded me of how bad the teams acted in the world t20 and the West Indies ott celebrations.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Buttler shouldn't have reacted the way he did - but, likewise, the Bangladesh celebrations were designed to instigate a response. I have very little sympathy for the host side in this situation. We've seen familiar things in the past, too. Every nation is capable of doing things like this, and while Buttler was ill-advised to respond, it was a human reaction.

Just going back to the cricket, and I loved the battle between Ashwin and Williamson today. A real game of cat and mouse.

ReputationRep:
    I always gleaned the Buttler dismissal as more relief that they'd got rid of the captain who was fighting off their attack than anything warranting further needle in future games. It probably will though.

Meanwhile, Shahid Afridi has issued legal notice to Javed Miandad after latter claimed Boom Boom had fixed matches. Unnecessary but frankly, Afridi's insistence on a farewell game is nearing embarrassment levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bayliss says England "won't back down" - no surprises there. Bayliss, like Buttler, is a placid figure. But I guess he's got that Australian winning mentality.

We've seen a few flare-ups in the SA vs Australia series. Of course, that's to be expected with the latter so poor at losing. Wade in particular has been insufferable.

Speaking of SA, they have confirmed their squad for the forthcoming Tests against the Aussies. Shamsi and Keshav Maharaj have been included in the 16-man squad, with Piedt omitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I always gleaned the Buttler dismissal as more relief that they'd got rid of the captain who was fighting off their attack than anything warranting further needle in future games. It probably will though.

Meanwhile, Shahid Afridi has issued legal notice to Javed Miandad after latter claimed Boom Boom had fixed matches. Unnecessary but frankly, Afridi's insistence on a farewell game is nearing embarrassment levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In his latter years, Afridi has been more of a 'My Game' then 'Teams Game'. He has been out of touch and a farewell series in his form is pointless and embarrasing. He's a shadow of his former self.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Probably worth mentioning the inquest into Phil Hughes' death started today. Some horrific evidence being given, by all accounts, including Bollinger reportedly telling Hughes: "I'm going to kill you".

Sledging has been the main aspect of the first day of evidence, as well as short-bowling tactics, though Haddin says “at lunch, there was a discussion about the plan get Phil to nick the ball by moving his feet” but that the tactic was “more of a field placement change than a bowling change”.

ReputationRep:
    Sledging has gotten far too personal. In a way its not proper sledging. Players like Freddie Flintoff and Mike Gatting who did sledge the opposition but it was never threatening like that. We all remember classic sledges like Freddie's "Mind the windows Tino." That was done in good spirit as a joke, that's one aspect of the game that hasn't got better.

ReputationRep:
    Jos Butler was sledging/chatting plenty from behind the wicket. Not surprised the Bangladeshi's celebrated his dismissal considering his involvement/him being captain/his wicket pretty much was the one needed to win the game.

The game tomorrow should be interesting. Both teams have collapsed badly at one point during the series. In a new location with Chittagong so not sure what conditions will be like. Hopefully no rain though!

ReputationRep:
    Win the toss, bat first tomorrow. The conditions changed too much so it was much harder to bat later on. This is why day/night ODI's are mostly won by the team that wins the toss and its why day/night tests won't work. Especially in England, there will be far too much dew, and people who want to go and watch the match will have to take 2 days off work instead of 1. I think its a really bad idea.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And there we go, NZ are routed by India, who make quick work of things on day four to take a 3-0 lead in the series.
    They reached 216 for 3 dec, with Pujara reaching an unbeaten 101, featuring a good partnership with Gambhir, who achieved a half-century after ending day three hurt and leaving the field with question marks around his fitness.
    NZ struggled to trouble the pair early on day four, and Pujara notched up his eighth Test hundred as India ran out winners with the tourists losing nine wickets for 115 runs post-tea.
    The visitors acted quickly in the field to remove Vijay early on, and Patel caused Gambhir to fall before Kohli too, but their bowlers could not prove as troublesome as Ashwin, who achieved jaw-dropping figures of 7-59 (his best in Test cricket) and his 21st five-wicket haul and sixth ten-wicket haul. He dismissed Williamson yet again, and Jadeja chipped in with the scalps of Neesham and Guptill,
    That's four whitewashed inflicted by India in a series of three or more Tests, and they inflicted NZ's first whitewash since 2004.

ReputationRep:
    Shane Warne is absolutely cringe worthy on social media. He's like a creepy old uncle.

I also fully expect Ashwin to tear England a new one in the test series.

ReputationRep:
    England Cricket Board refuse to have a reserve day for the 3rd and deciding ODI tomorrow.

Likely to be rained off at the moment.

What a **** way the series could finish.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A real shame the weather is threatening a washout, to be honest. I don't expect we'll get much - if any - play. Having reserve days is a tradition that is being lost in the modern era, with schedules so full and jam-packed for touring sides.

All eyes on SA vs Australia for me, then, especially with India vs NZ wrapped up. Kohli has hailed the "little contributions" from his side - labelling Jadeja and Ashwin, as well as Rahane and Pujara, as crucial. He also hit back at Harbhajan Singh, who said he opposed the kind of surfaces the team has played on at home over the last 'four' years.

I wonder how Australia will deal with being faced by the prospect of a whitewash tomorrow. They have lost each match so comprehensively, and their bowling just lacks quality and experience. Their batting, too, has been woeful. Steven Smith and David Warner are the only two Australians to have scored a hundred so far.

I imagine SA will re-shuffle slightly, bringing in Dale Steyn or Kagiso Rabada, with one of Kyle Abbott or Phehlukwayo omitted, and Farhaan Behardien, Roussow and Shamsi all have fitness question marks.

ReputationRep:
    Definetly will be watching SA vs AUS. Always nice to the Aussies losing. Especially as Stev Smith comes across very arrogant. And he has a horrible batting technique that is awful to watch

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 26, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.