Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    3.00%
    21-40
    6.00%
    41-50
    14.50%
    51-60
    39.50%
    61-70
    37.00%

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the polarisation question to explain what the scientist would discover about the wave FROM THE EARTHQUAKE based on the fact that it was polarised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomT94)
    On the 6 mark question, first law and second law should be the other way around. Also, bullet b's distance is not affected by its mass. It's because both accelerate towards the ground at the same rate from the same height, therefore, same time of travel, thus lower horizontal speed causes bullet to travel shorter distance in the given time.
    Thank you very much for your input, I will make changes to my original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trentjoseph007)
    Thats means its different form the double slit one, like most people r explaining.
    what people are explaining is right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VV.KKGSR)
    The fact that it was a transverse wave was given in the question, so even i'm not sure where the 2 marks would have come from?
    I just put it will be a secondary seismic wave which travels through parallel planes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Polarised so must be transverse?

I put seismic s waves as well, that should be a mark

ReputationRep:
    For the phase difference I put

"90 degrees out of phase"

"270 degrees out of phase"

Is this okay or will I not get the marks as I said "out of phase"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    Thank you very much for your input, I will make changes to my original post.
    When its finalised let me know which page its on so I can quote it in the op

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .raiden.)
    When its finalised let me know which page its on so I can quote it in the op

ReputationRep:
    i think you would say that since it is transverse, you would limit the vibration to oscilliate in one direction perpendicular the wave travel (1 mark) hence the scientist could deduce where the earthquake will be directed at (1 mark)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aarongreatbanks)

I think you will. I put that too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    I've just about managed to finalise the mark scheme now, but as it says, I think I've given an extra mark to one of the questions somewhere. Again, any corrections are welcome and greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm also still clueless as to what the second part of question 7 was, I think it was the intensity graph, but not too sure.

EDIT^2: Its now complete, thank you .raiden. and HenryD for clearing that up.
    7a - sure wavelength will get the mark? I thought coherence was strictly: constant/fixed phase difference.. I just saw that on the mark scheme highlighted/underlined loadss of times.. I could be wrong just thought otherwise

ReputationRep:

That would be fine I'd think.

(Original post by VV.KKGSR)
    The fact that it was a transverse wave was given in the question, so even i'm not sure where the 2 marks would have come from?
    I just put it will be a secondary seismic wave which travels through parallel planes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll have to state why polarisation means that it must be transverse and then say SSW I would think.

ReputationRep:

i put that too because they both are out of phase since 90 and 270 are not a whole number multiple of 360 degrees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .raiden.)
    I think you will. I put that too?
    I don't think they'd be so harsh it is correct in my eyes I just wanted to see your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    i think you would say that since it is transverse, you would limit the vibration to oscilliate in one direction perpendicular the wave travel (1 mark) hence the scientist could deduce where the earthquake will be directed at (1 mark)
    In that case I put the effect of the seismic wave can only be seen in one direction is a mark? Probably too vague I guess

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the paper yet?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Physics.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  531.5 KB

Look at figure 2 ... Thats what happens .. Not white central fringe .. or first order continuous spectra.

EDIT: This is the last question on the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hullo)
    7a - sure wavelength will get the mark? I thought coherence was strictly: constant/fixed phase difference.. I just saw that on the mark scheme highlighted/underlined loadss of times.. I could be wrong just thought otherwise
    Fairly sure that that question was about monochromatic light? In which case same wavelength is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    what people are explaining is right
    Look at my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Fairly sure that that question was about monochromatic light? In which case same wavelength is the answer.
    Yes it was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hullo)
    it asked for monochromatic not coherent

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.