Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Any Singaporeans living in Bournemouth?

ReputationRep:
    hi there!! any aeronautical engineering applicants?

i was just wondering if schools that already gave you an unconditional. will they take back your slot cause you took such a long time to firm them? but the thing is that i still dont have replies from all the unis that i've applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerw)

i was just wondering if schools that already gave you an unconditional. will they take back your slot cause you took such a long time to firm them? but the thing is that i still dont have replies from all the unis that i've applied to.
    as long as you don't have all your replies yet, you don't have to firm your uni yet! (: UCAS will inform you regarding the actual deadline you have to firm your unis by! don't worry ! haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripeboss)
    as long as you don't have all your replies yet, you don't have to firm your uni yet! (: UCAS will inform you regarding the actual deadline you have to firm your unis by! don't worry ! haha.
    okok thanks a lot. i was just worried they would give out my space if i took too long to reply them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerw)

My offers are all conditional, but after I got my fifth offer UCAS sent me an email regarding the dateline, which is in June for me So I think the same would more or less go for you as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowcupcakes)
    Btw hello I'm from Singapore also. Anyway, w.r.t the university issue, I've interned at a Big Four firm and the consensus seems to be that Bristol is Very Good. IDK why, the rankings don't really tell you so but yeah. Warwick is comparatively newer and I guess less recognised? Also, they are in the legal profession so they're very knowledged on that. Still, you can't go wrong a LLB from Warwick, it's a very good school.

Also, Notts, Durham, Exeter, Sheffield of Manchester etc. isn't very much known in Singapore. Ultimately, if you want to become a very famous lawyer in Singapore, you would have better luck staying there.
    notts is actually v well known in singapore. and there are quite a number of top lawyers from notts in singapore. i agree also that bristol is a v gd sch, but either way u cant go wrong with either bristol or notts. the only reason why one will choose one over the other must be the location and not "prestige" or "reputation" as there is little difference in this regard.

ultimately, wheter you become a 'top' lawer or not does not depend on which sch u grad but how well u perform as a pupil, as an intern, as a jnior lawyer, ur track record, ur ability to win cases, or perform top quality legal work for clients.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm in my 2nd year of National Service now and will soon have to trouble over university woes.

I've a place at NUS Law 2011 and UCL Law 2011. Which would be a better choice to take up Law at? NUS Law seems to be reputable 'enough', while UCL Law has (hearsay) lower admission standards from international applicants. Is UCL Law or NUS Law harder to get in to? It's queer having people comment on how I go to the UK to study Law because I'm not qualified to do so in NUS. & that's before they knew I also had a place at NUS Law. Judging by the local consensus on NUS Law's competitiveness, it imprints somewhat an impression UK legal education is far easier to obtain entry to, as opposed to local legal education.

I kinda took KCL out of the equation although they offered me Law there too. That's reasonable, right?

Also, I'm contemplating letting go of my UCL Law place to apply for Cambridge this year. I got rejected from Oxford last year (presumably due to my interview, which was awful I tell you. I screw'd up.). Even if I do retake my LNAT and apply to UCL in addition to Cambridge again, there's a risk I might not get into UCL, even though I did get in before. Any advice from anyone here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chibiyuki)
    Hi everyone! I'm in my 2nd year of National Service now and will soon have to trouble over university woes.

I've a place at NUS Law 2011 and UCL Law 2011. Which would be a better choice to take up Law at? NUS Law seems to be reputable 'enough', while UCL Law has (hearsay) lower admission standards from international applicants. Is UCL Law or NUS Law harder to get in to? It's queer having people comment on how I go to the UK to study Law because I'm not qualified to do so in NUS. & that's before they knew I also had a place at NUS Law. Judging by the local consensus on NUS Law's competitiveness, it imprints somewhat an impression UK legal education is far easier to obtain entry to, as opposed to local legal education.

I kinda took KCL out of the equation although they offered me Law there too. That's reasonable, right?

Also, I'm contemplating letting go of my UCL Law place to apply for Cambridge this year. I got rejected from Oxford last year (presumably due to my interview, which was awful I tell you. I screw'd up.). Even if I do retake my LNAT and apply to UCL in addition to Cambridge again, there's a risk I might not get into UCL, even though I did get in before. Any advice from anyone here?

Wow I really do see your predicament. Between NUS and UCL, I would pick UCL because of the experience of overseas education, and also because UCL truly seems to be catapulting upwards in the rankings etc. (not that it was low to begin with!).

I get what you mean about people assuming that being unable to get into NUS is the only reason one would go abroad. You have to ignore that perception, though, because those who know that such a perception is silly are probably the ones who matter anyway (employers).

I guess in the end it comes down to whether money is a problem because then NUS can be a lot more worth it, and whether you want an overseas experience.

WRT to Cambridge, I can understand it would be really tempting. I suppose the question you have to ask yourself is, would you be okay if you lost UCL as well? (Do you REALLY want to go there?) Because if they figured out/ assumed they knew what you were up to, you probably won't be kindly looked upon in the next cycle. Check with some teachers/ students who have been in this predicament of reapplying.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Anyone here with offers to do Medicine at UCL or other London medical schools come 2011 (deferred entry)? Potential UCL medic here!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone considering Durham/Exeter/Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    You mean for medicine? Mine's Newcastle rather than Durham haha (: .

Oh!! Do UK unis consider GP grades? Is there like a min. grade or something?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, I know people in Warwick with a D7 for GP doing courses that have an AAA(a) requirement.

Then again, they're doing MORSE...

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm considering Econs at either Durham, Edin or Exeter...
    Don't know whether it's a good choice or whether I should just stick to SMU.
    Regret not applying for LSE.

And nah, they don't care about GP.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how do we calculate our UCAS score for the Singapore A Levels? If we add them all up, including our H1s, our scores will easily be 600+

ReputationRep:
    Hi is there any one here who is currently studying in Warwick/going to study in Warwick?

Lol I just want to know more about that place and the halls of residence there..

ReputationRep:
    Education UK Exhibition 2010
    13 Mar, 11am - 5pm.
    Hilton Hotel.
    25 universities to be present (incl. Warwick, although it's not stated in the list.)
    More information can be found here.

Education Exhibition in Singapore
    6 Mar, 7 Mar, 11am - 5pm
    Conrad Centennial Singapore
    Imperial, LSE, UCL, KCL to be present
    More information can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who has a place in KCL going for the Offer Holders' Reception on 8th march?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Does anyone know how do we calculate our UCAS score for the Singapore A Levels? If we add them all up, including our H1s, our scores will easily be 600+
    There's a score for UCAS ?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    it apears that UK unis don't care much about that. has anyone ever seen an offer with conditions indicated in UCAS score?

ReputationRep:
    No.. just A level grades

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.