Back again! The third video in the series about Japanese culture went online today. I decided to stay with music behind the photographs, but reduced the volume quite a bit. If anyone finds it distracting I figure the solution is to freeze the video and examine the photograph at leisure in silence, then move on when ready. It’s a bit of a kludge but it would work.
The issues dealt with in the series so far are:
First video - Introduction http://vimeo.com/35059494
• The consciousness of being Japanese is part of a powerful nationalism
• The desire to conform is strongly built into the national psyche
• There is no strong class system in Japan
• Japan took the lead in the industrialisation of Asia
Second video - Society and Social Change http://vimeo.com/35520751
• Attitudes towards failure – and the Second World War
• Youth versus age – the generation gap
• The work ethic is strong
Third video - Society and Social Change http://vimeo.com/35764716
• Appearance versus reality
• Memory can beat the actual event
• Symbolism – spirits and demons
I shall be taking a short break from video making as I have other things to do in life and I find a video takes a long time to finish. I expect to get back to working on the next in the series in a few weeks time. It will continue the theme of “symbolism in the culture” as I feel that I have more to say here.
I'll post again when number four goes up.