University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    lol dw I wont be bringing a rice cooker, im way to impractical for stuff like that . Dont think we are even allowed toasted sandwich makers.
    Thought a rice cooker was for impractical people who can't cook rice without a machine.....
    My daughter's Japanese friend had a rice cooker.
    My daughter bought microwaveable vacuum-packed rice from sainsbuty's. < a model of impractical person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Other than Ireland.
    Actually, my daughter went to snowdonia last weekend with her colleagues for camping/climbing. Came home with soaking wet clothes, hiking boots, etc.
    The weather was so bad with rain and strong wind when they were climbing the mountain, they found one of their tents's metal (?) support was snapped in half when they came back to their camping site.......

She went to Brecon Beacon some years ago for DofE expedition. Came back with soaking wet and muddy clothes, tent, mat, etc......... The weather was really bad with heavy rain and strong wind, some of their groups got lost and the school staff had to call a rescue helicopter to search them.......
    The students a year above had even worse weather the previous year and one of the girls had to be air-lifted to a hospital because of hyperthermia.

I see some common pattern here..........

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Haha I've packed a decent bit but honestly it's not gotten into my head yet that I'm genuinely going :lol:

Maybe its just always been something I've kept in my head and it's taking me time to realise it's actually becoming real
    I just hope it's not all a huge disappointment XD
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    I don't think it's going to actually sink in until we arrive! And it's probably the same for everyone, a couple of people from my sixth form got in and they said exactly the same thing the other day
    I will be arriving in less than 24 hours and it still doesn't feel real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Actually, my daughter went to snowdonia last weekend with her colleagues for camping/climbing. Came home with soaking wet clothes, hiking boots, etc.
    The weather was so bad with rain and strong wind when they were climbing the mountain, they found one of their tents's metal (?) support was snapped in half.........

She went to Brecon Beacon some years ago for DofE expedition. Came back with soaking wet and muddy clothes, tent, mat, etc......... The weather was really bad with heavy rain and strong wind, some of their groups got lost and the school staff had to call a rescue helicopter to search them.......
    The previous year a similar thing happened with the students a year older. One of the girls had to be air-lifted to a hospital because of hyperthermia.

I see some common pattern here..........
    In all fairness it did absolutely chuck it down last weekend. We had to actually light the fire for the first time this winter.

Snowdonia's not too bad (at least it's populated) but the Beacons can be (in many cases literally) lethal. People are regularly rescued by helicopter and there seem to be incidents involving SAS training going very wrong on an almost regular basis. It's a brave choice of location to do a DofE expedition to be honest – and almost nobody lives actually within the Brecon Beacons themselves.

If you come to the bit in between Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons we have rather more gentle hills and probably better weather as a result though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    In all fairness it did absolutely chuck it down last weekend. We had to actually light the fire for the first time this winter.

Snowdonia's not too bad (at least it's populated) but the Beacons can be (in many cases literally) lethal. People are regularly rescued by helicopter and there seem to be incidents involving SAS training going very wrong on an almost regular basis. It's a brave choice of location to do a DofE expedition to be honest – and almost nobody lives actually within the Brecon Beacons themselves.

If you come to the bit in between Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons we have rather more gentle hills and probably better weather as a result though.
    One of the colleagues is a welsh and that was his idea to go to snowdonia 'so that people can enjoy beautiful wales.' Another colleague who's from Uruguay likes the idea a lot because he'd never been to Wales. They all confirmed wales is very wet.
    But to be fair they all seemed to have enjoyed a lot, in spite of the weather.
    On the way to the top,of snowdonia they came across a group of young people shivering with their flip-flopped feet........

Her school always does, their DofE expedition for silver and gold in Brecon Beacon. Many schools does, too.
    I know a girl's school in north London that does their DofE expedition in Amersham (terminal station of metropolitan line, London undergraound), going there and coming back on a tube........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Some colleges don't allow you to have heating appliances at all... so the best policy may be to not mention it and put it away when the kitchen/your room is being cleaned.
    love homerton lmao.
    no kettles no mini fridges nothing. ive kept my kettle anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    love homerton lmao.
    no kettles no mini fridges nothing. ive kept my kettle anyway.
    Most colleges do not allow mini-fridge.
    What about other cooking appliances like toasted sandwich maker or rice cooker?

ReputationRep:
    Most colleges do not allow mini-fridge.
    What about other cooking appliances like toasted sandwich maker or rice cooker?
    Christ's has a 1.5kw max per appliance, recommended 1.3kw. Son's coffee machine is 1.26kw...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how can I easily gain access to my Cambridge email account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lincoln123)
    how can I easily gain access to my Cambridge email account?
    https://webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/ ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I'm trying to find a way that doesn't require opening up a web page - so trying to get an app or link in outlook express or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I'm trying to find a way that doesn't require opening up a web page - so trying to get an app or link in outlook express or something like that.
    Also is my Raven login different to my Hermes one?

Has anyone downloaded the free Microsoft software or anti virus software yet?

ReputationRep:
    I use Thunderbird for mail + calendar. It's made by Mozilla, who also made Firefox. Works fine with hermes accounts.

Also is my Raven login different to my Hermes one?

Has anyone downloaded the free Microsoft software or anti virus software yet?
    No it's the same, just make sure to only write your CRS ID, not including @cam.ac.uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I use Thunderbird for mail + calendar. It's made by Mozilla, who also made Firefox. Works fine with hermes accounts.

No it's the same, just make sure to only write your CRS ID, not including @cam.ac.uk.
    Thanks for your help. 👍

ReputationRep:
    One of the colleagues is a welsh and that was his idea to go to snowdonia 'so that people can enjoy beautiful wales.' Another colleague who's from Uruguay likes the idea a lot because he'd never been to Wales. They all confirmed wales is very wet.
    But to be fair they all seemed to have enjoyed a lot, in spite of the weather.
    On the way to the top,of snowdonia they came across a group of young people shivering with their flip-flopped feet........

Her school always does, their DofE expedition for silver and gold in Brecon Beacon. Many schools does, too.
    I know a girl's school in north London that does their DofE expedition in Amersham (terminal station of metropolitan line, London undergraound), going there and coming back on a tube........
    I never completed DofE (instructor went AWOL – a long story) but the idea of travelling halfway across the country is a bit alien to me given all the people I know who did do it. I guess because I live somewhere so rural there's just no need to go and do it in a faraway bit of countryside, when you can do it in countryside close to home.

Somewhere there are instructions on how to add Hermes to Outlook, or when you get to Cam a computer officer can help you be able to view it on your phone/tablet via its inbuilt email app.

ReputationRep:
    It's all on the help pages:
    http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/email/muasettings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Christ's has a 1.5kw max per appliance, recommended 1.3kw. Son's coffee machine is 1.26kw...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He'll stil have all his allowance if he uses this and a kettle in a gyp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwissGold-C.../dp/B0056ZVVHA

ReputationRep:
    He'll stil have all his allowance if he uses this and a kettle in a gyp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwissGold-C.../dp/B0056ZVVHA
    Hmm, but not espresso... and the allowance isn't a total, it's per appliance. So really not an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Hmm, but not espresso... and the allowance isn't a total, it's per appliance. So really not an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is he taking an espresso machine?

ReputationRep:
    Is he taking an espresso machine?
    Nespresso.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-X...2QR2V32WRC4C6D

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.