5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Do you think I stand a chance?
    As has been mentioned numerous times heer already, its not 'what I've done' that will get you an interview, its how you reflect on, comment on, explain the relevance of what you saw etc in your personal statement that actually matters - they are looking for mature reflection not a shopping list of placements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolesterStallone)
    Year 11 I took 5 A's in GCSE's, and I'm currently taking bio and physics Al's, I have no work experience whatsoever, I'm afraid ill have nothing to write in my personal statement.
    Then you need to find some pretty quickly.

Advice in the Medicine Wiki here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolesterStallone)
    Year 11 I took 5 A's in GCSE's, and I'm currently taking bio and physics Al's, I have no work experience whatsoever, I'm afraid ill have nothing to write in my personal statement.
    If ur in yr 12 there's still time to volunteer after skl and u can still go for placements or lectures over half terms or weekends or during the summer so there's really nothing to worry about but start looking now before it's too late. Gd luck☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Really? Your parents wouldn't allow you to go far away for uni? My parents aren't too pleased about me going far for uni but they said it's my choice. Yeah exactly no debt for you.
    4/5 attempts? Wow, you're really dedicated. If I get AAB then I'll take a gap year and resit, I know Lancaster accepts resits without mitigating circumstances. I'd also probs just apply to another course, I don't think grad entry medicine is worth it because I'll have to pay for it myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By "pay for it yourself" do you mean the maintenance fee or the tuition fee or both??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Do you think I stand a chance?
    Gcse: 1A*, 3A, 5B
    As: Chemistry, Biology, maths (studying this year - I find chemsitry really difficult compared to GCSE)

Work experience:
    3 Hospitals (already booked)
    1 for pathology (I'm interested in the biomedical parts of medicine), 1 for Cardiology, 1 for nurse - general surgery.

Volunteering
    Mental hospital (for 2/3 hours a week)
    Charity shop (2 hours)
    Care home (4 hours a week)

Also planing on doing DofE and St John's ambulance

Extracurricular:
    Medsociety
    Prefect
    Reading
    Blogging

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you have a very gd chance if u apply to uni's that aren't gcse heavy. Gd luck:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does anyone want to join this tsr social group?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=3725

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of IMU Malaysia? They have partner program which is 2.5 years in malaysia and then you transfer to UK/Ireland/Canada/Australia. O.O

ReputationRep:
    2 U's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas)
    Anyone heard of IMU Malaysia? They have partner program which is 2.5 years in malaysia and then you transfer to UK/Ireland/Canada/Australia.
    Its a private Malaysian set-up -and runs expensive 'study abroad experiences' and so-called 'internships' that last a few weeks.

It is not a back-door to a UK Medical degree.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an interview for Cardiff!! So happy😄😄😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshgirl7)
    Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshgirl7)
    Nicely done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How are people with interviews preparing for the MMIs?
    I have an interview at Bristol coming up in 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many apply to kings looking at the poll? More than Oxford and Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweden659)
    How are people with interviews preparing for the MMIs?
    I have an interview at Bristol coming up in 2 weeks.
    I'm going through a couple of Interview books which are pretty good, reading medical news and looking through some past MMI stations online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo24)
    thanks, i get what you mean, but what are the most ukcat heavy unis iyo?
    Newcastle is UKCAT heavy as is Birmingham - the latter scores you on your UKCAT out of 3 and your GCSEs out of 7 to give a score out of 10 to determine invitation to interview.
    Sheffield is probably the most UKCAT heavy. They check you meet the academic requirements then rank you by UKCAT score, then invite the top however many to interview.
    However, as someone else said, make sure you like the unis! There's no point applying to a uni that you have more chance of getting into if you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    What were your stats if you don't mind me asking michaela?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    As has been mentioned numerous times heer already, its not 'what I've done' that will get you an interview, its how you reflect on, comment on, explain the relevance of what you saw etc in your personal statement that actually matters - they are looking for mature reflection not a shopping list of placements.
    I see. Could you give an exxample of how you would reflect over the experience? Is it a good idea to take a notebook or something to write down important things/ things that show important qualities that was required in working in a health care setting e.g. empathy/patience

ReputationRep:
    Guys do you have any tips on how to do well in the UKcat? And when to take it etc?

Do you think its a bad idea that I'm doing work experience in the Easter holidays (a week out of it)

Oh and do you have any website recomendations to keep up with medical related news? (I heard that interviewers ask about it/interested in interviewees opinions on it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adalier)
    What were your stats if you don't mind me asking michaela?
    GCSEs: 5 A*'s 3 A's 1b
    UKCAT: 667 average band 1
    A level predictions: A*A*A
    Why are you applying to similar uni's to me or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.