The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whoever George Lewis is, thank you for those notes!! seriously they are spectacular.
Original post by AtomicMan
When would you use steam distillation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

to separate organic products which might otherwise decompose from sustained heating.
Reply 1862
Original post by blackraven
Whoever George Lewis is, thank you for those notes!! seriously they are spectacular.

Second this. Brilliant notes.
When would you use steam distillation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To prevent a compound from decomposing when heated up.

In other words, we're able to distil a product at a lower temperature than it's boiling point. Extremely useful if we want to maximise the product yield.
Original post by Bord3r
Second this. Brilliant notes.

Link please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by posthumus
But the option said aq ammonia :frown: or does that no have much significance ?

& Thank-you :smile:

Yeah aq ammonia is what the reactions take place with Ccording to the edexcel blue book.... No problem :wink:
How do you know if a product shows optical activity? Is that if it contains a chiral carbon?
Original post by Bubblezzzz
Good luck everyone! X
hope you all get a*s

Aren't you lovely ... I hope we all do too :smile:
Original post by James A
How do you know if a product shows optical activity? Is that if it contains a chiral carbon?

No, you use a polarimeter to test whether it rotates the plane of polarisation of plane polarised light. If it does it is optically active :smile:

Edit; yes that is actually, but it's not a test for it
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jojo1995
No, you use a polarimeter to test whether it rotates the plane of polarisation of plane polarised light. If it does it is optically active :smile:

Edit; yes that is actually, but it's not a test for it

So does that mean a racemic mixture is optically active? :smile:
Original post by James A

racemic solution contained same amount of both enantiomers which rotate plane polarised light in opposite directions equally...

since they're in equal amounts there will be no optical activity of the mixture as a whole
Original post by James A

No, it might have a chiral carbon but it might be a racemic mixture, in that case it's not optically active. All optically active substances have chiral carbon atoms, but not all molecules with chiral carbon atoms are optically active. If that makes any sense :smile:
Original post by James A

No a race mic mixture isn't as although each isomer would rotate the ppl, they would do so in opposite directions and so they cancel out. So race mic mixture had no overall effect on ppl
Does anyone have a link for jan 2013 mark scheme ?
Original post by James A

Stumbled across this wonderful video earlier: http://www.khanacademy.org/science/organic-chemistry/stereochemistry-topic/chirality-r-s-system/v/introduction-to-chirality. The example videos are pretty useful. A Chiral molecule will rotate the plane of plane polarised light.
(edited 10 years ago)
Cheers everyone :yy: I got it now xD
Original post by alla soup
Does anyone have a link for jan 2013 mark scheme ?

attached

I feel obligated to share them. I'm so happy i stumbled upon them
solvent extraction : you add something that the product your after dissolves in but waste doesnt, and then what happens after this i dont understand, someone please explain :colondollar:
I've given up aiming for an A* in this... it's too hard.

Latest

Trending

Trending