The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by Jupperrs
Yeah you may be right. I'm assuming you have had a confirmation email?

yup about 2 and a half weeks ago
Original post by Fas
ahh sound, well thats definitely a bonus! hopefully i can get an offer from those guys, they're probably my 1st choice even over UCL haha

ahh i say that cos everyone ive spoken to says its really REALLY good, although im massively self-critical so whenever i look at it i just think " meh, its alright at best "

Ah, fair enough. Above UCL? :redface: Wow. Why? (and this is coming from a Bath firmer who absolutely loves Bath.)
Reply 1862
Original post by kiirankapoor
Same. My team hasnt evenstarted yet "/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by purplemind
Maybe it does. :smile: But both are useful .
To be honest, we haven't even met once to decide who is doing what and that is a problem. I was thinking only about my application before as most of people in my school. A very bad organisation, I know.

Haha fair, when's your heat?
Original post by azns
Haha fair, when's your heat?

28th November so there is still time to try to do something. :smile:
Original post by Pro Crastination
Ah, fair enough. Above UCL? :redface: Wow. Why? (and this is coming from a Bath firmer who absolutely loves Bath.)

Could be location, a lot of people would prefer not to be in London.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Could be location, a lot of people would prefer not to be in London.

I know exactly what you mean, I just hate London and plus it's too expensive. I'm applying to LSE and UCL to just please my parents although I'd probably firm Warwick/Bristol or even Southampton over those 2.
Original post by Dilzo999
I know exactly what you mean, I just hate London and plus it's too expensive. I'm applying to LSE and UCL to just please my parents although I'd probably firm Warwick/Bristol or even Southampton over those 2.

Ah, fair enough. I'd love to go to a top London uni, but I don't believe I have the grades :/ Ah, well, could always try to see if they'll accept me for an MSc a few years down the road :3
Are offers/rejections given over the weekend?

I wouldn't go as far as to saying I hate London but it's all personal preference. There are parts which are really nice and, similarly, parts which are horrible. I loved the atmosphere and location of LSE so that would be hard to turn down! Have you been to either?
Original post by abcd1711
No i didn't...seems like nearly everybody has received it though so im starting to think its actually a good thing! Last year nearly all Nottingham economics offer on here were given out in January anyway...

you've either got a stunning application or its horrendously bad/ not got an A*AA prediction. what were your AS/GCSE grades like?
Original post by Pro Crastination

location, i mean London is nice but i'd prefer not to be there haha - plus a campus-style University like Bath i would MUCH prefer over the way UCL is situated. Plus that one-year placement just looks so good, i know UCL has a better rep but id prefer a years work experience at a top bank during my degree :tongue:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I wouldn't go as far as to saying I hate London but it's all personal preference. There are parts which are really nice and, similarly, parts which are horrible. I loved the atmosphere and location of LSE so that would be hard to turn down! Have you been to either?

Yup been to both. Well I think hate is too much of a strong word now I think I should have said sick of it really. I want to move somewhere new.
Reply 1872
Original post by Fas
you've either got a stunning application or its horrendously bad/ not got an A*AA prediction. what were your AS/GCSE grades like?

AAAC at AS (Maths, Economics, Politics, History), predicted A*AA (A* in Maths) and 2A*, 6A,B,C at GSCE....teachers all said my PS was very good....wouldn't describe it as either stunning or horrendously bad...
location, i mean London is nice but i'd prefer not to be there haha - plus a campus-style University like Bath i would MUCH prefer over the way UCL is situated. Plus that one-year placement just looks so good, i know UCL has a better rep but id prefer a years work experience at a top bank during my degree

Oh, the placement is something to look forward to, I can assure you/I am assuring myself. The salaries for a 1 year work placement are fantastic. I remember the lecturer saying that there was one student who (because of their additional bonuses for working in a bank) earned more than them during the year - hopefully that means the bank is generous, rather than the Uni is missing payments to staff :s-smilie:. If I could just hand over a large chunk of that to pay off my debt or pay for a masters... I bet I wont be able to, though.
I haven't received the email from Nottingham either :frown: I did only send off my application last week but eh.

I wasn't really expecting an offer from them anyway as it's so competitive but I hope I still have a chance

My grades aren't amazing, but they meet the requirements and I don't think my application is horrendously bad.
Original post by abcd1711
AAAC at AS (Maths, Economics, Politics, History), predicted A*AA (A* in Maths) and 2A*, 6A,B,C at GSCE....teachers all said my PS was very good....wouldn't describe it as either stunning or horrendously bad...

about the same as mine really ( better in some areas, worse in others ) so its not bad at all, its quite competitive. i don't really know why you havent got the email then! was it BSc Economics L100 you applied for?
Reply 1876
Original post by Fas
about the same as mine really ( better in some areas, worse in others ) so its not bad at all, its quite competitive. i don't really know why you havent got the email then! was it BSc Economics L100 you applied for?

Yup L100. I dont know either...they've had my application a little too long for me to say they just haven't sent it to me yet...

Londons not that much more expensive to be honest. Although I probably would firm warwick of UCL purely since warwick looks nicer.
which economic courses are you people applying for at oxbridge and LSE etc
if i apply for cambridge, LSE, UCL, warwick and nottingham. what entry exams will i have to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending