Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionsQ)
    Ahah, thanks, I guess we'll see what happens. It's all a bit of a lottery though. You've got fantastic grades too (I've seen you around) - so I'm sure you'll be receiving an offer from LSE at some point in the future.

Best of luck with everything.
    That's true. Thanks a lot

PS - what made you take a gap year? Feel free to PM if you don't want to discuss over this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Also, what do L101 applicants think of the importance of UMS and how it would be calculated?
    Considering they have a separate section for further maths they absolutely love that. Probably just average it out and see what happens. An admissions tutor told me a month or two back that LSE ask for UMS to differentiate the high A grades from the low A grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Considering they have a separate section for further maths they absolutely love that. Probably just average it out and see what happens. An admissions tutor told me a month or two back that LSE ask for UMS to differentiate the high A grades from the low A grades.
    To be perfectly honest, I think that's the fairest way to do it and that's what annoys me with UCAS. Someone getting scraping an A is not the same as 95-100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    To be perfectly honest, I think that's the fairest way to do it and that's what annoys me with UCAS. Someone getting scraping an A is not the same as 95-100.
    Do you reckon LSE will look at mechanics and decision modules or just look at core, further pure and stats, I got 95+ in all modules apart from D1 which I only got a low 80's score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayaa_27)
    Mathematics and economics =)..what are you applying for??? =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mee too, have you heard anything from LSE recently? How far into your 5 week email are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Do you reckon LSE will look at mechanics and decision modules or just look at core, further pure and stats, I got 95+ in all modules apart from D1 which I only got a low 80's score.
    I asked an admissions tutor this exact same thing at an open day, she said they'll look at everything but they'll put more emphasis on the relevant modules.

ReputationRep:
    D1 was the death of me as well

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks into my 5 week email
    Applying for pure economics
    But I haven't received the questionnaire thing....
    Is it because my referee had already put the ums (double maths + Econ only)in my reference?
    thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    D1 was the death of me as well
    Haha lol, D1 is certainly a ***** if you get one thing wrong in your calculations and especially if its early on in the question, thats exactly what happened to me, if I tell you the mistake I made in that paper you will probably laugh to death. That mistake cost me over 10 ums in that paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I asked an admissions tutor this exact same thing at an open day, she said they'll look at everything but they'll put more emphasis on the relevant modules.
    Thats good then because in all the relevant modules I have got over 96%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    His a level grades aren't amazing in the eyes of Cambridge university. They say the average offer holder has a UMS of 90+ and surely that will hold him back, please be honest with on TSR it is great idea to say supportive things but it is not a good idea to give people false advice. But i do wish all the luck with Cambridge. There are 20 candidates per place for LSE law and that was probably why he was rejected.
    Actually it explicitly states on the Cambridge website that A*A*A is a competitive set of results for post-applicants applying for an Arts subject (which he is doing). For sciences it's A*A*A*, but that's due to the nature of the subjects... but anyways Tej was right when he said he had a solid set of results for Camb as he satisfied the above.

With regards to UMS, for post-applicants the final grade is a lot more important than a few points you got at AS, as an A* shows you've done well at the harder A2, and, as someone stated above, they pay more attention to the most recent set of results. UMS is more useful for students with AS results in order to predict what they're likely to get at A2. Why is why the auto-pool for post-applicants filters out candidates using final grades, rather than a UMS average which is used for those with AS results.

ReputationRep:
    Haha lol, D1 is certainly a ***** if you get one thing wrong in your calculations and especially if its early on in the question, thats exactly what happened to me, if I tell you the mistake I made in that paper you will probably laugh to death. That mistake cost me over 10 ums in that paper.
    I know what you mean, the content of D1 isn't even hard it's just a pain in the ass XD.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

want to apply for Maths with Econ
    GCSE's werent very good- 1A* 4A's 4B's and 1C,Distinction (2A*'s and 2A's)
    AS's werent very good- A-Maths B-Physics C-Chemistry and i also did further at AS but only 2 modules so i dont get AS, only full A-level at the endof the 2 years.
    Prediction- A*-Maths A-FM A-Physics, (dropped chemistry)
    i know i am a very weak applicant, but what are my chances of getting a offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar.Q)
    Hi

AS's werent very good- A-Maths B-Physics C-Chemistry and i also did further at AS but only 2 modules so i dont get AS, only full A-level at the endof the 2 years.
    You probably won't get an offer. LSE places a lot of emphasis on GCSEs and your AS grades are going to be below their average applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitrogen)
    You probably won't get an offer. LSE places a lot of emphasis on GCSEs and your AS grades are going to be below their average applicant
    okaay,
    btw doesn't FM alevel and high predicted not contribute?

ReputationRep:
    okaay,
    btw doesn't FM alevel and high predicted not contribute?
    You definitely stand a chance Be optimistic. Factors such as your forecast grades, personal statement, testimonial will contribute to their consideration. But, come on, even if you are not accepted into LSE, so what? It's definitely not the end of the world. There are applicants who obtained 5As in A lvl being rejected by Cambridge but accepted by Harvard. You have nothing to lose for trying to apply to these prestigious unis.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting nervous. But, at least if I get rejected I can say:

LSE? HA. MORE LIKE LSD.

And I can be comfortable with not having applied to Cambridge as they'll probably have rejected me too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

You would need to have a very, very, very exceptional personal statement. I applied to maths with economics last year with 5A* 4A 1B at GCSE, AAAA at AS (with 99% across maths/further maths which I put on UCAS) and A*A*A*A* predictions. I got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Illusionist)
    Mee too, have you heard anything from LSE recently? How far into your 5 week email are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    About three weeks =(.. how about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Yea your chances are slim. Because you are also applying for a VERY competitive course. But maybe if you are international and have a phenomenal PS and reference, they might take you. Did you get the 5-week email?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.