Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Few people talking out the skills test.. I passed my Lit on Saturday just gone. I was really worried about it but I read in another forum that they don't take marks away for wrong punctuation! So I ammened about 25 things in the punctutaion section rather than the 15 they ask for! If you get full marks on the spelling and punctuation then you have already passed the test! You can then pick up some easy marks in the other 2 sections! Thinking this way about it really helped me to pass as I just hammered my spelling revision!

I have an interview for PGCE Art & Design at Manchester Met, does anyone have any tips or advice on this? Or any questions that you got asked for me please?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfishgirl)
    I think I'll get that, thanks for the recommendation. Good luck for yours!
    It takes a bit of getting used to, you have to write on paper rather than typing out your answers etc but its really helped me to get a feel for the official practice tests.

The official practice tests also have a 'Help Me' button that can guide you through the workings out. I've taken a test and then done that for the questions I got wrong to see how to do it.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's been 10 days since I applied. Nothing from then!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview next week for Pgce Primary Ed, i have been told .. 'You need to bring an object that will 'hook' a group of children into a topic and be able to explain your choice for foundarion to keystage 1 children.' My mind is completely blank. I was thinking maybe a book? As story books are a fantastic gateway to learning and inspiring the imagination. From storybook, you can inspire art, number problems, based around the book, recreate stories, create role play, have circle time about the events in the book/feeling characters may have feeled. Can someone tell me if Im on the right track please, Ideas are welcomed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niyo123)
    It's been 10 days since I applied. Nothing from then!
    Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I just sent my application off - Hooray!

Does anyone know how long it takes for UCAS to 'process' my application?

Im really happy as I can definitely do my literacy skills test on the 3rd of December

ReputationRep:
    Also, how long did it take for people to get a response form the universities that you applied to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmariaxus)
    I have an interview next week for Pgce Primary Ed, i have been told .. 'You need to bring an object that will 'hook' a group of children into a topic and be able to explain your choice for foundarion to keystage 1 children.' My mind is completely blank. I was thinking maybe a book? As story books are a fantastic gateway to learning and inspiring the imagination. From storybook, you can inspire art, number problems, based around the book, recreate stories, create role play, have circle time about the events in the book/feeling characters may have feeled. Can someone tell me if Im on the right track please, Ideas are welcomed!
    I would probably go for something more sensory.. But you have a good justification for your choice so if you're happy with it, go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjla94)
    Where did you apply?
    Reading Uni for secondary Maths.

ReputationRep:

Im really happy as I can definitely do my literacy skills test on the 3rd of December
    UCAS processed my application within that day, I think I got references in for about lunch time, and got a text from one of the unviersities I applied to the next morning saying thanks for applying! So they are quick at the turn around!

ReputationRep:
    Also, how long did it take for people to get a response form the universities that you applied to
    This really depends on the university itself!
    I applied to Roehampton, Kingston and a Schools Direct programme...
    Roehampton replied within a day of getting my application, Kingston took 3 days I think, and the Schools Direct programme took 2 weeks to reply with an offer of an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmariaxus)
    The whole idea of this task is to show that you can get across your point of view within the short period of time they give you, and in front of a group of people... if you feel that you can do that with a book (I like your justification!) then that is the perfect option for you... if I were you when choosing a book then I would look on the list of 50 books you're supposed to be able to read by the age group you're hoping to teach, and choose a book from there, so that when they ask you to justify your choice of book, you will know what to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MandaTreb)
    UCAS processed my application within that day, I think I got references in for about lunch time, and got a text from one of the unviersities I applied to the next morning saying thanks for applying! So they are quick at the turn around!
    Thank you for the reply! Just apprehensive about the whole interview - if I even get any! I just want to get all my interviews done before the end of the year, but considering it's nearing towards the end of the year... I think it's wishful thinking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MandaTreb)
    This really depends on the university itself!
    I applied to Roehampton, Kingston and a Schools Direct programme...
    Roehampton replied within a day of getting my application, Kingston took 3 days I think, and the Schools Direct programme took 2 weeks to reply with an offer of an interview.
    Thank you for the reply. I also applied for Roehampton, so hopefully I'll get responses soon

ReputationRep:
    So scary! I have my interview for Southampton for the primary pgce. It is next tuesday!! I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation on a current educational issue of my choice. I have chosen the removal of levels. I may just take a piece of paper with bullet points as need to make sure I dont read from the paper- it states you will be penalised!! Anyone else had to do a presentation? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    It's in my top two. I'm also applying to Cambridge and the course leader there is involved in everything related to teaching my subject that I've come across so at the moment I do prefer Cambridge but I'd be over the moon to go to either. Plus London's transport is amazing compared to the country bumpkin 'maybe 1 an hour if you're lucky' situation I'm used to!
    Aaaah, I love Cambridge I would have applied there if I had a degree in maths but, unfortunately, my degree is less than 50% maths so I wouldn't stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodiek28)
    So scary! I have my interview for Southampton for the primary pgce. It is next tuesday!! I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation on a current educational issue of my choice. I have chosen the removal of levels. I may just take a piece of paper with bullet points as need to make sure I dont read from the paper- it states you will be penalised!! Anyone else had to do a presentation? Any tips?
    I had to do a 10 min presentation but mine was more practical than yours. I was allowed to use PowerPoint though. I kept it simple (really didn't want to get lost in the middle of a huge complex sentence) and I tried not to read from the board at all.

ReputationRep:
    Pushed back my scholarship interview day until after Jan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *tango*)
    I had to do a 10 min presentation but mine was more practical than yours. I was allowed to use PowerPoint though. I kept it simple (really didn't want to get lost in the middle of a huge complex sentence) and I tried not to read from the board at all.
    Thanks, I think I will take bullet points so I dont miss any key points then elaborate on them so I can engage with my group. We aren't allowed to use power point or anything x

ReputationRep:

Mine was processed within 30 minutes.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.