13.09%
    St George's
    5.57%
    Other
    25.77%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    Yes, waiting for interview from Cardif🙏 I got 10A* and A for GCSE, UKCAT: 2020 ( 673) , predicted A*A*A for a-levels, so i am just praying at the moment
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Guys do you have any tips on how to do well in the UKcat? And when to take it etc?

Do you think its a bad idea that I'm doing work experience in the Easter holidays (a week out of it)

Oh and do you have any website recomendations to keep up with medical related news? (I heard that interviewers ask about it/interested in interviewees opinions on it)
    I think the best way to do well in UKCAT is just to do loads of practice and start early! I used Medify and found it very useful as it has thousands of questions and tells you how well you are doing on each section. I also used a book, think it was called 'How to master the UKCAT' which i thought was really good because it broke down the different sections and explained how to go about the different types of questions. It especially helped my abstract reasoning.
    I took mine in September this year but I would probably advise doing it in August because it got in the way of my school work so I ended up being quite behind with that. Also by doing it in August you have loads of free time because it's summer holidays so you have time to revise lots. And it's cheaper in August which is always a bonus!!

Personally I would be a bit wary about doing work experience in the Easter holidays because that's getting close to exam time and you will probably have started revising then. That's just me though so if you can manage your time well I'm sure it will be fine. And you do have an extra week where you can focus on revision.

Keeping up to date with medical news is really important! I've got the BBC news app on my phone and on the 'my news' bit have selected for health news to be focused on. It's probably best to just learn one or two stories in a bit of detail because they'll want to know your opinion of it, why it could cause controversy, why will it have a positive impact in the future of medicine etc.

Hope that helped!! xx

ReputationRep:
    Just a timely reminder to check your Spam/Junk Mail folder regularly.

Automated emails sent by Universities (including invitations to interviews and applicant days etc) can be filtered out of your inbox as spam - if you don't check your Spam/Junk Mail folder regularly its easy to miss this important stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, any advice about interview prep? Especially MMIs and group activities. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which ukcat unis have the best interview to offer ratio?

I.e. If you get an interview, you are really likely to get an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo24)

Manchester is 900 ish interviews for 600 ish offers which is a pretty good ratio

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenericEm)
    Hi guys, any advice about interview prep? Especially MMIs and group activities. Thanks!
    read the interview prep books.
    Remember to always back up your opinion. Even if halfway through you realise that isnt what you actually want to say, changing your mind would be worse than providing a good explanation. Make sure you sound confident.
    For medical issues, always use the 4 principles approach. Have another look at the UKCAT SJT section or on junior doctors SJT questions if you wanna be really prepared.
    Respect everyone in your group, don't try to steal all the time for yourself: allow and encourage others to talk.
    Using examples from your work experience to back up your opinions is always a good idea.

Other than that, really emphasize that medicine is what you really want . Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview from Sheffield yesterday! so now I have Birmingham and Sheffield, waiting for Bristol and Kings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo24)

This wont tell you anything useful. It all depends on the strength of your application/interview performance, not how many other people apply or are interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    What grade did you get on your UK cat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Need help plz

I made it pretty clear in ucas im resitting c1 and c2. Sheffield allow this but they say on their website you have to complete A levels on the first attempt. Newcastle say the same thing on their website but ive heard they dont allow resits recently... I already applied to newcastle cos i thought saying the same thing would mean the same policy and now im freaking out theyre going to reject me. What do???

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisdale98)
    Need help plz

I made it pretty clear in ucas im resitting c1 and c2. Sheffield allow this but they say on their website you have to complete A levels on the first attempt. Newcastle say the same thing on their website but ive heard they dont allow resits recently... I already applied to newcastle cos i thought saying the same thing would mean the same policy and now im freaking out theyre going to reject me. What do???

Thanks
    Just email the admissions tutors and ask. Why would they reject you if you haven't even resat yet?

ReputationRep:
    Need help plz

Thanks
    I would phone or email them to put your mind at rest. If they don't allow module resits then you will have to decide to either accept that Newcastle is not for you or not do the resits. I have a similar situation with Nottingham who only allow one module resit per A level. Ideally I would like to resit both C1 and C2 to improve my UMS but I entered only C2 as a resit on my UCAS form. If I don't get an offer from Nottingham then I intend to resit both C1 and C2 and email UCAS and my other choices (if they offer me interviews) to let them know of the change (my other choices allow more than one module resit).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Just email the admissions tutors and ask. Why would they reject you if you haven't even resat yet?
    Well if i get an offer and they find out i resat they might pull it i dunno haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJP1999)
    I would phone or email them to put your mind at rest. If they don't allow module resits then you will have to decide to either accept that Newcastle is not for you or not do the resits. I have a similar situation with Nottingham who only allow one module resit per A level. Ideally I would like to resit both C1 and C2 to improve my UMS but I entered only C2 as a resit on my UCAS form. If I don't get an offer from Nottingham then I intend to resit both C1 and C2 and email UCAS and my other choices (if they offer me interviews) to let them know of the change (my other choices allow more than one module resit).
    Thanks! If they dont then ill have a very hard decision. My AS average in maths is 78 UMS and if i have a bad exam at A2 then i take a risk in not even getting the grades at all! But if i resit and dont get offers from the others i have to gap year... what would you do in my situation? (If newcastle dont permit them that is)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! If they dont then ill have a very hard decision. My AS average in maths is 78 UMS and if i have a bad exam at A2 then i take a risk in not even getting the grades at all! But if i resit and dont get offers from the others i have to gap year... what would you do in my situation? (If newcastle dont permit them that is)
    I know exactly how you feel and I may face the same dilemma as Nottingham is by far my first choice. I would see how your A2 units are going in a couple of months and if they are going well I would not do the resits if you get an offer from Newcastle (if they won't allow you to resit). However if these are not going well I would do the resits as you don't want to risk not getting 3 As because then not only would you not get into Newcastle anyway you would have pretty much blown my chances of getting in anywhere (even with a gap year!).

Basically wait and see for a bit - see what interviews/offers you get and make a decision just before the resit application deadline....

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel and I may face the same dilemma as Nottingham is by far my first choice. I would see how your A2 units are going in a couple of months and if they are going well I would not do the resits if you get an offer from Newcastle (if they won't allow you to resit). However if these are not going well I would do the resits as you don't want to risk not getting 3 As because then not only would you not get into Newcastle anyway you would have pretty much blown my chances of getting in anywhere (even with a gap year!).

Basically wait and see for a bit - see what interviews/offers you get and make a decision just before the resit application deadline....
    Thanks so much. We wont get offers before the deadline tho will we?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im pretty sure you are still permitted to resit, its just they will not be counted. Call them and ask because I think its pretty unfair that just because they dont count it you are not able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Im pretty sure you are still permitted to resit, its just they will not be counted. Call them and ask because I think its pretty unfair that just because they dont count it you are not able to do it.
    Oh thank god. Ill do the resit then. Im a partners applicant so even if i get an offer its ABB so wouldnt matter if the resit didnt count for newcastle. Mental breakdown averted guys thanks!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.