Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Don't diss Homerton, it gives you the opportunity of being the first person ever in your college to get a first
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Sounds like you got ~80, higher than me at least. I'm not sure what you're worried about?
    Q3/8 I am sure I drop way more marks then that :/ I thought I've got like 70.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Ahaha thanks No I always seem to do incredibly well in the easier papers (Like in STEP I mocks I always got a 1 or a 2, but in the higher grade boundary ones I got a couple S's) and incredibly badly in the harder papers. Maybe that's just down to not enough practice. Imagine my results are 3,3,1 looool.
    That would be an interesting set of results. Have you done III 2003? It was the first paper I ever did, and the easiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    Q3/8 I am sure I drop way more marks then that :/ I thought I've got like 70.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No way. What's your mark breakdown? How on earth are you cutting yourself so many marks for a small 2 mark slip in Q3?

Also, I did worse than you in Q8, so if you dropped that many marks, then I'm sitting at ~60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    That would be an interesting set of results. Have you done III 2003? It was the first paper I ever did, and the easiest.
    Yeah was one of my first too (started at 2000) but I only got a 3. I'm okay with that considering it was one of my first. Back then I never got a full solution I haven't had a sinlge full solution in the real exams yet. I usually get 2's and 3's in III so this 1 came as a shock tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Could you please estimate how many marks I would have gotten on this paper please?
    2.Full
    3. Every part but slightly poor explanation of 1 root for odd n, everything else perfect.
    4. Didn't show the second inequality and didn't find X or tan theta at the end. All else done.
    7. All complete up to last part, got the integral to be of form 1/cosx(cosx+sinx) couldn't see way from there.
    11. Did up to last part where I couldn't explain why alpha>beta

Either Q8 or Q9 depending on which has a higher mark
    8. Evaluated the first parts correctly. For the evaluations of Es I simply substituted in different values of m into 2/2m-1 that gave the correct Es so probably not correct. Then showed the error to be 1/4r^4.
    9. Did part i)

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Accurate representation of me:

A meme has never made me gag harder than this one

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone put me out of my misery?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Q1: Fully complete but I made a stupid algebra mistake, resulting in me getting the wrong number of intersections. I never found the coordinates of these intersections either (can't remember if it asked though).

Q3: Fullly correct as far as I know, maybe drop 2 marks for a crap explanations.

Q6: All bar the final part I believe.

Q7: Got up to I = some multiple of integral of 1/cos x(cos x + sin x). Unfortunately it was the wrong multiple due to an algebra mistake.

Q8: All bar the approximation of the sum of r^(-4). I also got the error as -1/(4r^4) rather than 1/(4r^4) but I am not convinced that matters.

Q5: First part only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Can anyone put me out of my misery?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Q1: Fully complete but I made a stupid algebra mistake, resulting in me getting the wrong number of intersections. I never found the coordinates of these intersections either (can't remember if it asked though).

Q3: Fullly correct as far as I know, maybe drop 2 marks for a crap explanations.

Q6: All bar the final part I believe.

Q7: Got up to I = some multiple of integral of 1/cos x(cos x + sin x). Unfortunately it was the wrong multiple due to an algebra mistake.

Q8: All bar the approximation of the sum of r^(-4). I also got the error as -1/(4r^4) rather than 1/(4r^4) but I am not convinced that matters.

Q5: First part only

17 + 18 + 12 + 16 + 15 + ? > 80 - definitely a 1. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone guess the amount of marks for the last integral in 7?

ReputationRep:
    No way. What's your mark breakdown? How on earth are you cutting yourself so many marks for a small 2 mark slip in Q3?

Also, I did worse than you in Q8, so if you dropped that many marks, then I'm sitting at ~60.
    My mark breakdown was
    Q2 16
    Q3 14
    Q4 5
    Q6 10
    Q7 18
    Q8 8
    Total: 71
    Thought last part of 3 was worth loads? And for Q2 thought that I lose 3 A1s for roots and an A1 for the factorisation (as guessing that was incorrect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    17 + 18 + 12 + 16 + 15 + ? > 80 - definitely a 1. Congratulations.
    Cheers. But that's before any 16Characters.... special stupid mistakes which I haven't realised yet :-) Best of luck with your's, and for III also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFazza)
    Can anyone guess the amount of marks for the last integral in 7?
    4 would be my guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An estimate would be greatly appreciated,

3-Full (maybe a mark or two dropped)
    4-Fine until the end, but couldnt find tan(theta) or x.
    6-All but (iv), which was started-I was thinking some kind of inductive argument?
    7-Full hopefully
    8-Only intro and a shoddily done part (i)
    9-Only part (i), probably not even worth counting
    12-All except probability for exactly one card

Funny thing is I never attempt probability, as it isn't really taught in Scotland, but I did it in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared to post my Q breakdown but I'll do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    My mark breakdown was
    Q2 16
    Q3 14
    Q4 5
    Q6 10
    Q7 18
    Q8 8
    Total: 71
    Thought last part of 3 was worth loads? And for Q2 thought that I lose 3 A1s for roots and an A1 for the factorisation (as guessing that was incorrect

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You just dropped my prediction to a ~67 with the 5 in Q4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cnoel)
    An estimate would be greatly appreciated,

3-Full (maybe a mark or two dropped)
    4-Fine until the end, but couldnt find tan(theta) or x.
    6-All but (iv), which was started-I was thinking some kind of inductive argument?
    7-Full hopefully
    8-Only intro and a shoddily done part (i)
    9-Only part (i), probably not even worth counting
    12-All except probability for exactly one card

Funny thing is I never attempt probability, as it isn't really taught in Scotland, but I did it in the exam!
    18 + 14 + 12 + 20 + 10 + ? + 15 > 85, definitely a 1.

sigh

ReputationRep:
    Q1: Got as far as getting two equations, did loads of different algebra things but never managed to eliminate p. After assuming 4y^2=3x-1 as it said in the Q, I got everything right but stupidly drew the graph with 4 intersections even though I calculated two intersections and marked on the sketch the two intersections (I know, that's impossibly stupid).

Q2: Only got up to part (ii) and couldn't get anywhere with that part. Pretty bad...

Q3: I think I got everything (but some explanations might have been dodgy I can't tell) but had the same problem as most people with the even n number of roots thing. I justified odd n well but just wrote down 0 for even n. They didn't ask for justification though so idk.

Q4: Got everything, even x and amazingly tan(theta) at the end despite doing some ridiculous stuff to get it (x was easy though) and I definitely lost at least a mark since I got a quadratic for tan(theta) and straight up rejected one of the solutions (I happened to pick the right one lol) without reason.

Q6: Like a lot of people I got everything but with the last part I put some relevant (?) algebra down with the DEs and stuff but didn't actually get anywhere.

Q7: Oh yeah this was a 20 min breeze. Full.

I think I did pretty badly, only get 1 full . Please be harsh anyway...

ReputationRep:
    18 + 14 + 12 + 20 + 10 + ? + 15 > 85, definitely a 1.

sigh
    Thanks, I'm sure you'll have done better than you think right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cnoel)
    Thanks, I'm sure you'll have done better than you think right now!
    I really haven't, but thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.