The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Just a timely reminder to check your Spam/Junk Mail folder regularly.

Automated emails sent by Universities (including invitations to interviews and applicant days etc) can be filtered out of your inbox as spam - if you don't check your Spam/Junk Mail folder regularly its easy to miss this important stuff.
Hi guys, any advice about interview prep? Especially MMIs and group activities. Thanks!:smile:
Does anyone know which ukcat unis have the best interview to offer ratio?

I.e. If you get an interview, you are really likely to get an offer
Original post by yoyo24

Manchester is 900 ish interviews for 600 ish offers which is a pretty good ratio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GenericEm
Hi guys, any advice about interview prep? Especially MMIs and group activities. Thanks!:smile:

read the interview prep books.
Remember to always back up your opinion. Even if halfway through you realise that isnt what you actually want to say, changing your mind would be worse than providing a good explanation. Make sure you sound confident.
For medical issues, always use the 4 principles approach. Have another look at the UKCAT SJT section or on junior doctors SJT questions if you wanna be really prepared.
Respect everyone in your group, don't try to steal all the time for yourself: allow and encourage others to talk.
Using examples from your work experience to back up your opinions is always a good idea.

Other than that, really emphasize that medicine is what you really want :smile:. Good luck with it
I got an interview from Sheffield yesterday! :smile: so now I have Birmingham and Sheffield, waiting for Bristol and Kings
Original post by yoyo24

This wont tell you anything useful. It all depends on the strength of your application/interview performance, not how many other people apply or are interviewed.
Thank you!
What grade did you get on your UK cat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need help plz

I made it pretty clear in ucas im resitting c1 and c2. Sheffield allow this but they say on their website you have to complete A levels on the first attempt. Newcastle say the same thing on their website but ive heard they dont allow resits recently... I already applied to newcastle cos i thought saying the same thing would mean the same policy and now im freaking out theyre going to reject me. What do???

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chrisdale98
Need help plz

I made it pretty clear in ucas im resitting c1 and c2. Sheffield allow this but they say on their website you have to complete A levels on the first attempt. Newcastle say the same thing on their website but ive heard they dont allow resits recently... I already applied to newcastle cos i thought saying the same thing would mean the same policy and now im freaking out theyre going to reject me. What do???

Thanks

Just email the admissions tutors and ask. Why would they reject you if you haven't even resat yet?
Need help plz

Thanks

I would phone or email them to put your mind at rest. If they don't allow module resits then you will have to decide to either accept that Newcastle is not for you or not do the resits. I have a similar situation with Nottingham who only allow one module resit per A level. Ideally I would like to resit both C1 and C2 to improve my UMS but I entered only C2 as a resit on my UCAS form. If I don't get an offer from Nottingham then I intend to resit both C1 and C2 and email UCAS and my other choices (if they offer me interviews) to let them know of the change (my other choices allow more than one module resit).
Original post by HopelessMedic
Just email the admissions tutors and ask. Why would they reject you if you haven't even resat yet?

Well if i get an offer and they find out i resat they might pull it i dunno haha
Original post by DJP1999
I would phone or email them to put your mind at rest. If they don't allow module resits then you will have to decide to either accept that Newcastle is not for you or not do the resits. I have a similar situation with Nottingham who only allow one module resit per A level. Ideally I would like to resit both C1 and C2 to improve my UMS but I entered only C2 as a resit on my UCAS form. If I don't get an offer from Nottingham then I intend to resit both C1 and C2 and email UCAS and my other choices (if they offer me interviews) to let them know of the change (my other choices allow more than one module resit).

Thanks! If they dont then ill have a very hard decision. My AS average in maths is 78 UMS and if i have a bad exam at A2 then i take a risk in not even getting the grades at all! But if i resit and dont get offers from the others i have to gap year... what would you do in my situation? (If newcastle dont permit them that is)
Thanks! If they dont then ill have a very hard decision. My AS average in maths is 78 UMS and if i have a bad exam at A2 then i take a risk in not even getting the grades at all! But if i resit and dont get offers from the others i have to gap year... what would you do in my situation? (If newcastle dont permit them that is)

I know exactly how you feel and I may face the same dilemma as Nottingham is by far my first choice. I would see how your A2 units are going in a couple of months and if they are going well I would not do the resits if you get an offer from Newcastle (if they won't allow you to resit). However if these are not going well I would do the resits as you don't want to risk not getting 3 As because then not only would you not get into Newcastle anyway you would have pretty much blown my chances of getting in anywhere (even with a gap year!).

Basically wait and see for a bit - see what interviews/offers you get and make a decision just before the resit application deadline....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DJP1999
I know exactly how you feel and I may face the same dilemma as Nottingham is by far my first choice. I would see how your A2 units are going in a couple of months and if they are going well I would not do the resits if you get an offer from Newcastle (if they won't allow you to resit). However if these are not going well I would do the resits as you don't want to risk not getting 3 As because then not only would you not get into Newcastle anyway you would have pretty much blown my chances of getting in anywhere (even with a gap year!).

Basically wait and see for a bit - see what interviews/offers you get and make a decision just before the resit application deadline....

Thanks so much. We wont get offers before the deadline tho will we?
Original post by DJP1999

Im pretty sure you are still permitted to resit, its just they will not be counted. Call them and ask because I think its pretty unfair that just because they dont count it you are not able to do it.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Im pretty sure you are still permitted to resit, its just they will not be counted. Call them and ask because I think its pretty unfair that just because they dont count it you are not able to do it.

Oh thank god. Ill do the resit then. Im a partners applicant so even if i get an offer its ABB so wouldnt matter if the resit didnt count for newcastle. Mental breakdown averted guys thanks!!
Original post by welshgirl7
Just got an interview for Cardiff!! So happy😄😄😄

Congratulations! That's amazing! Do you mind me asking when you sent your UCAS application off? x
Original post by Haskii
Hey guys. We have a group chat on whatsapp for medicine applicants so we can update one another and help one another out. If you would like to be a part of it, pm me your full name and number and I will add you in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great idea! Don't you just need our number though? Technically not full name? (I know some people on here don't want people to know their full name for anonymity)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending