Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    After over 20 applications and months of rejection, I've finally landed a HCA job! Hopefully getting into medicine won't take me that many applications...
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    Yay well done!!!! We can show people on the thread that you can get them keep going!! What department??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Trauma and ortho, so excited to start! Thanks so much for the tips/interview questions you gave me, lots of the questions came up, so I guess I owe you one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteemma)
    Congratulations!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Trauma and ortho, so excited to start! Thanks so much for the tips/interview questions you gave me, lots of the questions came up, so I guess I owe you one!
    No problem! Ah I'm so jealous you're in that department? Can't remember, what did you get in UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    No problem! Ah I'm so jealous you're in that department? Can't remember, what did you get in UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup, really didn't think I would get it.

Got 702.5. Done yours yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcha)
    I was considering apply to the 5 year route as I heard the cut offs are slightly lower, but I think most places are looking for a score of at least 700 if I'm being honest, no harm in applying anyway though I suppose haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    5 year schools want a score of 700? The is not true I know this for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    5 year schools want a score of 700? The is not true I know this for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ive read other people have got offers for less than 700 as their UKCAT score but a 'competitive' score judging by those who get offers seems to be people getting close to or higher than 700. Any suggestions which undergrad medicine unis I should think about applying for with a score of only 625? I am taking a gap year and currently work full time hours on the bank as a theatre HCA, I've previously worked as theatre porter in the same hospital and been doing this on the bank for 3 years regularly working shifts over the holiday period while I came home from Uni in the holidays. I didn't do great in my highers, so applying first time round was never an option for me, will this disadvantage Me? I got mainly Bs and a few Cs. Do they look at school results despite me holding a high 2:1 in Biomedical Science? Apologies for the barrage of questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcha)
    Ive read other people have got offers for less than 700 as their UKCAT score but a 'competitive' score judging by those who get offers seems to be people getting close to or higher than 700. Any suggestions which undergrad medicine unis I should think about applying for with a score of only 625? I am taking a gap year and currently work full time hours on the bank as a theatre HCA, I've previously worked as theatre porter in the same hospital and been doing this on the bank for 3 years regularly working shifts over the holiday period while I came home from Uni in the holidays. I didn't do great in my highers, so applying first time round was never an option for me, will this disadvantage Me? I got mainly Bs and a few Cs. Do they look at school results despite me holding a high 2:1 in Biomedical Science? Apologies for the barrage of questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All the people I know who got in last year, their scores ranged from 620-690. When I was an high school leaver all my friends go in the 600s and got in so saying you need 700 is just not correct..

Some unis will just look at your degree and a 2.1 is what you need. Others require certain a levels as well. You need to research particular unis you are interested in Andre what they say.

As for a score of 625 I really wouldn't rule yourself out! Look at Keele and Sheffield for certain. Maybe hull York and I know a few who got into Manchester last year with scores of 620 and 630. Just email unis and ask them for requirements or look online.

Your work experience is amazing and will stand out. Just apply smartly! It is definitely not the end for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Sadly that score would not be sufficient for any UKCAT GEM course. You'll need to look at the couple that don't use admissions tests, 5 year courses (if you can afford the fees), or consider retrying next year.
    There are some that don't look at ukct. For example Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    All the people I know who got in last year, their scores ranged from 620-690. When I was an high school leaver all my friends go in the 600s and got in so saying you need 700 is just not correct..

Some unis will just look at your degree and a 2.1 is what you need. Others require certain a levels as well. You need to research particular unis you are interested in Andre what they say.

As for a score of 625 I really wouldn't rule yourself out! Look at Keele and Sheffield for certain. Maybe hull York and I know a few who got into Manchester last year with scores of 620 and 630. Just email unis and ask them for requirements or look online.

Your work experience is amazing and will stand out. Just apply smartly! It is definitely not the end for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay my bad, on most university websites I've browsed they don't mention any UKCAT cutoffs except certain unis known to be UKCAT heavy like KCL etc, will definitely do my research on which universities I can apply for and email all the ones I am interested in, hopefully hear back from them soon after I email then 😃

my work experience as an HCA has been fantastic, I have learnt so much and working as a Theatre HCA I get to watch surgery in various specialties first hand: ortho, gynae, general surgery etc, if anyone is able to get a theatre HCA job I would recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup, really didn't think I would get it.

Got 702.5. Done yours yet?
    Ah well done! Are you applying to Warwick then? Where else?

I sat it but my score is null and void as I have a retest due to an incident so I'm sitting it on 24th!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    Ah well done! Are you applying to Warwick then? Where else?

I sat it but my score is null and void as I have a retest due to an incident so I'm sitting it on 24th!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep I think I might as well go for it, 702.5 was good enough last year. I'll probably go for either Durham or Newcastle 5 year course and then 2 GAMSAT unis. Good luck for your retest!

ReputationRep:
    After over 20 applications and months of rejection, I've finally landed a HCA job! Hopefully getting into medicine won't take me that many applications...
    Congratulations! That's what I'm hoping to do, unfortunately most posts in my area are full time and I'm back at uni in a few weeks. Hopefully I can find one with fewer hours or at the very least hang on until the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmlg)
    Congratulations! That's what I'm hoping to do, unfortunately most posts in my area are full time and I'm back at uni in a few weeks. Hopefully I can find one with fewer hours or at the very least hang on until the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have any HCA experience? If so agency or bank work might be good for you during the university holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I think I might as well go for it, 702.5 was good enough last year. I'll probably go for either Durham or Newcastle 5 year course and then 2 GAMSAT unis. Good luck for your retest!
    5 year I am so jealous!!!!
    So you have or will take GAMSAT - hands down to you I was too scared to do so haha! Well done again for the job!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Received this reply from King's admissions earlier today:

'Thank you for your interest in studying at King’s . Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2016 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview. As a guide for applicants, for 2015/6 entry the majority of successful applicants had scored at least 630 for A100 and 720 for A102 on average.'

So, the top 25% UKCAT cut off no longer applies? I specifically enquired about graduate entry, but she wrote about the 5 year course average UKCAT being 630, so I'm not sure if everything she's written is regarding the 5 year course or both...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Received this reply from King's admissions earlier today:

'Thank you for your interest in studying at King’s . Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2016 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview. As a guide for applicants, for 2015/6 entry the majority of successful applicants had scored at least 630 for A100 and 720 for A102 on average.'

So, the top 25% UKCAT cut off no longer applies? I specifically enquired about graduate entry, but she wrote about the 5 year course average UKCAT being 630, so I'm not sure if everything she's written is regarding the 5 year course or both...
    I'd assume they are referring to how they select candidates for interview for both their 5 year and grad courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, did my UKCAT today and got 712.5. Not sure if this is a good enough score for any of the grad programmes, I was thinking of putting 1 grad and the rest undergrad. Does anyone know which grad schools I may have a chance at? Not doing the GAMSAT either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_meg_x)
    Hi guys, did my UKCAT today and got 712.5. Not sure if this is a good enough score for any of the grad programmes, I was thinking of putting 1 grad and the rest undergrad. Does anyone know which grad schools I may have a chance at? Not doing the GAMSAT either.
    Hey this is the same position as me, although I got a lower UKCAT score. I think a score of 712.5 is good enough for most grad programmes, however it is a very good if you are applying for undergrad, I would recommend maybe 2 of grad and 2 of undergrad to maximise chances of getting into Medical School, good luck and let us know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! Hope we are all good!

In need of some advice, I sat the UKCATSEN last week and got 2380, 510 in VR, 680 in QR, 580 in AR and 610 in DA, Band 1 in SJ.
    So this is obvs rubbish, and I'm banking on the GAMSAT going better...
    On set for a 1st in Physiology from the uni of Liverpool. lots of work exp, volunteering and community engagement...
    Just rubbish at entry exams clearly...
    Anyone got any advice??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.