Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    I applied for a college in September (I didn't get in though; there are loads of applicants and they decide through a ballot system so I got unlucky) but I haven't applied anywhere else yet. I'll probably just end up staying at my current school's sixth form though
    A ballot system? Are you serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    A ballot system? Are you serious?
    Yep, unfortunately I'm serious. It used to be 'first come, first served' but they changed it because they thought it was unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have mock exams coming up soon? Mine are in late November.
    First week of December, I feel bad for whoever has there's in January

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, unfortunately I'm serious. It used to be 'first come, first served' but they changed it because they thought it was unfair.
    And using the ballot system is fair... How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canttellyou)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too, my friend has hers in January. I'm glad I'll be getting mine out of the way with and that I won't have to revise over the Christmas holidays!

And using the ballot system is fair... How?
    I don't think it's fair either They made us fill out a fairly detailed personal statement in our applications but I don't see why they would do that if they use the ballot system anyway; surely they don't even read all/most of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canttellyou)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same. Do you think they'll be past papers?

ReputationRep:
    Me too, my friend has hers in January. I'm glad I'll be getting mine out of the way with and that I won't have to revise over the Christmas holidays!

I don't think it's fair either They made us fill out a fairly detailed personal statement in our applications but I don't see why they would do that if they use the ballot system anyway; surely they don't even read all/most of them.
    .... The headteacher or principal must really be a fan of the Hunger Games

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have mock exams coming up soon? Mine are in late November.
    Late nov/early DEC and several from Jan D=

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying right now since my highlander is weirdly good but my new one's coming up in November so I'm not sure. Although, I did attend an open day today and I might send an application tomorrow but I'm still unsure. Is it too early?
    It's never too early - I know most colleges recommend you apply early as courses fill up quickly, and it gets the applicstions done before mocks kick in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I break up this Friday for half term so I'm going to try and do some revision over half term, what about you?
    We break up next Friday, but I'm away all half term, so I plan on churning out revision as soon as I get back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampleX)
    Mine are the first week in December. When do you plan to start revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine are then as well! no idea when I should start revision though..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SidTheSloth1)
    Maybe its just me but the only different thing for me between year 11 and 10 is that ive started doing more CAs but other than that I havent noticed that big a difference.
    Yeah me too, but I've found it loads more stressful and time-consuming so far I miss year 10 haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We break up next Friday, but I'm away all half term, so I plan on churning out revision as soon as I get back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm going away for some of half term so I'm not sure how much revision I'll actually end up doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    We do composition, practical and some theory/history. We're doing our compositions mainly at the moment, I didn't think I'd enjoy it but now I'm into it I find it really fun.
    I'm not the best at composition but I've improved a lot since theory. Do you have one music exam, or is it based on practical work?

Glad you're enjoying it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathalieGW)
    Hey, sorry for the slow reply i've been really busy! For the practical we have to hypothesis the affect of photosynthesis on plant growth. We are using bean sprouts and strawberry plants as part of our apparatus

Which instrument do you play? I have completed grade 3 in guitar. How are you with Algebra?
    I have been to two college open days recently, have you been to any?
    It's fine, I usually take a while to reply too.

I hope your biology goes well, have you started it yet?

I play the saxophone. I stopped lessons last year after doing two years of theory after I achieved my grade 5. I still play it in an orchestra, as I don't want to give up completely.

I haven't, our school has a sixth form so I'll probably stay where I am as there aren't many sixth form colleges nearby. I'll have a look at some online though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    Mine are then as well! no idea when I should start revision though..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm probably going to start after half term... ugh, the dreaded revision begins!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm going away for some of half term so I'm not sure how much revision I'll actually end up doing!
    Do you ever make a revision plan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever make a revision plan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've tried to in the past but I never stick to it! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to in the past but I never stick to it! What about you?
    If I do, I don't plan it out like, "I'll do this from 10-11", because I don't stick to it. I just plan what topics I need to do each day and work through it in my own time. I find topic based plans so much better than time based plans

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I love the rain when I'm inside but not when I'm outside. It always seems to start raining as soon as I walk home from the bus stop after school! I always forget my umbrella as well...
    umbrellas... are literally the thing that you always seem to need but never have with you :mad:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.