Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Yeah great job by Marshall, really showing that you don't have to commit OPI to run a pick play. He ran his route physically to get where he has a right to be, and turned back for the ball, relying on the play design to get the rub rather than intentionally colliding with anyone. The trouble comes when teams try to execute that kind of play when they don't have quite the correct look.

The way Revis just leans on people to run them out of bounds while matching them at full speed down the field and keeping control of his body is so ****ing godlike. I think it was Dez's first target he did that perfectly. Usually with sports there's sort of an illusion of "I could do that" because with the TV angles you're so far removed from their athleticism compared to your own. Every time I watch Revis I just think "I would 100% fall over the second I tried that."

Haha, I flagged at around 4am, watched the last 5 minutes this morning. Really good game. I think the announcers were pretty forgiving of Kellen Moore though, which I understand since it was his first half. 3 picks in 3 quarters, all of which were very clearly his fault. They thought forcing it to Dez in triple coverage was the right decision, but there was definitely enough time to throw it to someone else there.
    I don't think any of those picks happen if Cassel didn't dig such a hole in the first two drives. The first pick, was a panic. The last one was a misguided decision, but, in such a situation, a QB will always look for his playmaker. Regardless, he showed much more than any of the other backups did. Casell should be out of the league for good by the end of the week to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like I've watched the film or anything, but I would 100% take Keenum or Austin Davis over Moore based on what I saw. And yeah Cassel was awful.

ReputationRep:
    Luke Joeckel. The only positive is that he's not Eric Fischer. And now the run stopper D is getting gashed by the Falcons, who haven't had an offense for 6 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god.

A great first half against a good team.

And then, this.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.

Where to begin. How can I begin? The first half was great, but the Broncos benefited from blown coverages in the secondary. The Steelers made their adjustments, and the Broncos did not, coming out for the second half. The o-line was poor, in that it couldn't open up the lanes, and drive after drive was stalled with stupid holding penalties. Disicipline is such a key part of an o-line, and even experienced veterans such as Vasquez were penalised.

Hillman isn't the answer, and I really think the Broncos will have to address running back in the draft. CJ Anderson, when healthy, looks the better bet, as a scheme fit, because he can run it up the middle. I will never understand, why Hillman was ran on a sweep that went nowhere, at the one, in a jumbo package. That calls for a QB sneak on a hard count, or CJ Anderson up the gut.

Of course, a lot of this is on the line. Who comes back? Paradis has done enough to come back. Ryan Harris has shown enough to be considered at least as a serviceable backup on practically vet minimum contract, but he may see himself as something more, and try to push for more money elsewhere. Clady coming back depends on his health, and his big contract, with Von Miller needing to be resigned, could mean that he has to significantly restructure his contract, or even suffer as a cap-casualty.

Am I convinced by Brock Osweiler? He has to do more to move the offense. That much is a given. He has to use his legs to open up the running lanes, but I think this could be on some real conservative game-plan for him. It seems like Kubiak doesn't trust, or isn't willing to trust him with the keys to the offense to be able to do it. It's a moot point right now, since Peyton hasn't been healthy, but if he's 'healthy' enough to outplay Osweiler, and make all the throws, and go through his progressions, then it could work. I don't see him coming back until week 17 at the earliest though. Difficult injury to come back from. All being said though, I'd be happy to turn it over to Brock, but it means a full commitment to running the Kubiak offense as designed, with Osweiler being trusted to put the ball in tough situations, and air it out more. There needs to be more bootlegs and moving pocket concepts that utilise his arm talent. Emmanuel Sanders is as fast as any in the league, but this offense needs a deep threat, or rather the threat of passing deep, to keep defenses honest, and boxes light against the running backs. D.T. needs to get his head checked or something. He's a mere shadow of himself, dropping everything. Completely unacceptable for someone who has deservedly got his big contract, based on years of great play.

This game completely proved that 1. Wade Phillips and all of his defensive staff need to be retained. 2. Broncos defense, despite being gassed, generally played a very good game. 3. The pass rush held up, but it wasn't getting home. Shane Ray is needed in a big way, not. 4. John Elway needs to do everything it takes to resign Von Miller, Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan and Brandon Marshall. Peyton would have to be cut, or retire, to help facilitate this, because with each steller defensive performance, their respective contracts are going to go up. 5. Antonio Brown is the best receiver in the NFL, hands down.* 6. Not an excuse, but this team's depth is being really challenged. There was not enough out of the safety position and it showed. A banged up second stringer and a guy off the street. 7. Despite how great the defense has been, though, some of the tackling and discipline was awful. Missed tackles lose gains, turned one-yard losses into 6 yard gains.

*. Yes, I know I've not exactly given Antonio Brown his due, with my suggestions that Julio Jones and OBJ are at least in the conversation with him as best receiver. Yeah. There's no conversation anymore.

Also, am I missing something, here,? If the Broncos drop the next two games (vs. Cinci, @ SD) -- very possible unfortunately, Chiefs win out, and the Jets lose against the Pats, but beat the Bills -- all very possible, if Pittsburgh win out the Broncos would lose out on the AFC playoffs at 10-6. (Not that such a record would deserve playoffs, considering all six losses came in AFC play, including three in the division, and two with the AFC North.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I am hoping OBJ is suspended after he was somehow managed to avoid an ejection for all the crap he pulled off in the game.

Meanwhile man we suck. 4-12 here we come.

ReputationRep:
    Midweek check in to say that the Pro Bowl is bull****. How can you not have Reshad Jones, Lavonte David, Allen Robinson and either Delanie Walker or Gary Barnidge?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Midweek check in to say that the Pro Bowl is bull****. How can you not have Reshad Jones, Lavonte David, Allen Robinson and either Delanie Walker or Gary Barnidge?!
    To be honest, I think it's less bull**** than usual, feel like the list of people who obviously don't deserve to be there extends to double figures. Agree with every case you listed though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunter7634)
    To be honest, I think it's less bull**** than usual, feel like the list of people who obviously don't deserve to be there extends to double figures. Agree with every case you listed though.
    As a Jags guy I probably paid it less attention last year although I do recall being rather confused once again. We pushed for Senderrick Marks and Telvin Smith because those two were our best guys . This year AR15 should have been a lock though, you could sort of see by his fantasy start % that he was a bit under the radar but #1 Recieving TDs, Top 20 in yards, #1 in Plays over 20 yards, he's put together a highlight reel this season and to only make 1st reserve shows everything wrong with the Pro Bowl.

I haven't fully scouted the rosters but people who don't deserve to be there are Kam Chancellor, Calvin Johnson, Shady McCoy, Aaron Rodgers and Travis Kelce are all locks in that department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Linval Joseph should be in there best dt against the run this year

ReputationRep:
    Pro Bowl is always BS and yeah, there are some players there who just completely disappeared (or even held out) for significant parts of the season.

With Rodgers I can sort of see why he's there, just because I watched him a decent amount and he really was 100% of the offense on a team that will make the playoffs. It seemed like every play call was to take the snap, run around while someone gets close to open, then throw that player open with a throw only one person can make (which Davante Adams will drop 40% of the time anyway). These comparisons might seem silly but I think if you plug Brady into that offense I don't see how they even come close to .500. Plug in Peyton Manning and they are winless, you can quote me on that.

So you have Brady, Palmer, Wilson, Newton and Big Ben already going.. Other than those guys, if you name a QB than Rodgers, I'll tell you what Green Bay's record would have been if that guy played for them. Not saying Rodgers is a lock, but I can't see who the 6th QB is really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that upset that Rodgers got in as QB6, but Drew Brees still makes a great case for the Pro-bowl. He's just buried on a terrible team, with a useless line, and a terrible defense. 371 completions on 549 attempts, good for a 67.6 completion percentage. Averaging 318.1 yards per game. 8 300 yard games in 13 starts; 28 TDs to 11 INTs. Another TD on the ground and two lost fumbles. 10 4,000 yard seasons in a row. Dree Brees is basically the same QB he has been for the last five years.

I am more annoyed that Linval Joseph, Anthony Barr, Brandon M. Marshall, Allen Robinson, Chris Ivory, Harrison Smith, Reshad Jones and Gary Barnidge didn't make it in. You could even make cases for about a dozen other players as well.

Eh. At least all-pro voting usually rights these wrongs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and I think you can say the same about Rivers as you did about Brees, so obviously I wouldn't be mad if Rodgers hadn't made it. And if Dalton were healthy he'd probably be ahead of all of them. Haven't paid enough attention to the interior linemen and defenders but definitely agree about Ivory and Barnidge.

Sucks that so many bonuses depend on pro bowl voting which is terrible but oh well.

Merry Christmas guys :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas to you too pal, and everyone else. Early little present with 25 points from my RBs. Now I just need to decide whether I risk brees.

ReputationRep:
    Big game tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Now, for some Boxing Day football. It is a big one, which will decide the NFC East.

Yeah and I think you can say the same about Rivers as you did about Brees, so obviously I wouldn't be mad if Rodgers hadn't made it. And if Dalton were healthy he'd probably be ahead of all of them. Haven't paid enough attention to the interior linemen and defenders but definitely agree about Ivory and Barnidge.

Sucks that so many bonuses depend on pro bowl voting which is terrible but oh well.

Merry Christmas guys :yy:
    Wait...Rivers didn't get into Pro Bowl? He should have certainly been in. At least Drew had some sort of running game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Wait...Rivers didn't get into Pro Bowl? He should have certainly been in. At least Drew had some sort of running game.
    It's just really hard to go when you're the QB of a team with a terrible record no matter how little help you're getting.

ReputationRep:
    It's just really hard to go when you're the QB of a team with a terrible record no matter how little help you're getting.
    Ultimately, yeah, it's all about the wins.

If I may draw upon another baseball analogy,there's been a movement away from the traditional W/L metric which have usually decided the Cy Young award. For example, In 2010, Félix Hernández got a Cy Young in spite of a modest 13-12 win/loss record, because of his excellent earned run average, and fielding independent metrics. Even poor Shelby Miller of the hopeless Atlanta Braves (I still cry everytime) got credit for an excellent season, with career low earned run averages, despite going 6-17 due to a lack of run support. He had something like 24 straight no-win games, and he was pitching pretty much every inning without any guys scoring.

I know that's kind of off topic, but maybe something could happen in football.

Yes, the parallel doesn't quite work because 'Clutchness' is a thing, and if a team loses, it's often interpreted as a failure of the QB to move the offense, however good or bad other parts of the team may have been in the game or in the season. This is the thing though. If Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees don't have a perfect game, their team can't win any games. They make their respective teams a threat in every game they play because of how good they are.

ReputationRep:
    Kirk Cousins just seriously **** the bed.

ReputationRep:
    Kirk Cousins just seriously **** the bed.
    He took a knee and then spiked the ball, with six seconds remaining in the half and in field goal range.

That was just painful.

Other than that, he played a good game.The Redskins' stout rush defense, and capable pass attack makes them a dangerous unit. I think it's not an exaggeration to say that the Redskins have the best offense of the NFC playoff hopefuls.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.