The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Guys, am only a couple of days away from being able to buy an upgrade but am now wondering, should I start to give my Pokemon storage a boost or continue with my bag?

If I upgrade my bag, I can hold 500 items. But have never increased Pokemon storage.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
That's one of the benefits of evolving your starter Pokemon later on in the game, you caught your Bulbasaur at 810 CP whereas the max CP when I evolved mine was around 600, which explains the massive difference in CP after 2 evolutions.

I could head there and walk in circles, it definitely sounds like a plan! Had a meeting today with my supervisor and now I have even more work than expected in the next few months so things are going to be pretty tight. Unsure if I'll have time to walk around or even play the game tbh.

Dratini nests no longer exist in POGO. They did originally, but the developers saw that some people were getting 2-3 Dragonites extremely easily while others had no chance at all, so they removed them during the first nest change. There may be some small nests were 2 or 3 spawn occasionally, but I caught 90% of mine from walking up and down the Thames tbh (I also caught 300+ Magikarp while I was doing it :tongue:).

The only hope for a Chansey is pure luck to be honest. There are no nests that I'm aware of, so good luck!

It's part of the Halloween event :smile:.

Well most people evolve pokemon at level 20 since that is the cap for eggs and have the best IVs. There's a chart which shows that egg hatches are mostly around 70-90% IV wheres in the wild they are more around 50-70% IV. I just got very very lucky with that Bulbasaur.

You get 2-3 spawns every 20 mins so it probably wouldn't take you long. Ugh FPM seems to be down again. Wanted to go to this local park for Kabuto but wandering blind might be useless.

I'm on 96 candies for Dratini so I can evolve a poor Dragonair to add to my pokedex but I'll probably wait until I've picked up the others that I need..

I may have to just wait for the nests to change again. Not sure how else to pick up 60+ machop candies.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Guys, am only a couple of days away from being able to buy an upgrade but am now wondering, should I start to give my Pokemon storage a boost or continue with my bag?

If I upgrade my bag, I can hold 500 items. But have never increased Pokemon storage.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what you use more I guess? My bag storage is still 350 since I find so many pokestops so never been bothered about deleting tons of items. I did one storage upgrade because I'm trying to keep one of every pokemon and so having a ton of pokemon for evolutions meant 250 wasn't enough.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I've never felt the need to upgrade the Pokemon storage because I have never even hit the 200 mark (though I think that will happen soon) but if you find yourself constantly needing more space for Pokemon then it is probably worth it. I can testify that the bag upgrades are definitely worthwhile, being able to carry twice as many Pokeballs and Revives/Potions is super, super useful.

Original post by Zerforax
Well most people evolve pokemon at level 20 since that is the cap for eggs and have the best IVs. There's a chart which shows that egg hatches are mostly around 70-90% IV wheres in the wild they are more around 50-70% IV. I just got very very lucky with that Bulbasaur.

You get 2-3 spawns every 20 mins so it probably wouldn't take you long. Ugh FPM seems to be down again. Wanted to go to this local park for Kabuto but wandering blind might be useless.

I'm on 96 candies for Dratini so I can evolve a poor Dragonair to add to my pokedex but I'll probably wait until I've picked up the others that I need..

I may have to just wait for the nests to change again. Not sure how else to pick up 60+ machop candies.

I'm already on 25 Omanyte candies (I think) so I'd only need to catch 4 of them during the event, it might be worth doing. I might go on Monday since my morning lectures appear to be cancelled.

Yeah, the wait between 100 candies and 125 seems extra long because you know you could evolve one if you wanted but you have to be strong and wait it out :tongue:.
Original post by tomtjl
Personally I've never felt the need to upgrade the Pokemon storage because I have never even hit the 200 mark (though I think that will happen soon) but if you find yourself constantly needing more space for Pokemon then it is probably worth it. I can testify that the bag upgrades are definitely worthwhile, being able to carry twice as many Pokeballs and Revives/Potions is super, super useful.

I'm already on 25 Omanyte candies (I think) so I'd only need to catch 4 of them during the event, it might be worth doing. I might go on Monday since my morning lectures appear to be cancelled.

Yeah, the wait between 100 candies and 125 seems extra long because you know you could evolve one if you wanted but you have to be strong and wait it out :tongue:.

The evolution time got reduced so you can managed around 75-80 evolutions now.

Well I wasted 25 candies evolving into a Dragonair ages ago. Def regret it now since have 96 candies <_<
Guys, am thinking of going into town today to use my incense (around the river in Bristol City Centre) to look for Magikarp and Dratini given I don't have any immediate deadlines (at least not for a couple of weeks) I can actually spend a bit of time doing what I want (at least for a couple of hours) and so, was wondering if I was to use my incense and my Lure Module, would it just bring in a load of Gastly and crap or something actually useful given I have now exceeded 300 Gastly candy...
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys, am thinking of going into town today to use my incense (around the river in Bristol City Centre) to look for Magikarp and Dratini given I don't have any immediate deadlines (at least not for a couple of weeks) I can actually spend a bit of time doing what I want (at least for a couple of hours) and so, was wondering if I was to use my incense and my Lure Module, would it just bring in a load of Gastly and crap or something actually useful given I have now exceeded 300 Gastly candy...

No one has really worked it out. People seem to suggest it just increases what should appear. I've not had any luck with incence or lures tbh. I think I once got a Vulpix (but it ran away) otherwise just the usual fodder..

I'd give it a shot - nothing to lose but double the candy if you find anything good.
No one has really worked it out. People seem to suggest it just increases what should appear. I've not had any luck with incence or lures tbh. I think I once got a Vulpix (but it ran away) otherwise just the usual fodder..

I'd give it a shot - nothing to lose but double the candy if you find anything good.

Kinda relying on eggs for double candy tbh...

Am looking mainly for Machop, Abra, Growlithe and have yet to even see a Tangler tbh...
Will look into hatching my 2k eggs before the event is over though too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On previous versions (I don't know if they patched this) if you went somewhere that was hundreds of meters from any spawns, you would get more random pokemon- I did it and got some I had never seen before/that were rare like Pinsir (ive got loads of them now though -_-), vulpix, growlithe and machop
FML a dratini was in range on Friday but by the time I scoped around it had gone :frown:

Got my last 10km egg to hatch tomorrow. No doubt it will be disappointing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hitmonchan with my 8th 10km egg.

I think over my time playing I've hatched the following from 10km eggs:

Snorlax x2
Lapras x1
Eevee x4
Dratini x2
Scyther x5
Onyx x4
Magmar x4
Jynx x3
Hitmonchan x2
Hitmonlee x1
Pinsir x1
Electabuzz x2
Omanyte x1
Kabuto x1
Aerodactyl x1

Not terrible and a good mix but some annoying ones in there too often.

I've got my 100 dratini candy to evolve to a (crap) Dragonite. So that just leaves me with Chansey, Kabutops, Machamp and Dodrio left. With FPM down, I think that's me done until/if some other scanner comes online since it's too tough to find such rare pokemon without it. I need the nests to change to get Machop/Doduo candy I think.

It's been fun and the exercise has been good but the game is flawed in some respects (tracking/difficulty in finding specific pokemon) and not developed enough for longer game play other than a ridiculously painful grind with what feels like little reward.
Hitmonchan with my 8th 10km egg.

I think over my time playing I've hatched the following from 10km eggs:

Snorlax x2
Lapras x1
Eevee x4
Dratini x2
Scyther x5
Onyx x4
Magmar x4
Jynx x3
Hitmonchan x2
Hitmonlee x1
Pinsir x1
Electabuzz x2
Omanyte x1
Kabuto x1
Aerodactyl x1

Not terrible and a good mix but some annoying ones in there too often.

I've got my 100 dratini candy to evolve to a (crap) Dragonite. So that just leaves me with Chansey, Kabutops, Machamp and Dodrio left. With FPM down, I think that's me done until/if some other scanner comes online since it's too tough to find such rare pokemon without it. I need the nests to change to get Machop/Doduo candy I think.

It's been fun and the exercise has been good but the game is flawed in some respects (tracking/difficulty in finding specific pokemon) and not developed enough for longer game play other than a ridiculously painful grind with what feels like little reward.

Damn, you've had a lot of 10km eggs. All I've hatched are:
Snorlax
Scyther
Eevee
Chansey
Mr. Mime
Lapras x2

And I think that's it. Might have been a couple more but not much.
Original post by tomtjl
Damn, you've had a lot of 10km eggs. All I've hatched are:
Snorlax
Scyther
Eevee
Chansey
Mr. Mime
Lapras x2

And I think that's it. Might have been a couple more but not much.

I think that's 34 and I've had a total of 352 eggs so just under 10%?
I think that's 34 and I've had a total of 352 eggs so just under 10%?

True, but I mean I've hatched 200 eggs and only about 8 of them have been 10km eggs, which comes in at 4%. Maybe I've just been particularly unlucky? Who knows.
Original post by tomtjl
True, but I mean I've hatched 200 eggs and only about 8 of them have been 10km eggs, which comes in at 4%. Maybe I've just been particularly unlucky? Who knows.

I picked up 8x 10km eggs during this Halloween event and I just assumed they were spawning at a higher rate for the event? Take those out and it drops to closer 7%.

That said, I'd take your lower rate of obtaining but the higher rate of more useful pokemon..
Hatched 2 5k eggs today (walked around 7km today so far) and got a Porygon and a Psyduck...
Currently have a 2k on the go, should hatch on the way back to my place today given the distance between my place and uni is 2.5km.

Although, finally managed to catch the last Vulpix I need to add Ninetails to my Pokedex, Have been sitting on 49 candy for a while now...
Also, for all the 10k egg discussions, I think at most, I've hatched about 6-7...

Can never find any...
I picked up 8x 10km eggs during this Halloween event and I just assumed they were spawning at a higher rate for the event? Take those out and it drops to closer 7%.

That said, I'd take your lower rate of obtaining but the higher rate of more useful pokemon..

The rate is only higher though because there's only 7/8 Pokemon there, so all of them are useful :tongue:. The more you hatch the more likely you are to get duplicates, so that's not really a fair comparison.

I've not had a single 10km egg during the event lol. Only hatched 4 or 5 eggs though so only picked up 4 or 5 eggs so I wouldn't expect more than 1 anyways.
Original post by tomtjl
The rate is only higher though because there's only 7/8 Pokemon there, so all of them are useful . The more you hatch the more likely you are to get duplicates, so that's not really a fair comparison.

I've not had a single 10km egg during the event lol. Only hatched 4 or 5 eggs though so only picked up 4 or 5 eggs so I wouldn't expect more than 1 anyways.

Ehh I think it was because I went through patches where I hatched 3 Scythers in a row and then a mix of Magmar/Jynx just after I found loads in the wild too.

Yea got very lucky during the event but not quite what I wanted in the end.

Annoying because all I really want now are Lapras, Dratini, Kabuto, Machop, Doduo, Chansey and Growlithe candies.

I guess I'd also take Grimer, Bulbasaur and Electabuzz candy for powerups..
So I'm on around 108 Dratini candies so still some way before ready to evolve and therefore I'll keep on collecting while I can. Assuming I don't catch a better Dratini, which would you evolve and which would you trade in today for 2 extra candy?

Dratini 1 - CP 537
IVs: 12/12/13 (82%)
Will evolve into a CP 1954 Dragonite

Dratini 2 - CP 581
IVs: 13/10/10 (73%)
Will evolve into a CP 2131 Dragonite

Dratini 3 - CP 696
IVs: 13/8/7 (62%)
Will evolve into a CP 2584 Dragonite

I'm thinking I'll trade in the second Dratini and evolve the third one?

I like to keep one of each pokemon but I can add another 4 candies from trading in a Dratini/my second Dragonair and then will get another one soon from finishing my walking which would get me to 113..

* I've worked out it would take me an extra 40 candies to get the 82% Dratini to 2580..
(edited 7 years ago)
So I'm on around 108 Dratini candies so still some way before ready to evolve and therefore I'll keep on collecting while I can. Assuming I don't catch a better Dratini, which would you evolve and which would you trade in today for 2 extra candy?

Dratini 1 - CP 537
IVs: 12/12/13 (82%)
Will evolve into a CP 1954 Dragonite

Dratini 2 - CP 581
IVs: 13/10/10 (73%)
Will evolve into a CP 2131 Dragonite

Dratini 3 - CP 696
IVs: 13/8/7 (62%)
Will evolve into a CP 2584 Dragonite

I'm thinking I'll trade in the second Dratini and evolve the third one?

I like to keep one of each pokemon but I can add another 4 candies from trading in a Dratini/my second Dragonair and then will get another one soon from finishing my walking which would get me to 113..

* I've worked out it would take me an extra 40 candies to get the 82% Dratini to 2580..

It really depends on how "seriously" you play the game. If you want to get the best Pokemon possible, then you'll have to choose the higher IV Dratini and power it up, there is no way around it. Although you'll spend 40 extra candies, the resulting Dragonite with be ~30% better than Dratini 3 if that was evolved. Personally I'd either go for 1 or 2, because I don't evolve any important Pokemon that are below 70% IVs. Dratini 1 is the more hardcore route (and much harder) while Dratini 2 will be the easier route, but the resulting Dragonite won't be as good. But then, with the scarcity of Dratini candies, it might be near to impossible to max your Dragonite anyway, making 2 the best option imo.
Original post by tomtjl
It really depends on how "seriously" you play the game. If you want to get the best Pokemon possible, then you'll have to choose the higher IV Dratini and power it up, there is no way around it. Although you'll spend 40 extra candies, the resulting Dragonite with be ~30% better than Dratini 3 if that was evolved. Personally I'd either go for 1 or 2, because I don't evolve any important Pokemon that are below 70% IVs. Dratini 1 is the more hardcore route (and much harder) while Dratini 2 will be the easier route, but the resulting Dragonite won't be as good. But then, with the scarcity of Dratini candies, it might be near to impossible to max your Dragonite anyway, making 2 the best option imo.

I had played it fairly seriously but I've really struggled for Dratini candy. I think I'm going to go for option 3 :colondollar:

The difference between the 82% and the 62% at level 27 Dragonite is 52 CP. Not the end of the world and I don't think I'll even max out for my current trainer level.

Maybe I'll get lucky and catch an awesome Dratini in the mean time and make it redundant :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest