Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Mike got it too. I think it's been sent to all LSE Econ applicants. I mean I'm only 3 weeks into my 5 weeks.
    I got the UMS questionnaire before I even got the 5 weeks email (I'm in my 6th week of that now).

I emailed them for an update and they just said that they'd get back to me before 31st March 2014 so I'm just going to sit tight

ReputationRep:
    UCL and Warwick are the same. Fair play they want to differentiate applicants but I don't agree with their way of doing it. How can you judge someone's potential at University based on totally unrelated exams you took when you were 15 or 16 years old?
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Which is the reason why I dislike LSE's admissions office so much over other uni's. Their admissions system/process is way backwards. Your A level grades are amazing and would probably even get you an offer from Cambridge (I really hope so now that you do) while LSE won't even look at them because they already rejected you on the basis of your GCSE's. The improvements you have made are amazing which is something Cambridge definitely look at. Good luck for your Cambridge (and the other) applications.
    His a level grades aren't amazing in the eyes of Cambridge university. They say the average offer holder has a UMS of 90+ and surely that will hold him back, please be honest with on TSR it is great idea to say supportive things but it is not a good idea to give people false advice. But i do wish all the luck with Cambridge. There are 20 candidates per place for LSE law and that was probably why he was rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    His a level grades aren't amazing in the eyes of Cambridge university. They say the average offer holder has a UMS of 90+ and surely that will hold him back, please be honest with on TSR it is great idea to say supportive things but it is not a good idea to give people false advice. But i do wish all the luck with Cambridge. There are 20 candidates per place for LSE law and that was probably why he was rejected.
    If you compare it to his GCSE's the improvements he has made is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Mike got it too. I think it's been sent to all LSE Econ applicants. I mean I'm only 3 weeks into my 5 weeks.
    A couple of people at my school got the UMS email two weeks ago, and they applied a week and a half after I did.

ReputationRep:
    If you compare it to his GCSE's the improvements he has made is fantastic.
    that doesn't cut any ice.

ReputationRep:
    that doesn't cut any ice.
    So how come a Cambridge admissions tutor (who is also a DoS for his subject at his college) say to me that Cambridge does look at the improvements you have made over time, not just from GCSE's to AS to A2 but the exams in between, i.e. how well you did in your june exams compared to the january exams earlier and so on.

ReputationRep:
    So how come a Cambridge admissions tutor (who is also a DoS for his subject at his college) say to me that Cambridge does look at the improvements you have made over time, not just from GCSE's to AS to A2 but the exams in between, i.e. how well you did in your june exams compared to the january exams earlier and so on.
    Thats for people who got 2A* 7A 3Bs at GCSE then improved to AAAA at AS Oxford also says that but it doesn't mean you can get in there with worse grades than the average candidate, except for if you could confiscate with it in entrance exams or interviews. Think about it , if that was possible i'd deliberately get Cs and Ds at GCSE then improve to Bs at AS ,it's be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Thats for people who got 2A* 7A 3Bs at GCSE then improved to AAAA at AS Oxford also says that but it doesn't mean you can get in there with worse grades than the average candidate, except for if you could confiscate with it in entrance exams or interviews. Think about it , if that was possible i'd deliberately get Cs and Ds at GCSE then improve to Bs at AS ,it's be much easier.
    Cambridge openly say that they know people reach academic peaks at different times.. As a person with a Cambridge interview coming up and only B's and C's at GCSE (Predicted A's and A*'s - No ECF submitted out of pride) AND being a mature student I can honestly say I wasn't exactly optimistic about applying until I spoke to them and asked about a bunch of things.
    However, they've even told people it's not uncommon for people with 'below average GCSE's to get offered places'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2A*'s and an A at A levels is around the average for Cambridge. Yes the person needs to to do well in admissions exams, but he is probably up for it too, However the way LSE treated him is as if they only accept students with a perfect academic record (which even Cambridge don't do). And also that the area which you come from is also affected, getting A*A*A at a school which is at the bottom half of all the schools is much better than getting the same grade at a top grammar school. and with regards to deliberately getting low grades at gcse's and high grades at level, it is not possible to cheat the system and no candidate ever thinks of cheating the system anyway's to give them an advantage. To think of that when you are 14 or 15 is just silly and a lot of things could go wrong. I.e. you messing up you a levels which means you have almost no chance of going to cambridge at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    They'll reject you for one and only consider you for one course, since they're in the same department. It's mentioned on their website somewhere.
    I've read their website, up, down, inside, and backwards. what they actually say is that they'll only accept you to one course. I don't know if that translates to we'll only consider you for one course. which is why I'm wondering what other people have experienced. besides, how would they know what course to consider you for? choose arbitrarily? and if you don't make it to IR and history, just throw you away without considering you for the larger IR course? seems rather retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Any post A-level applicants?

ReputationRep:
    @Those above

I've asked LSE and they said they'd consider you for multiple courses but they'd only give you an offer for one course (whatever they think suits you the most/least competitive).

Also, what do L101 applicants think of the importance of UMS and how it would be calculated? I'm thinking a top-3 sort of ranking with high emphasis on maths/FM scores. I guess this makes predicted grades kinda redundant since they admissions staff can make their own judgements on applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Any post A-level applicants?
    Yep, for Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionsQ)
    Yep, for Law.
    Any word yet? What're your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Any word yet? What're your grades?
    Nope, no word yet. My 5 weeks ends tomorrow, but I don't see any Law offers here (bar one or two international offers extremely early on). I'm getting quite nervous nevertheless.

GCSE: 9A*s 1A
    AS: A A A A
    A2: A* A* A* + A* EPQ - in Maths, Physics and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard anything from the management department? (I'm still waiting for the 5 weeks to be over)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    @Those above

I've asked LSE and they said they'd consider you for multiple courses but they'd only give you an offer for one course (whatever they think suits you the most/least competitive).

Also, what do L101 applicants think of the importance of UMS and how it would be calculated? I'm thinking a top-3 sort of ranking with high emphasis on maths/FM scores. I guess this makes predicted grades kinda redundant since they admissions staff can make their own judgements on applicants.
    I have a feeling that they will emphasise on maths and further maths scores as well, but if you have taken economics then surely that has to be included. I hope it is anyways lol otherwise my average is going way down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionsQ)
    Nope, no word yet. My 5 weeks ends tomorrow, but I don't see any Law offers here (bar one or two international offers extremely early on). I'm getting quite nervous nevertheless.

GCSE: 9A*s 1A
    AS: A A A A
    A2: A* A* A* + A* EPQ - in Maths, Physics and Economics.
    You've sound grades so I can't see how you wouldn't get offers. All the best with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    You've sound grades so I can't see how you wouldn't get offers. All the best with it.
    Ahah, thanks, I guess we'll see what happens. It's all a bit of a lottery though. You've got fantastic grades too (I've seen you around) - so I'm sure you'll be receiving an offer from LSE at some point in the future.

Best of luck with everything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.