The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lawliettt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by benboy2016)
I was in Oldham two weeks ago, and I met a guy at the pub, who said he would like to see Rooney put on a cross in the middle of Old Trafford, upside down, and crucified by his scrotum sack.

Now he scores, and he's white Pele again. Sometimes I seriously question your fanbase

Benboy
United have millions of fans. That guys opinion isn't a reflection of what I think. He may not be good as he was years ago but I'm sure he still has something to offer + still my favourite united player.

It's understandable why people would be annoyed at his poo first half of the season but I'd never hate him. Besides, it's not like he's the only one that's been poor.
Lawliettt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by leinad2012)
But Wenger DIDN'T sign him and so far it has been 100% the right decision; not defensive enough to play alongside a Cazorla or ramsey as a cdm, not offernsive or talented enough to play b2b/dlp alongside Coq.
He's better at defending than any midfielder in your squad. Stop being deluded. Maybe if you signed him, you'd have even more points than you do now.
scrawlx101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Martial is good, but Apkom equals if not surpasses Martial within the next 3 seasons
hes scored 3 goals in 23 apps....martials scored 5 and got 3 assists in 15 BPL apperances...lets not forget akpom's playing in the championship...might wanna hold off that proposal...
leinad2012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lawliettt)
He's better at defending than any midfielder in your squad. Stop being deluded. Maybe if you signed him, you'd have even more points than you do now.
Care to quote stats to back that up, or just chat ****?

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...ing_to_goal#90

Simple comparison shows that out of the 10 defensive stats, schneidie only beats coq for clearances per 90 and defensive error (where coq has made 1 to schneidies 0). Hell, even flamini beats schneidie in 6 catagories and only loses on tackles and interveptions per 90.

But yeah, continue posting baseless, bias comments...
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
defensive stats are fairly useless
leinad2012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
hes scored 3 goals in 23 apps....martials scored 5 and got 3 assists in 15 BPL apperances...lets not forget akpom's playing in the championship...might wanna hold off that proposal...
Can't believe you are taking this fella seriously but people on here thinl im trolling when i say schneidie wouldnt start at arsenal.

I expect us to sign a top cdm in summer anyway as flimmy will be leaving to set up a $billion chemical energy company
leinad2012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Sort of like 8 of your starting 11.....

Srs though what a joke comment, if they went in schneidies favour you'd be posting them
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sort of like 8 of your starting 11.....

Srs though what a joke comment, if they went in schneidies favour you'd be posting them
lol I've said they're not great several times before on here so nah
Lawliettt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Care to quote stats to back that up, or just chat ****?

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...ing_to_goal#90

Simple comparison shows that out of the 10 defensive stats, schneidie only beats coq for clearances per 90 and defensive error (where coq has made 1 to schneidies 0). Hell, even flamini beats schneidie in 6 catagories and only loses on tackles and interveptions per 90.

But yeah, continue posting baseless, bias comments...
I knew Arsenal fans were stupid but jesus christ.

Do you really think you can use stats to compare defensive attributes? Flamini having more tackles could be a result of LVG playing in a way where we have the ball 70% of the time. Looking at tackles ect. is pointless.

If you don't clearly see how Schneiderlin is a way better CDM than anything you guys have then I can't help you. Even if Coq equalled him in defending, Schneiderlin is so much better at attacking that he's still a better player overall
leinad2012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lawliettt)
I knew Arsenal fans were stupid but jesus christ.

Do you really think you can use stats to compare defensive attributes? Flamini having more tackles could be a result of LVG playing in a way where we have the ball 70% of the time. Looking at tackles ect. is pointless.

If you don't clearly see how Schneiderlin is a way better CDM than anything you guys have then I can't help you. Even if Coq equalled him in defending, Schneiderlin is so much better at attacking that he's still a better player overall
First paragraph is very true, second paragraph is just lol.

*Insert wilshere "ok mate" meme here*
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Almost wholly useless, and agreed upon by almost everyone in the football statistics industry
benboy2016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
Akpom would get similar stats starting for United.
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Martial would have 10x more goals at Barcelona
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nuh-uh
beggelton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sa-1)

\

you'll never say that
you'll never say thaaaat
"european champions"
you'll never say that
xKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
Almost wholly useless, and agreed upon by almost everyone in the football statistics industry
leinad2012 thoughts?
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dunno what United you been watching.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
They aren't entirely useless, they just need to be used with some subtlety, taking into account the particular circumstances being examined.

Thats equally true for 'attacking' statistics as well though.
leinad2012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xKay)
leinad2012 thoughts?
As I have stated, they can be useless when used carelessly (and would add when used in isolation). For example, a players ppsitioning at set pieces may determine their clearances stats, their position within a team and how the team plays affects it too (e.g. with Arsenal we got countered a lot with Coq playing so his tackles won stats are stunning).

However, to disregard them is stupid as well; over the past 3 seasons (>70 game sample) Scheidie has worse stats than Coq, both in playing as a dlp/b2b for soton and as a cdm for united, perhaps partly caused by his role within both teans. But that isn't the only factor. His attributes are much more akin to dlp imo, and maybe he will one day becoming a great dlp for you, but unfortunately that position is taken in our squad and will be for the next 5 years.

And whilst I may not watch United on the regs due to it being the most boring anti-football I think we have witnessed in the prem (even more than Jose in 2013-2014) Schneiderlin has never stood out as anything but a dlp missing Wanyama as a tethering cdm. I can't think of more than a couple of times where he has impressed defensively. By comparison Coq has been a revelation this past year, and I can think of at least a dozen times where he has made a ridiculously good tackle in the middle to break up an attack as well as contless times where his exceptional positioning has allowed him to make interceptions in the middle of the park to break up play.

Defensive stats used in isolation and in the wrong hands can be damaging, but when you start controlling for set piece positioning, role within team, style of play of team and look at the individual circumstances where the stats are coming from (i.e. looking at the individual tackles, interceptions etc, and the situations surrounding them) then they become relevant as supporting evidence.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
However, to disregard them is stupid as well; over the past 3 seasons (>70 game sample) Scheidie has worse stats than Coq, both in playing as a dlp/b2b for soton and as a cdm for united, perhaps partly caused by his role within both teans. But that isn't the only factor. His attributes are much more akin to dlp imo, and maybe he will one day becoming a great dlp for you, but unfortunately that position is taken in our squad and will be for the next 5 years.
Yet you only provide them for 0.5 seasons (they're not available on Squawka for his time at Southampton, so I suspect you haven't actually seen them and just made that bit up).

And whilst I may not watch United on the regs due to it being the most boring anti-football I think we have witnessed in the prem (even more than Jose in 2013-2014) Schneiderlin has never stood out as anything but a dlp missing Wanyama as a tethering cdm. I can't think of more than a couple of times where he has impressed defensively. By comparison Coq has been a revelation this past year, and I can think of at least a dozen times where he has made a ridiculously good tackle in the middle to break up an attack as well as contless times where his exceptional positioning has allowed him to make interceptions in the middle of the park to break up play.

Defensive stats used in isolation and in the wrong hands can be damaging, but when you start controlling for set piece positioning, role within team, style of play of team and look at the individual circumstances where the stats are coming from (i.e. looking at the individual tackles, interceptions etc, and the situations surrounding them) then they become relevant as supporting evidence.
You didn't do that though? You couldn't do that, because you don't even watch Schneiderlin...

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...duels_won_%#90
thoughts on Jones destroying Terry on stats in 2014-15, despite the latter being easily the best defender in the league that season?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.21%
Labour (140)
39.55%
Liberal Democrats (74)
20.9%
Green Party (26)
7.34%
Brexit Party (10)
2.82%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (4)
1.13%
Other (3)
0.85%
None (18)
5.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise