Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Neither. From what I've seen (over the past couple of years or so) UCL is 'easier'. Warwick is pickier on grades, offer is A*AAa or A*AAB whereas UCL is simply A*AA + pass in a 4th subject at AS, which gives the impression that they're after straight As at AS. And generally they take much longer to reply, quite a few more people on this thread currently hold 'offers' from UCL than for Warwick and they tend to be a bit unpredictable. I've seen people get offers from Oxbridge/LSE and not get Warwick whereas it isn't usually the case with UCL.

Both Cambridge and LSE genuinely care about FM as stated on their website. Besides, Oxford don't do Economics.

Warwick also has a huge international vibe and attracts plenty of strong applicants. The quality of the course, and reputation (especially for Economics) are more or less the same between them.
    What would you say is the most important factor for Warwick when making decisions on who to give offers to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aditkulkarni)
    When do LSE and Warwick tend to give out offers? Still waiting...
    Go A*AA from LSE some time back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aso816)
    Has anyone got an offer from Bristol yet? If so how long did it take for them to reply you after your ucas being sent off
    Got AAA some week back.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer from Bristol yet? If so how long did it take for them to reply you after your ucas being sent off
    I have an Economics and Politics offer from Bristol, and my friend has an Economics offer. Took 1 week for mine and a bit longer for his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    What would you say is the most important factor for Warwick when making decisions on who to give offers to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've seen it seems to be strong GCSE grades and good predicted grades outweighing the importance of the personal statement.

Dunno about this year, but in past people have said that they are strict on GCSEs - e.g. anyone with less than 6A*s rejected - but don't take my word on this, it's mainly speculation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've seen it seems to be strong GCSE grades and good predicted grades outweighing the importance of the personal statement.

Dunno about this year, but in past people have said that they are strict on GCSEs - e.g. anyone with less than 6A*s rejected - but don't take my word on this, it's mainly speculation.
    Oh okay thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlMarx72)
    Got AAA some week back.
    Would you say around a month? And is yours the economics with study abroad course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    I have an Economics and Politics offer from Bristol, and my friend has an Economics offer. Took 1 week for mine and a bit longer for his.
    Did they send you any email apart from the acknowledgement email? Congrats btw

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone apply for industrial economics?

ReputationRep:
    Neither. From what I've seen (over the past couple of years or so) UCL is 'easier'. Warwick is pickier on grades, offer is A*AAa or A*AAB whereas UCL is simply A*AA + pass in a 4th subject at AS, which gives the impression that they're after straight As at AS. And generally they take much longer to reply, quite a few more people on this thread currently hold 'offers' from UCL than for Warwick and they tend to be a bit unpredictable. I've seen people get offers from Oxbridge/LSE and not get Warwick whereas it isn't usually the case with UCL.

Both Cambridge and LSE genuinely care about FM as stated on their website. Besides, Oxford don't do Economics.

Warwick also has a huge international vibe and attracts plenty of strong applicants. The quality of the course, and reputation (especially for Economics) are more or less the same between them.
    I don't know about Cambridge. I think it's a lot more unheard for an applicant to get into LSE economics without FM than Cambridge! yes, I know - I meant Economics and Management which is obviously the closet to economics Oxford do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    How was your interview?!
    Hmm interesting, honestly though I don't think it was good enough, messed up on a few stupid things but I guess I'll have to wait and see

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Apparently UCL have a more maths based course than Cambridge and I got into UCL without A2 FM or AS FM grades. I am taking AS FM this year.
    Not necessarily. The thing is UCL doesn't have any compulsory essay-writing modules, so through careful choice of optional modules (which you can choose from any department), you can literally avoid writing any essays throughout your degree and just pick all the maths options. Whereas for Cambridge, Economic History and Politics are compulsory in first year. I'd assume the core maths/stats units would cover the same areas since they are the foundation upon which the degree is built.

Regardless, the admissions at UCL don't have a preference for FM over any other subject whereas Cambridge explicitly state they do, so whether it's a more maths based course or not has no bearing on their decisions.

(Original post by sr-96)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Grades. Warwick do like a strong GCSE performance, since most will have straight As at AS and as they don't look at UMS, interview, care about FM/Econ A Level, then it's probably gonna be one of their main discriminating factors. There's no cut-off, but obviously the higher the better your chances.

Also the Personal Statement, and Reference to show your determination for the course, which can mitigate a weaker academic performance. So it's really a combination of all these factors rather than one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Hmm interesting, honestly though I don't think it was good enough, messed up on a few stupid things but I guess I'll have to wait and see

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plenty come out of the interview thinking it went terrible yet end up securing offers so stay hopeful

ReputationRep:
    Plenty come out of the interview thinking it went terrible yet end up securing offers so stay hopeful
    Hmm I'll try I just feel like I messed up on really simple things but idk maybe they'll see something in my thought process

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. The thing is UCL doesn't have any compulsory essay-writing modules, so through careful choice of optional modules (which you can choose from any department), you can literally avoid writing any essays throughout your degree and just pick all the maths options. Whereas for Cambridge, Economic History and Politics are compulsory in first year. I'd assume the core maths/stats units would cover the same areas since they are the foundation upon which the degree is built.

Regardless, the admissions at UCL don't have a preference for FM over any other subject whereas Cambridge explicitly state they do, so whether it's a more maths based course or not has no bearing on their decisions.

Grades. Warwick do like a strong GCSE performance, since most will have straight As at AS and as they don't look at UMS, interview, care about FM/Econ A Level, then it's probably gonna be one of their main discriminating factors. There's no cut-off, but obviously the higher the better your chances.

Also the Personal Statement, and Reference to show your determination for the course, which can mitigate a weaker academic performance. So it's really a combination of all these factors rather than one or the other.
    Oh ok thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was was harder in your opinion, maths or econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did they send you any email apart from the acknowledgement email? Congrats btw
    No the only email I got prior to my offer was the acknowledgement email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Was was harder in your opinion, maths or econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think I can really say until after all the interviews for econ at my college
    Also I wouldn't worry too much about my college's interviews as I'm fairly sure most colleges don't do it like that if that makes any sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I can really say until after all the interviews for econ at my college
    Also I wouldn't worry too much about my college's interviews as I'm fairly sure most colleges don't do it like that if that makes any sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright, well at least you have done it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still nothing from Warwick

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.