OCR Physics A G484 - The Newtonian World - 11th June 2015 Watch

Futuremedic2096
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OliviaLin)
Hardly any of the standard questions came up.. What are OCR playing at? Literally.. I feel like 75% of the G484 specification wasn't even touched upon in that exam.. Where were all the definitions for additional marks? Where was Brownian motion? Kinetic theory of gases & assumptions? Experiments? CIRCULAR MOTION?

Ah I'm hoping they make the bigger unit easier since its worth more.. Seriously can't get over how every single OCR science exam has been a mockery.. One or two are fine to test your understanding.. But every one of them doesn't really give many people a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was nothing compared to chemistry, I think doing it first gave me perspective haha
Smug Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That was really easy. Will be pissed if I haven't got 90 UMS in this.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Futuremedic2096)
This was nothing compared to chemistry, I think doing it first gave me perspective haha
Lol I did better in chem than on this paper
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Do you need an A* to go to uni?
No I'm staying an extra year at college to do further maths then I'll be applying for 2016 entry.
After looking at the mark scheme I would ideally like to retake this paper but I've retaken quite a few modules from maths and physics already and I don't think It will look good if I retake more
rachelc142
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by doctor_2_be)
How did you find it overall?
I think I made a lot of silly mistakes and stuff led with the 6 marker at the end of Q1
erm I messed up Q1, 2a, and didn't recognise the damping and resonance graphs as damping and resonance. I just tried to think through them using the equations.
In short I did much worse than I should have. And I need an A* for my firm choice uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
suprisefish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hardly any of the standard questions came up.. What are OCR playing at? Literally.. I feel like 75% of the G484 specification wasn't even touched upon in that exam.. Where were all the definitions for additional marks? Where was Brownian motion? Kinetic theory of gases & assumptions? Experiments? CIRCULAR MOTION?

Ah I'm hoping they make the bigger unit easier since its worth more.. Seriously can't get over how every single OCR science exam has been a mockery.. One or two are fine to test your understanding.. But every one of them doesn't really give many people a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe they realised that physics isn't about who has the best memory, its about who understands the concepts properly. I thought it was a very good paper cos almost all the marks could be gained by understanding the theory and there were basically no questions where you just had to memorise the mark scheme.
Futuremedic2096
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Lol I did better in chem than on this paper
I think I've done about the same raw but I imagine ums will be higher in chemistry
Futuremedic2096
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by suprisefish)
Maybe they realised that physics isn't about who has the best memory, its about who understands the concepts properly. I thought it was a very good paper cos almost all the marks could be gained by understanding the theory and there were basically no questions where you just had to memorise the mark scheme.
I think I would have to agree with you, awkward in places but yeah it wasn't end if the world
DoctorDren
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So i got around 40-44 thats just enough for me to give up on an A in physics
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guys is there a unofficial mark scheme? If so can you please link it to me? :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
MathsAddict
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guys who ever got c3 its next XD better start preparing,forget about this module for now it was awkward but meh.
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tom540)
See the unofficial mark scheme just above your post
Ty didn't see it earlier when I posted.
tory_lee_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
According to the mark scheme I got around 50... This has to be some sort of joke I never do well in physics :cry2:
Exaltation
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
G481 and G482 were also like G484 so I wouldn't expect G485 to be any better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ddddavies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is the unofficial mark scheme up online? if so, can you link me to it please
SH0405
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ddddavies)
Is the unofficial mark scheme up online? if so, can you link me to it please
Yes, it is.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3397779
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by suprisefish)
I agree but I think it was unfair to suddenly change the style of the paper
If I would have known it was going to be like that I would have spent my time practicing questions from a range of sources rather than trying to memorise mark schemes because that's what you needed to do to do well in previous years
OliviaLin
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexParmenter)
I agree but I think it was unfair to suddenly change the style of the paper
If I would have known it was going to be like that I would have spent my time practicing questions from a range of sources rather than trying to memorise mark schemes because that's what you needed to do to do well in previous years
Exactly. Literally.. Exams are meant to be about testing your knowledge of using the theoretical content you've learnt and using it practically in realistic hypothetical situations. However, every year the theme seems to be to learn the points and key terms stated on every markscheme and make sure you remember it all for the typical questions that come up. So that's how they've indoctrinated us to process a question.

This time, they've actually gone and changed their style which has completely thrown everyone because we are so used to doing exams for the statistical purpose of making it into the top however many percent for the top UMS.

I'm fuming about OCR but it's out of our hands now.. We've just got to hope for the best & if it doesn't go our way - regardless of how hard we've studied - then let's just be grateful for the new Clearing process UCAS have made for this year.
JackNorman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Well that wasn't obvious

It said it was solar powered

So energy from sun converted into mass... E=mc²

So people might have thought mass stays same, because it was energy converted into the mass of ions
That'd be a lot of solar energy. I don't even remember seeing that it was solar powered 😂 wrote it wouldn't change then saw it ws three marks and realised the mass would decrease
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by JackNorman)
That'd be a lot of solar energy. I don't even remember seeing that it was solar powered 😂 wrote it wouldn't change then saw it ws three marks and realised the mass would decrease
I read into the wrong questions

Should have read into the ****ing SHM, and I would have seen 8Hz was a natural frequency, and I would have done the resonance ****ing graph lmao I'm so annoyed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads