Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Just watch, as soon as Khedira signs for another team he'll suddenly be a great player. :lol: Pathetic bias really.
    He's just won the CL and the World Cup.

Jealous much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Nah was never a huge fan of Sagna. Attacking wise could have offered more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attacking wise Sagna did well last season. He was very good with his crossing. Plus I was looking at it from a financial point of view, it makes more sense to keep Sagna and have Callum Chambers as the long term RB.

It was Sagna's time to leave really.
    It makes no sense to pay so much for Debuchy personally when he's only going to offer a few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Attacking wise Sagna did well last season. He was very good with his crossing. Plus I was looking at it from a financial point of view, it makes more sense to keep Sagna and have Callum Chambers as the long term RB.

It makes no sense to pay so much for Debuchy personally when he's only going to offer a few years
    Debuchy isn't demanding £130k a week like Sagna though. Probably on £60k max.

I don't think the club were expecting to pay as much as they did for him, but it had to be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

French first choice. An English RB equivalent would have cost significantly more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, a lot of it is also about the principle. We don't negotiate with people who take the piss.

ReputationRep:

I don't think the club were expecting to pay as much as they did for him, but it had to be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I made an argument for giving Sagna what he wanted a while back. I hope you realise giving Sagna what he wanted would have been cheaper than signing Debuchy + wages. I think Debuchy stats were slightly skewed considering as Newcastle were on the back foot for most of the second half of last season

Let's see what Debuchy does in a Arsenal shirt first. If he can provide the same defensive competence as Sanga with more attacking thrust I have no complaints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I made an argument for giving Sagna what he wanted a while back. I hope you realise giving Sagna what he wanted would have been cheaper than signing Debuchy + wages. I think Debuchy stats were slightly skewed considering as Newcastle were on the back foot for most of the second half of last season

Let's see what Debuchy does in a Arsenal shirt first. If he can provide the same defensive competence as Sanga with more attacking thrust I have no complaints.
    I agree, it would have worked out cheaper & Sagna was settled in too.

I think the reason why we didn't offer him a newer contract is because he's turning 32 in feb, so would only offer us a year.. Maybe two at his best.

Debuchy just turned 28, and is already of similar calibre to Sagna, so really.. It makes more sense to go for him.

Maybe we could have given Sagna a 12 month contract with his wage demands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)

Sagna is 31(?) now, he wanted a 3 year deal at £130k. There is no guarantee that he will stay at his current ability. Say we gave that to him and he plummeted in terms of his ability, everyone would have been *****ing about us giving him £130k a week for 3 more years and why didn't we get so and so. It's quite easy to make arguments for and against signing him up for a new deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Did he bribe Lowe to start in Brazil then?
    Well, actually, you'd think both the Bender twins and definitely Gundogan would have started ahead of him were it not for injuries. In any case starting for Germany doesn't make him top quality. Howedes started as their left back and he's not even a top quality in his preferred position. Although this debate will no doubt degenerate into semantics about 'top quality'. Khedira has his role, his uses, and is an all round good player, but I wouldn't call him top quality.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's quite sad how Sagna's obviously gone to City for the wages, because there's no way he'll displace Zabaleta. They've just spent £30m on a CB as well so it's not like he'll be getting regular games either.

ReputationRep:
    Calum Chambers is officially Arsenal Player, even Lineker has confirmed it himself on his Twitter account. So excited ****ing hell 4 signings before August.

ReputationRep:
    French first choice. An English RB equivalent would have cost significantly more.
    Yes, but there's other players to be bought if you'd looked around better and not be lazy. Take e.g. Azpilicueta. Or try for Montoya/Aurier/Coleman who are younger and/or better than Debuchy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but it's cheaper having Sagna on that contract. I guess he got greedy, City are more likely to win things than Arsenal while Sagna can still play as well even if it means less gametime. Arsenal have a young squad which needs a little more experience while City have been there and done that, only lacking in europe atm which they'll improve sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but there's other players to be bought if you'd looked around better and not be lazy. Take e.g. Azpilicueta. Or try for Montoya/Aurier/Coleman who are younger and/or better than Debuchy.

Yes but it's cheaper having Sagna on that contract. I guess he got greedy, City are more likely to win things than Arsenal while Sagna can still play as well even if it means less gametime. Arsenal have a young squad which needs a little more experience while City have been there and done that, only lacking in europe atm which they'll improve sooner or later.
    We were linked to Aurier and Coleman, well.. Probably via the media but I'm sure Wenger was aware of the two. Debuchy is French so, there's that & he has prem league experience. I think it's almost a like for like, except Debuchy isn't as disciplined as Sagna is, and Sagna obviously had the edge over him last season.

I wouldn't say Debuchy is better than Sagna, not yet anyway. He started infront of him for France probably because of tactical reasons. Having said that though, he just turned 28 & Sagna is turning 32 in feb.. The most Sagna would have been able to offer was a season, maybe two max. You have to remember he's pretty injury prone too.

It's a gamble with Debuchy - it could go reeeeaaally well or it could be peak for the first season (but that's the case with all signings), nonetheless.. It'll give Chambers and/or Jenko an opportunity to learn & improve. Debuchy still has around 4 years in him I think.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose you'd have to say that Alex Oxlade Chamberlain had achieved less when we paid a similar amount for him to Chambers and he turned out to be a smashing bit of business. And that Chambers is probably a few months away from being quoted in the Luke Shaw price range.

Just read that he played CB for the England u-19s mainly and looked the business so I like the sound of that. Seems like a good lad, if he doesnt make it then I doubt it'll be because he didnt work hard enough at it

(Original post by SHOO)
    We were linked to Aurier and Coleman, well.. Probably via the media but I'm sure Wenger was aware of the two. Debuchy is French so, there's that & he has prem league experience. I think it's almost a like for like, except Debuchy isn't as disciplined as Sagna is, and Sagna obviously had the edge over him last season.

I wouldn't say Debuchy is better than Sagna, not yet anyway. He started infront of him for France probably because of tactical reasons. Having said that though, he just turned 28 & Sagna is turning 32 in feb.. The most Sagna would have been able to offer was a season, maybe two max. You have to remember he's pretty injury prone too.

It's a gamble with Debuchy - it could go reeeeaaally well or it could be peak for the first season (but that's the case with all signings), nonetheless.. It'll give Chambers and/or Jenko an opportunity to learn & improve. Debuchy still has around 4 years in him I think.

Debuchy is solid enough and will actually provide a threat down the RW for us, but he also will cost us a few goals compared with Sagna.

Just think that for £10m we really could have done a bit better than a 29 year old who is only ever going to be decent. On the plus side it shows Wenger wants to have a go at the title here and now and I cant complain about that.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    What a summer so far, Calum Chambers officially confirmed then, really happy with him. I particularly remember his performance during our 2-2 draw with Southampton, yeah its easy to say that now but it's true. A DM's all that's desperately needed.

ReputationRep:
    Chambers confirmed, undisclosed fee.

Meanwhile, SSN are saying we've accepted a £3m bid from Hull for Jenkinson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard Head)
    Well, actually, you'd think both the Bender twins and definitely Gundogan would have started ahead of him were it not for injuries. In any case starting for Germany doesn't make him top quality. Howedes started as their left back and he's not even a top quality in his preferred position. Although this debate will no doubt degenerate into semantics about 'top quality'. Khedira has his role, his uses, and is an all round good player, but I wouldn't call him top quality.
    This essentially.

Khedira to me is a good player for most teams but calling him top quality is over the top.

Tbh that German team was the best out of a bad bunch, it wasn't that great, especially with all those injuries. Kramer started in the final for goodness sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Suppose you'd have to say that Alex Oxlade Chamberlain had achieved less when we paid a similar amount for him to Chambers and he turned out to be a smashing bit of business. And that Chambers is probably a few months away from being quoted in the Luke Shaw price range.

Just read that he played CB for the England u-19s mainly and looked the business so I like the sound of that. Seems like a good lad, if he doesnt make it then I doubt it'll be because he didnt work hard enough at it
    And his height. His heigh offers a lot too! Apart from merta, we don't really have a tall defence so we should improve on the set-piece front too

ReputationRep:

City have been splashing out on squad depth for years and years with virtually unlimited bankroll backed by oil blokes in dishdasha. Unfair squad comparison.

As for the RB situation, we got a younger player in Chambers to cover that role. We decided we wanted two players bought there evidently because they don't feel Jenkinson is good enough long term. Coleman signed a new deal with Everton because he likes it there, we offered him £60k a week but he wanted to stay at Everton because he likes it there.
    Aurier, Wenger obviously thought Debuchy was the better option. We were in advanced talks with him and he was even wearing an Arsenal shirt....
    Montoya... not sure if srs, he is not so good.
    So if that is lazy then yeah... we spent quite a bit of money but Wenger obviously felt Debuchy and Chambers were the best choices from all those we considered and could get.

ReputationRep:
    Chambers confirmed, undisclosed fee.

Meanwhile, SSN are saying we've accepted a £3m bid from Hull for Jenkinson.

LOOOL - that picture is so peak

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.